The Student Room Group

Why do people go to uni if it is a waste of time?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Admit-One
Come back to me you’ve spent some time looking at employment figures for COMPSCI grads. A minimum wage donkey from anywhere in the world can rattle out some code. Takes skill to write good copy to a specific audience. Can’t do that from an open plan office in Bangalore.

“Every person from my uni”. Reviewed a few hundred LinkedIn profiles did you? Don’t make me laugh.

😂 seems you may have angered the STEMLords with your comments here. This amuses me.
A. It's been part of parent(s) master plan since birth
B.Peer Pressure
C.Why not (ugh)
I know a girl got a script writing degree and works in a shoe shop and she is taking film courses at the met.
Original post by username6046147
I just did and almost every single source says that the unemployment rate for computer science graduates is around 10%, which is very low. I am not sure where you're getting your figures from, but you must be dreaming. Computer science graduates are highly employable because they show strong problem solving skills and have experience using a range of technologies. They don't just know how to 'code'. Meanwhile an English lit student just knows how to read a poem.

I’m sorry the COMPSCI dream of instant employability is over and has been for a decade or more. (I’d also look into what kind of roles they’re going into.)

You seem to be conflating an emotional “I think poems are silly, tee-hee!” position, (which you’ve brought up twice, adding nothing of substance), with “English at uni is a waste of time” which you haven’t been able to back up.
I’m sorry the COMPSCI dream of instant employability is over and has been for a decade or more. (I’d also look into what kind of roles they’re going into.)

You seem to be conflating an emotional “I think poems are silly, tee-hee!” position, (which you’ve brought up twice, adding nothing of substance), with “English at uni is a waste of time” which you haven’t been able to back up.

I am just being realistic. What company needs someone who can read and write poems? It's a valid argument. Companies don't care that you can write a poem or create your own story. It's just how it is. I haven't seen a single job that requires creative writing skills. It's a perfectly valid argument. Show me a job advert which requires an English degree with creative writing skills or whatever skills you get from writing poems. Meanwhile, computer science degrees are needed everywhere. Go to indeed and you will see countless numbers of tech roles that prefer computer science graduates. The truth hurts, but it is the truth, sorry.

That's why most English grads go into jobs not even related to their degree because essentially they have no other choice but to switch careers due to the lack of career opportunities.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by username6046187
I am just being realistic. What company needs someone who can read and write poems? It's a valid argument. Companies don't care that you can write a poem or create your own story. It's just how it is. I haven't seen a single job that requires creative writing skills. It's a perfectly valid argument. Show me a job advert which requires an English degree with creative writing skills or whatever skills you get from writing poems. Meanwhile, computer science degrees are needed everywhere. Go to indeed and you will see countless numbers of tech roles that prefer computer science graduates. The truth hurts, but it is the truth, sorry.

That's why most English grads go into jobs not even related to their degree because essentially they have no other choice but to switch careers due to the lack of career opportunities.

Companies may not need someone who can read or write poems, but they all need people who can read and write well.

In all honesty, quicker for you to just write "I don't know what an English Lit & Creative Writing degree entails, or why employers in every sector value people who can write coherently" :biggrin:

You also seem think that unless someone becomes poet laureate, or the next Lee Child, then they have 'switched careers' and you've caught them out in a gotcha moment. They're using their skillset in their day to day role, that's the point.

So anyway, what evidence are you bringing to the table, beyond blurting out "the tRUtH hurTs" as if it's a statement of fact?
People need to understand that the value of a degree isn't just based on the content that you learn, but also the skills you gain from it. For example, someone who excels in pure mathematics will show great problem-solving skills even if their job doesn't actually involve any pure mathematics.
Original post by Anony345533
My friends went to uni but for me, I am glad I am going down the apprenticeship route because even though it limits me I am trained in the sector and gaining experience and I am getting a job at the end. Working looks for experience not qualifications so much. Some entry level jobs do ask for A Levels and equivalent though.

Thats good for you I guess but people are different. If someone wants to waste 30k on a useless degree than that's their decision.
Lots of careers require degree level knowledge so it isn't a waste of time in those instances.
Companies may not need someone who can read or write poems, but they all need people who can read and write well.

In all honesty, quicker for you to just write "I don't know what an English Lit & Creative Writing degree entails, or why employers in every sector value people who can write coherently" :biggrin:

You also seem think that unless someone becomes poet laureate, or the next Lee Child, then they have 'switched careers' and you've caught them out in a gotcha moment. They're using their skillset in their day to day role, that's the point.

So anyway, what evidence are you bringing to the table, beyond blurting out "the tRUtH hurTs" as if it's a statement of fact?

But you don't need a degree in English lit to be able to write and read well. I got a grade 9 in GCSE english literature and grade 7 in GCSE english language and I never felt that I needed to do a degree in English lit to be able to write or read well. In fact, for most companies having a GCSE grade 4 is enough. For most jobs, GCSE english language pass is enough to get a job.

I am not saying that English lit degrees are completely useless, but more like, completely unnecessary. I can display the same skills that you can without having an English lit degree. I have graduated from university in a STEM subject and there were hundreds of jobs that I have come across that require computer science degrees which is why it took me longer to find it, because I was at a disadvantage due to the fact that I didn't have a computer science degree. I have had a few months of job searching experience to be able to confirm that computer science is a valuable degree. Lots of companies prefer computer science grads.

Quite.
Reply 30
Study a subject they enjoy and then use it to apply to any role that requires an undergrad degree for consideration ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

NB. Your friend will probably be more employable than someone with a COMPSCI degree all said and done. Fair play to them.

Just not true is it lmao
Moved to educational debate and some people might believe that going to uni isn't a waste of time.
Original post by username6046208
But you don't need a degree in English lit to be able to write and read well. I got a grade 9 in GCSE english literature and grade 7 in GCSE english language and I never felt that I needed to do a degree in English lit to be able to write or read well. In fact, for most companies having a GCSE grade 4 is enough. For most jobs, GCSE english language pass is enough to get a job.

I am not saying that English lit degrees are completely useless, but more like, completely unnecessary. I can display the same skills that you can without having an English lit degree. I have graduated from university in a STEM subject and there were hundreds of jobs that I have come across that require computer science degrees which is why it took me longer to find it, because I was at a disadvantage due to the fact that I didn't have a computer science degree. I have had a few months of job searching experience to be able to confirm that computer science is a valuable degree. Lots of companies prefer computer science grads.

"Writing well" to pass GCSE at grade 4 is not equivalent to "writing well" at uni level - or "writing well" generally. There is so much content published and on the internet that is poorly written and even contains basic grammar errrors. Writing and communication skills are in demand for employers. I read recently that there is a surplus of STEM jobs, but not enough graduates with soft skills like communications to fill them.

An English lit degree also develops analytical skills.
it's not a waste of time when you get money from the government you will never have to pay back.
Maby they dk what they want to do and just pick a subject they think they like
Original post by username6046208

You are talking about a job. We are talking about a career.

so many people in the companies I have worked for recently make spelling and basic grammatical errors. I am talking about the workers, but management doesn’t!

My son graduated from Oxford with a degree in German, which, according to you is a waste of time. However his confidence grew and he expressed himself better and better, both orally and on paper. He could mix in all kinds of circles and with the many different nationalities of his fellow students. Now he is a ship broker. His study skills, learnt at Oxford, enabled him to pass some very tough professional examinations (he was one of only two people in the world to pass). He also speaks to ship owners and companies all over the world every day and finds it fascinating. The ship owners find him very interesting as well and enjoy chatting to him. This translates into sales.

University helps us expand our horizons and look beyond our own narrow social circle and think big.

I am not against apprenticeships. The place where I work has them and I am a huge fan. One of the former technicians is at the head of the company and rightly so. However the next layer down went to…. wait, it was university.

There is room in this big, wide world for both apprenticeships and university.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by patery
Just not true is it lmao

Really not.

Computer science has the HIGHEST unemployment rate of any degree subject. And has done for so long that there were government reviews and research into it a decade ago…

English on the other hand has better than average unemployment rates.

https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-analysis/sb263/figure-10
611331F8-8E9D-423C-A9CD-9E103F437EA2.jpeg
918162CD-AEC2-4CC8-9FB5-006498971F2D.jpeg
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by PQ
Really not.

Computer science has the HIGHEST unemployment rate of any degree subject. And has done for so long that there were government reviews and research into it a decade ago…

English on the other hand has better than average unemployment rates.

https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-analysis/sb263/figure-10
611331F8-8E9D-423C-A9CD-9E103F437EA2.jpeg
918162CD-AEC2-4CC8-9FB5-006498971F2D.jpeg

So op, you have two expert opinions now ( with statistics to back it up) from two university admissions experts.

But anyway, let’s ignore this, eh, as in your simplistic world you know best.
Original post by Anony345533
Like I know someone with an English lit degree with creative writing

I think that some 6th forms push uni a lot. They dont seem to inform the students of any other options (e.g. apprenticeships, jobs with training, college courses etc). My old 6th form was like that. So i think some go for the sake of it.
Original post by Emma:-)
I think that some 6th forms push uni a lot. They dont seem to inform the students of any other options (e.g. apprenticeships, jobs with training, college courses etc). My old 6th form was like that. So i think some go for the sake of it.

Yeah I agree with this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending