The Student Room Group

Why do people go to uni if it is a waste of time?

Like I know someone with an English lit degree with creative writing
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Study a subject they enjoy and then use it to apply to any role that requires an undergrad degree for consideration ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

NB. Your friend will probably be more employable than someone with a COMPSCI degree all said and done. Fair play to them.
Original post by Admit-One
Study a subject they enjoy and then use it to apply to any role that requires an undergrad degree for consideration ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

NB. Your friend will probably be more employable than someone with a COMPSCI degree all said and done. Fair play to them.

How is an English lit degree better than a computer science degree?
- They do not know what the alternatives are
- They are being pressured into it by their parents
- They are being pressured into it my other family members
- They are going because their friends are
- They are going because they think it will give them a good job when in most cases it might not
- They are going for the fun parts of university, and they do not know what the reality of higher education actually entails
Original post by Anony345533
How is an English lit degree better than a computer science degree?

I didn't say better. I said they'd be more employable.
Because unless you're doing some mickey mouse degree at some bottom tier uni that has no connections and offers no work opportunities it's not a waste of time. You can do many things at university connect with all kinds of people for professional and personal reasons, get work opportunities you'd never have had if you didn't go to university. There's also a lot of people who think doing exams is enough to secure them a future and do a sweet fanny adams about anything else then take to the Internet to whinge once they graduate because they feel bewilidered. You should take these complaints with a pinch of salt because it's very likely the one telling the story is witholding information and not letting you see the full picture.
This sounds a little like trying to provoke reactions :rolleyes:

Do you think they are more employable than someone without a degree?
Original post by ROTL94 3
Because unless you're doing some mickey mouse degree at some bottom tier uni that has no connections and offers no work opportunities it's not a waste of time. You can do many things at university connect with all kinds of people for professional and personal reasons, get work opportunities you'd never have had if you didn't go to university. There's also a lot of people who think doing exams is enough to secure them a future and do a sweet fanny adams about anything else then take to the Internet to whinge once they graduate because they feel bewilidered. You should take these complaints with a pinch of salt because it's very likely the one telling the story is witholding information and not letting you see the full picture.

I'd rather just leave education as soon as possible because uni and education does seem like it's a waste of time unless it's law or medicine. I know so many people who do go though and they study business marketing, economics, English literature and sociology is a Mickey mouse degree. What next? You can't get a job from studying academics, you are more likely to get a job from vocational studies at uni
(edited 1 year ago)
Do you think they are more employable than someone without a degree?

Broadly speaking, yes.

(Uni certainly isn't the right or only route for everyone though.)
I'd rather just get leave education as soon as possible because uni and education does seem like it's a waste of time unless it's law or medicine. I know so many people who do go though and they study business marketing, economics, English literature and sociology is a Mickey mouse degree. What next? You can't get a job from studying academics, you are more likely to get a job from vocational studies at uni

I do law. It's not vocational. You don't automatically qualify to practice law once you complete your law degree unlike in the US. You're missing the big picture. University presents you with a lot of opportunities that someone with 2 GCSEs and no other qualifications just wouldn't have or would have to work for a long time to have. It's the student's responsibility to engage with those opportunities. It's not a failing of the individual university or universities as a whole if students choose not to engage with it and don't take those opportunities.

You must be trolling, get out of here.

A computer science degree can easily lead to jobs like software development or any other jobs in the tech industry. Almost every single person from my university who got a BSc/MSc computer science degree is either a graduate software developer or has a job in tech industry.

Where does an English lit degree lead you? English teacher? Author? The only thing English lit students probably know how to do is how to write a 10 page analysis on a useless poem that nobody hears about. I don't see how this makes them more employable. You're chatting nonsense mate.
Original post by ROTL94 3
I do law. It's not vocational. You don't automatically qualify to practice law once you complete your law degree unlike in the US. You're missing the big picture. University presents you with a lot of opportunities that someone with 2 GCSEs and no other qualifications just wouldn't have or would have to work for a long time to have. It's the student's responsibility to engage with those opportunities. It's not a failing of the individual university or universities as a whole if students choose not to engage with it and don't take those opportunities.

My friends went to uni but for me, I am glad I am going down the apprenticeship route because even though it limits me I am trained in the sector and gaining experience and I am getting a job at the end. Working looks for experience not qualifications so much. Some entry level jobs do ask for A Levels and equivalent though.
Are you just trying to make yourself feel better by invalidating other people's choices?
Original post by username6046139
You must be trolling, get out of here.

A computer science degree can easily lead to jobs like software development or any other jobs in the tech industry. Almost every single person from my university who got a BSc/MSc computer science degree is either a graduate software developer or has a job in tech industry.

Where does an English lit degree lead you? English teacher? Author? The only thing English lit students probably know how to do is how to write a 10 page analysis on a useless poem that nobody hears about. I don't see how this makes them more employable. You're chatting nonsense mate.

Come back to me you’ve spent some time looking at employment figures for COMPSCI grads. A minimum wage donkey from anywhere in the world can rattle out some code. Takes skill to write good copy to a specific audience. Can’t do that from an open plan office in Bangalore.

“Every person from my uni”. Reviewed a few hundred LinkedIn profiles did you? Don’t make me laugh.
Edit: Placeholder for some unemployment figures/articles that will make the OP's eyes pop out.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by black tea
Are you just trying to make yourself feel better by invalidating other people's choices?

Well I know with apprenticeships there is a lot of competition and a lot of people don't have degrees, they don't waste their time at uni.
Well I know with apprenticeships there is a lot of competition and a lot of people don't have degrees, they don't waste their time at uni.

as has already been pointed out to you, university is not a waste of time for the majority of people
Come back to me you’ve spent some time looking at employment figures for COMPSCI grads. A minimum wage donkey from anywhere in the world can rattle out some code. Takes skill to write good copy to a specific audience. Can’t do that from an open plan office in Bangalore.

“Every person from my uni”. Reviewed a few hundred LinkedIn profiles did you? Don’t make me laugh.

I just did and almost every single source says that the unemployment rate for computer science graduates is around 10%, which is very low. I am not sure where you're getting your figures from, but you must be dreaming. Computer science graduates are highly employable because they show strong problem solving skills and have experience using a range of technologies. They don't just know how to 'code'. Meanwhile an English lit student just knows how to read a poem.
Anywhere in the world can rattle out some code. Takes skill to write good copy to a specific audience. Can’t do that from an open plan office in Bangalore.

I can name all my favourite authors, I can picture their faces, have signed books, engage with them, buy other work merch and generally enjoy years of their work.

I don't give a tuppeny **** for who writes the code I use :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending