The Student Room Group

Really need some advice

Didn't end up reaching my med offer, been tryna figure out stuff.

Since I still have my biomed offer I was given an idea by a friend.

Essentially resit yr 13 while doing my biomed degree. Reapply for medicine at the same time too and if my resit grades are good enough to get me an offer and on A level results day I end up getting into the med Uni, then I'll drop out of biomed and go there. If it still doesn't work out I continue with biomed and try for postgrad med.

I'm aware only some med schools take resits however I just need to get into one. I've called all the clearing lines for almost every uni that does med but no luck, basically none of them had any places available to begin with.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MannyNFM

Essentially resit yr 13 while doing my biomed degree. Reapply for medicine at the same time too and if my resit grades are good enough to get me an offer and on A level results day I end up getting into the med Uni, then I'll drop out of biomed and go there. If it still doesn't work out I continue with biomed and try for postgrad med.

I'm aware only some med schools take resits however I just need to get into one. I've called all the clearing lines for almost every uni that does med but no luck, basically none of them had any places available to begin with.

Have you tried the University of Plymouth?

Our number is 0333 241 6929.

Our lines are open until 9pm BST tnight and open from 8am BST tomorrow morning 😄

Wishing you luck and feel free to ask any questions you might have and we'll aim to reply as soon as we can.

- Amelia, University of Plymouth
Reply 2
Make sure to do your research because some med schools won’t let you apply if you have starting and undergrad degree
Reply 3

Are you a home student? What would you do for the finance? As the finance is only available on the biomed degree?
Reply 4
Original post by University of Plymouth

Our lines are open until 9pm BST tnight and open from 8am BST tomorrow morning 😄

Wishing you luck and feel free to ask any questions you might have and we'll aim to reply as soon as we can.

Are there any clearing spaces for med?
Reply 5
No clearing places for Plymouth, just called them
Reply 6
I could write a really long message. But I’ll put it this way instead: if it’s such a great idea, why do you think more people don’t do it?
Reply 7
Yeah I'm home, I've planned just to apply for SF that's not the issue

Original post by Lala_brit
Are you a home student? What would you do for the finance? As the finance is only available on the biomed degree?
Reply 8
Original post by University of Plymouth

Yeah I did try before you sent the message and you had no places
Reply 9
Original post by TMTDRN
I could write a really long message. But I’ll put it this way instead: if it’s such a great idea, why do you think more people don’t do it?

I understand the workload is immense if I try to do this path. Need to focus on getting 65-70% in all my uni assessments as well as revise immensely for my a levels. Alongside that I still have my UCAT to do again and my interview prep if I get invited to one.

It's crazy, so I could just leave uni for this year and just plainly resit my a levels.
Reply 10
I understand the workload is immense if I try to do this path. Need to focus on getting 65-70% in all my uni assessments as well as revise immensely for my a levels. Alongside that I still have my UCAT to do again and my interview prep if I get invited to one.

It's crazy, so I could just leave uni for this year and just plainly resit my a levels.

I do believe that UCAS does require you to disclose whether you are on another course already at the point of application. You will also possibly have to self fund one of your finances years at university, which is potentially about £18k.

you’re trying to have your cake and eat it too. If it were as easy as you were making it sound, everyone would do it. You’re potentially wasting a year of fees on an education you don’t want when you could be using it to work and save money. You’re also taking a university space and wasting a lot of people’s time. It’s an incredibly immature approach to study.
Reply 11
Original post by TMTDRN
I do believe that UCAS does require you to disclose whether you are on another course already at the point of application. You will also possibly have to self fund one of your finances years at university, which is potentially about £18k.

you’re trying to have your cake and eat it too. If it were as easy as you were making it sound, everyone would do it. You’re potentially wasting a year of fees on an education you don’t want when you could be using it to work and save money. You’re also taking a university space and wasting a lot of people’s time. It’s an incredibly immature approach to study.

What could you suggest or advise that I do, that's the whole reason I'm here. I need help, I'm confused
Reply 12
Why would I need to self fund one of my years? Could I not apply for student finance each year at the university I'm attending?
Reply 13
What could you suggest or advise that I do, that's the whole reason I'm here. I need help, I'm confused

Take a year out and resit your A levels. Start a new application, get a job, volunteer. Do not waste your time with a degree you have limited interest in and potentially no intention of completing.

alternatively, do something else entirely with the A levels you have. But not merely as a stepping stone to medicine.

Can I ask what's stopping you from taking a gap year, resitting and reapplying? Gives you time to gain work experience, build savings and a chance to take a proper break.

hey im in the exact same position as you right now if it makes you feel better haha honestly i wna die i feel like ive fuked my life over

Hi @MannyNFM I'm sorry you missed your offer. Please try not to worry, there are plenty options going forward.

You could resit A levels, but I have a couple of friends who did this at the same time as a biochemistry degree to try and get the A levels for medicine and found it really difficult to juggle. If you're going to resit, it might be worth considering staying at home, as you might not do as well as you're hoping to if you've just moved to a new place!

You could also look into graduate entry courses to, or apply to do undergraduate medicine after doing a different degree.

Good luck, we're rooting for you!

Nellie (3rd Year Medical Student)
Reply 17
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @MannyNFM I'm sorry you missed your offer. Please try not to worry, there are plenty options going forward.

You could resit A levels, but I have a couple of friends who did this at the same time as a biochemistry degree to try and get the A levels for medicine and found it really difficult to juggle. If you're going to resit, it might be worth considering staying at home, as you might not do as well as you're hoping to if you've just moved to a new place!

You could also look into graduate entry courses to, or apply to do undergraduate medicine after doing a different degree.

Good luck, we're rooting for you!

Nellie (3rd Year Medical Student)

Thank you very much for your help and support, you honestly don't understand how much it means

Original post by yukariluvr
hey im in the exact same position as you right now if it makes you feel better haha honestly i wna die i feel like ive fuked my life over

Thanks for letting me know, glad someone is experiencing the same but not at the same time. It's upsetting how close we were to getting into one of the most respected and competitive courses ever, it was right in our hands but the bums that made these crazy grade boundaries just had to ruin it for us. My life is finished and this whole situation really doesnt help when you got south asian parents too

Original post by KA_P
Can I ask what's stopping you from taking a gap year, resitting and reapplying? Gives you time to gain work experience, build savings and a chance to take a proper break.

Although i wouldn't mind resitting, I can't take a gap year. I would have done so if my a level grades were fine but it just feels like if I take a gap year with the grades I have now I'm wasting a year of my life. Medicine already is long and I understand people rarely get in first try but I'm still trying to get my degree as soon as possible. If you get what im trying to say
Reply 18
Thank you very much for your help and support, you honestly don't understand how much it means

Thanks for letting me know, glad someone is experiencing the same but not at the same time. It's upsetting how close we were to getting into one of the most respected and competitive courses ever, it was right in our hands but the bums that made these crazy grade boundaries just had to ruin it for us. My life is finished and this whole situation really doesnt help when you got south asian parents too

Although i wouldn't mind resitting, I can't take a gap year. I would have done so if my a level grades were fine but it just feels like if I take a gap year with the grades I have now I'm wasting a year of my life. Medicine already is long and I understand people rarely get in first try but I'm still trying to get my degree as soon as possible. If you get what im trying to say

It sounds like you’re not willing to have a difficult conversation that could make all the difference in the world. You’re getting a lot of advice along the same theme and you’re mostly ignoring it. You’ll struggle to find anyone on here who’ll support what you’re doing. You sound like you’re about to waste a lot of money and time all to avoid a difficult conversation with your parents.

hi I’m so sorry this has happened to you:frown: balancing uni and resits seem like so much what if u did biomed and then grad entry med ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending