The Student Room Group

U18 at point of entry.

Other than for Maths, are there really any people at all who are 17 when they start? I'm curious as a good friend of mine was told by their teacher of people who had been given a deferred offer when they applied (Engineering, which I know has a vocational slant so yinis are encouraged etc.) for direct, purely due to age. (ie. 18+ or gap year or no offer) I know the vast majority of people would be 18 when starting but some musn't be. What happened in your case if you were to be 17 upon entry?
Reply 1
There's a few people.
Reply 2
MichaelScofield
What happened in your case if you were to be 17 upon entry?

(Cambridge-specific)
My brother wasn't 18 until the February after starting Economics and I won't be 18 until a month after starting Architecture (If I get in)... there should be no issue because age legislation requires them to let you in. You may have issues with accomodation depending on college but it's unlikely. Phone or email the college you are applying to if you want to be sure.
Reply 3
It is not unheard of for colleges to give out deferred offers, especially for stuff like Medicine, if you are not 18 within the first term. Individual policies seem to vary a lot though, so it would be worth getting in touch with specific colleges and asking about specific subjects.

It is very rare for anyone here to be less than 17.
Reply 4
I was 17 when I was a fresher at Churchill; I'll graduate when I'm 20. I just applied, weren't really any questions asked. Couldn't buy alcohol at the bar until the end of second term though :frown:
Reply 5
what do you think of st edumeds college,:shifty:
Reply 6
OP: What do you mean 'what happened'. What exactly do you want to know? How old the youngest people here are? What they're allowed to do or not do? :s-smilie:

A Bionatsci in my year was 16 when she started, and a medic started at 17 (but turned 18 in November)

isaac21
what do you think of st edumeds college,:shifty:

:eyeball: What about it? I presume you realise that it doesn't admit any students under 21.

Latest

Trending

Trending