The Student Room Group

Where does my daughter have a shot?

Hello all,

First post here as Mum to a 17 year old aspiring medic. Hope you are all surviving! Any advice gratefully received on where my daughter could apply. I have trawled through quite a few posts and looked up all the 2024 selection criteria on the uni websites but just want to check in here. (Some UCAT data soon will also be helpful hopefully 🤪).

GCSEs:
Eng Lang 7
Eng Lit 8
Maths 8
Bio 9
Chem 7
Physics 7
Music 8
History 8
French 8
Art 7

Predicted A Levels: Biology A*, Psychology A*, Chemistry A

UCAT: 2900/SJT Band1
VR 780
DM 710
QR 660
AR 750

WEx: sales assistant in music shop for last 2 years; 1 week shadowing in Rheumatology and Ambulatory Emergency Care (she was allowed to examine and delivery treatment plans/potential diagnosis news with some patients!); NHS Cadets; meal prep volunteer for disadvantaged families

Contextual flags: FSM; UCAT bursary; low income family; autistic; full boarding bursary (state school) since Year 9 at state school due extenuating circumstances

She really likes Bristol and Leeds but I can see she is just below last year’s cut-off for Bristol and v tight for Leeds (and not sure with the GCSE weighting). Is there any point at all in her applying to either of these or would that be beyond aspirational?

She also likes Notts and QMUL. But basically ANYWHERE would be great lol. We have ruled out KCL; Scottish unis; Cardiff based on historical stats and their selection criteria - looks impossible. KMMS criteria also unusual. 😷
Sheffield, Newcastle and Southampton (she is contextual offer eligible at all of these) all look tight at 2850 cut-off last year- do we rule them out?
Manchester, Birmingham, UEA and HYMS look possible?
Where does she have a shot and where should we rule out? Anyone chance UCAT cut-offs might go down? 🤪🙏😂

Thank you and good luck to all those who haven’t yet taken their UCAT! 🙏🧘🏻*♀️🤞💞
(edited 7 months ago)
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Original post by Alicat999
Hello all,

First post here as Mum to a 17 year old aspiring medic. Hope you are all surviving! Any advice gratefully received on where my daughter could apply. I have trawled through quite a few posts and looked up all the 2024 selection criteria on the uni websites but just want to check in here. (Some UCAT data soon will also be helpful hopefully 🤪).

GCSEs:
Eng Lang 6
Eng Lit 8
Maths 8
Bio 9
Chem 7
Physics 7
Music 8
History 8
French 8
Art 7

VR 780
DM 710
QR 660
AR 750

WEx: sales assistant in music shop for last 2 years; 1 week shadowing in Rheumatology and Ambulatory Emergency Care (she was allowed to examine and delivery treatment plans/potential diagnosis news with some patients!); NHS Cadets; meal prep volunteer for disadvantaged families

Contextual flags: FSM; UCAT bursary; low income family; autistic; full boarding bursary (state school) since Year 9 at state school due extenuating circumstances

She really likes Bristol and Leeds but I can see she is just below last year’s cut-off for Bristol and v tight for Leeds (and not sure with the GCSE weighting). Is there any point at all in her applying to either of these or would that be beyond aspirational?

She also likes Notts and QMUL. But basically ANYWHERE would be great lol. We have ruled out KCL; Scottish unis; Cardiff based on historical stats and their selection criteria - looks impossible. KMMS criteria also unusual. 😷
Sheffield, Newcastle and Southampton (she is contextual offer eligible at all of these) all look tight at 2850 cut-off last year- do we rule them out?
Where does she have a shot and where should we rule out? Anyone chance UCAT cut-offs might go down? 🤪🙏😂

Hi from what I know Newcastle rank contextual candidates different to other students and last year ucat was 2750 so she can apply, also I think Southampton do the same but not sure.

I hope others can help with this question , you can post in MEGATHREAD* - The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread [part 5 of 5 thread as it has more people to help.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 3
Thank you so much - will look into it! 👍🏼🙏

Original post by Ibmoahsa
Hi from what I know Newcastle rank contextual candidates different to other students and last year ucat was 2750 so she can apply, also I think Southampton do the same but not sure.

I hope others can help with this question , you can post in MEGATHREAD* - The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread [part 5 of 5 thread as it has more people to help.
Reply 4
Hello all,

GCSEs:
Eng Lang 7
Eng Lit 8
Maths 8
Bio 9
Chem 7
Physics 7
Music 8
History 8
French 8
Art 7

VR 780
DM 710
QR 660
AR 750

Nottingham is a really good choice precisely because she has achieved a Band 1 in SJT. The application is scored out of 150 points. GCSE is given 30 points, SJT is given 60 points, VR is given 24 points and QR+DM+AR is given collectively 36 points (a maximum of 12 points for each section).

Based on the data you have given she would receive in total 135/150. Anything above 125 and you have a pretty solid chance of being invited to an interview. so I'd say Notts is a very good option for her.

More info on their selection criteria here: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/medicine/study-with-us/undergraduate/undergraduate-medicine/undergraduate-selection-process.aspx

Your message is just being checked by a member of our moderation team.

Once it's approved, your reply will be visible to everyone on this discussion.
Reply 5
Thank you for replying. Can I ask how you make her score 135? I make it 131 which I think was the lowest (or 130?) for 2023 entry:
GCSEs - 23/30 (her 9 highest GCSEs scored)
UCAT - I make it 108 as VR 20 (10 x 2), DM 10, AR 10, QR 8 and SJT 60 for B1
Am I doing something wrong? 135 would be nice lol. Also where have you seen a 125 cut-off?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 6
Hello all,

GCSEs:
Eng Lang 7
Eng Lit 8
Maths 8
Bio 9
Chem 7
Physics 7
Music 8
History 8
French 8
Art 7

VR 780
DM 710
QR 660
AR 750

Post here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7312527 and you should get some good responses. Worth also looking back for similar posts.

I don't have great contextual knowledge but she is in great position - well done!

However out of those mentioned I would say:
- Qmul v safe to interview
- Notts. Think drop 12 ucat points and 9 gcse so 131/152 vs 129 cut off last year. Likely ok but with risk
- Sheffield good. Well above previous cut offs. Not sure on any contextual allowance but not needed. Sjt used in interview scoring
- Scottish unis. Look at contextual scoring and potential 10% ucat boosts. May be feasible
- Agree on avoiding Cardiff and kmms
- Newcastle partners good. Previous cut offs good margin below 2800
- Not sure on soton contextual but safe anyway
- Manchester and uea good
- Hyms good. Sjt and contextual points used post interview, but do check score.
- Birmingham. You need to get into their scoring if of interest

Exeter contextual scoring would also be good
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 7
Thank you for replying. How do make her score 135? I make it 131 which I think was the lowest (or 130?) for 2023 entry:
GCSEs - 23/30 (her 9 highest GCSEs scored)
UCAT - I make it 108 as VR 20 (10 x 2), DM 10, AR 10, QR 8 and SJT 60 for B1
Am I doing something wrong? 135 would be nice lol. Also where have you seen a 125 cut-off?

Agree 131 -see above. Was typing when you posted!
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Justapapa

Thank you so much for replying again!
I think she will def choose QMUL as a safe option (if such a thing exists with Medicine lol), probably Notts, and other two still to be decided. Do you think she should avoid Bristol and Leeds? She is contextual for Bristol and eligible for Access To Leeds but not sure about scoring - looks very tight imo but she is considering taking a risk on one or both?? 🙀
Reply 9
Original post by Justapapa

Sorry about that. Yes, it is 131. still a very solid score for an interview invite. I believe the average UCAT score invited to interview last year was somewhere around 2800.
Thank you so much for replying again!
I think she will def choose QMUL as a safe option (if such a thing exists with Medicine lol), probably Notts, and other two still to be decided. Do you think she should avoid Bristol and Leeds? She is contextual for Bristol and eligible for Access To Leeds but not sure about scoring - looks very tight imo but she is considering taking a risk on one or both?? 🙀

Sorry but I don't have contextual knowledge for bristol or Leeds to judge risk. Notts seems a bit of a risk if no widening participation, so I would go safe for last two. If not contextual, I would say bristol is risky on ucat score and Leeds on gcses, so would make sure definitely ok after allowing for any contextual/WP allowances. Or if not sure I would say look at some of the others that are more definitely safe.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 11
Original post by YA117
Sorry about that. Yes, it is 131. still a very solid score for an interview invite. I believe the average UCAT score invited to interview last year was somewhere around 2800.

Thanks. Yeah it’s that GCSE scoring that I am wondering about ie would her UCAT score/VR/SJT compensate enough for the points she loses for not having all 9s? 🤔
Reply 12
Thanks. Yeah it’s that GCSE scoring that I am wondering about ie would her UCAT score/VR/SJT compensate enough for the points she loses for not having all 9s? 🤔

Precisely. Interviews are given based on where you rank in terms of the overall points scored holistically. Her score of 131 is strong based on previous years' threshold.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending