The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Sheffield Hallam University Accomodation

I was just wondering what is the best Sheffield Hallam accommodation. I’m currently a first year and living in the pinnacles and it’s not too bad but I’m kinda looking for a different place but has the same sort of price for the second year. I did originally want to book the pinnacles with a few friends but they’ve all decided that they’re gonna flat share with their different mates which is completely fine.
Original post by Anonymous
I was just wondering what is the best Sheffield Hallam accommodation. I’m currently a first year and living in the pinnacles and it’s not too bad but I’m kinda looking for a different place but has the same sort of price for the second year. I did originally want to book the pinnacles with a few friends but they’ve all decided that they’re gonna flat share with their different mates which is completely fine.

Hiya!

I've stayed at two Hallam accommodations during my time at university so can give you some pros and cons of those.

In my first year I stayed at Beton House which is relatively close to the Pinnacles. Overall it was a really nice accommodation and very close to the train station and city centre. It was ran very well and management were all lovely. Maintenance requests were answered quickly and they were good at collecting parcels and mail and let me know when something had arrived for me. The cons I would say are the location. It's sat right on top of a hill which is a nightmare to get up and down when you want to leave. You have to walk up some steps to get where you want to go and I remember during the winter no one would come to grit the steps so it was so dangerous getting anywhere. I skipped two days of uni during that season because I couldn't get anywhere. I've also heard the area is really rough. I've never had any problems with it but I've heard of people who did. They also only let you have 5 devices on the wifi at one time. That may seem like more than enough but for me who did a creative degree, I needed my phone, laptop, iPad, xbox and TV on the wifi so if any friends came over to work on group projects, I couldn't get them on it. Overall I'd rate the accommodation an 8/10 but the location ruined it for me.

In second year I stayed at the Gate. The accommodation itself was lovely. The building is great and the staff are all friendly. They were always giving things away at reception and the common room spaces are amazing. The rooms themselves are quite small, I paid for the larger sized room and that worked really well for me although there's not a lot of them in the building compared to the smaller rooms. The wifi was really quick and you could get as many devices on it as you wanted. The only thing that made it a negative experience for me was management. There were a few instances where it was clear that management didn't really know what they were doing. I remember at one point they had us do a survey and if we rated them 5 stars we'd be entered into a giveaway for an iPad but only if we rated them 5 stars and proved it which I thought was a bit sketchy. A lot of times maintenance requests would go ignored and if they weren't ignored, someone would come up and say there was nothing wrong and do nothing about it. The maintenance man himself was lovely, as were the cleaning staff. There would be instances of other residents pulling other people's clothes out the washing machines onto the floor which I reported because the floor was dirty and never vacuumed. The management claimed they'd put a notice out but never did. One of my flatmates had leaking coming in from her walls where it had been raining, management's solution to this was to stuff her own toilet paper into the vents and never come back to fix it even though they said they were going to. My flatmate took the TP out of the vents at the end of the year and naturally it was mouldy. The building and the people were great but the overall running of it were not.

I've visited other accommodations so if you have any in particular you like the look of let me know and I can answer questions as best as I can.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending