The Student Room Group

Which University is the best for a Building Surveying Degree?

Hi Everybody. I am planning to study Building Surveying at university next September (2023). My Top 3 Choices are Reading, Oxford Brookes and Coventry.

I was hoping for you all to share your thoughts on these 3 universities for Building Surveying.

I would also like for you to suggest any good universities for my course which I may have missed out for example UWE Bristol, LSBU, Brighton, etc.

Thank you in advance everyone. Your help is very much appreciated.
Offspring really enjoying the BS at OBU. However would recommend open days at all unis to find where you’d like to spend 3/4 years.
Reply 2
Original post by NotOnYourNelly
Offspring really enjoying the BS at OBU. However would recommend open days at all unis to find where you’d like to spend 3/4 years.

Thank you for your response. I did manage to visit a couple unis and found Reading was my favourite. My only concern was that they don't include placement years as part of the course. They do allow you to do one but I believe that the support given to find a placement would be limited.

Did you have an interview as part of the application process when applying to do building surveying and if so which unis?
OBU Built Environment have compulsary year out, another reason why this uni was chosen. Not so much an interview per se, but an invitation to join them for a day with the department, which again was a nice touch/experience to get a feel for the uni and the dept, as well as other potential course mates. During freshers week, which can be hard your first week, in as you usually know no-one, the department arranged talks in uni and meet ups, went around town in small groups to look at the architecture then everyone met up at a pub by the river and the dept put on snacks. Helped meeting up with people you'll be spending the next 3/4 years with. The course is good and the lecturers are very approachable. On our open day we did a campus tour and the tour leader said that the Built Enviroment crowd seemed to get on really well, and she wasn't in it, so that was nice to hear.

The SU is really good, lots and lots of societies. Just search IG with OBU or Brookes and you'll see them. The ski society is one of the largest in the country.

Accommodation good, Parade Green a bus ride away, Cheney is party central, Clive Booth is part being revamped at the moment, heard its ok, surrounded by woods so can feel dark. Up the London road there is Unite with Dorset House and Beech Grove less than 10 min walk.
Original post by brzndon
Thank you for your response. I did manage to visit a couple unis and found Reading was my favourite. My only concern was that they don't include placement years as part of the course. They do allow you to do one but I believe that the support given to find a placement would be limited.

Did you have an interview as part of the application process when applying to do building surveying and if so which unis?
Reply 4
Original post by NotOnYourNelly
OBU Built Environment have compulsary year out, another reason why this uni was chosen. Not so much an interview per se, but an invitation to join them for a day with the department, which again was a nice touch/experience to get a feel for the uni and the dept, as well as other potential course mates. During freshers week, which can be hard your first week, in as you usually know no-one, the department arranged talks in uni and meet ups, went around town in small groups to look at the architecture then everyone met up at a pub by the river and the dept put on snacks. Helped meeting up with people you'll be spending the next 3/4 years with. The course is good and the lecturers are very approachable. On our open day we did a campus tour and the tour leader said that the Built Enviroment crowd seemed to get on really well, and she wasn't in it, so that was nice to hear.

The SU is really good, lots and lots of societies. Just search IG with OBU or Brookes and you'll see them. The ski society is one of the largest in the country.

Accommodation good, Parade Green a bus ride away, Cheney is party central, Clive Booth is part being revamped at the moment, heard its ok, surrounded by woods so can feel dark. Up the London road there is Unite with Dorset House and Beech Grove less than 10 min walk.

Thank you for all your help. I have now received all 5 offers so am planning to attend a few applicant days to gain a better understanding of which uni I am best suited to.
Hi. I have acceptReading as First choice for Building surveying and plan to do a full year out in year 3. Loved the campus. Off to the applicant day next werk.
Reply 6
Hi, I went to Reading's Applicant Day on the 4th March. I found the day extremely worthwhile as I got a greater insight of studying Building Surveying at Reading like by speaking to current students and lecturers. Furthermore I has a look at the accommodations and was able to ask students questions about them. After attending the day I would say it is extremely likely I will pick Reading as my first choice as I also loved the campus and the tutors created a good impression.

Original post by olivetti042004
Hi. I have acceptReading as First choice for Building surveying and plan to do a full year out in year 3. Loved the campus. Off to the applicant day next werk.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending