The Student Room Group

A level choices - how to pick with 2 different career paths

Hi all,
Currently in year 11 and thinking about a-level choices next year.
However, there are two very different paths I'd be interested in and not sure how to pick - is it better to pick one paths and a-levels surrounding that or a mixture of both? I Definitely want to do maths a-level, and likely further maths as well. The two routes I'd be interested in are Maths/Physics/Englinnering/economics (thinking maths, FM, Physics and economics a levels), or Law (would need essay writing subjects i.e history, law etc.

Any help appreciated, especially from anyone who was in a similar situation.

(for reference, I'm currently getting 9's in all of my subjects aside from English lang (8/9) and English lit (7/8)).
Reply 1
I would say, look at the university or apprenticeship requirements. Looking at your preferred routes, it seems that they would require maths a level as mandatory. The rest you can choose, whether you want it centres around one path or not. There are preferred a levels ,however, such as Physics a levels. Do make sure to look into that too. Just one a level such as FM can take you into many different careers, a levels don't really restrict you to a career. I would advice you to speak to a careers advisor at your secondary school, as this can help you to research and see the options that are available to you. Hope that helps!
Hey!

I think as a starting point you should definitely consider what you enjoy doing most. With maths/physics/engineering/economics, (needless to say) these are very heavily maths based. With pursuing a subject like law, whilst (I think) there are usually no subjects specifically required, you should really at least one essay subject. From your gcses (amazing grades by the way), I can see that you are slightly weaker with your English lit. Is this due to a lack of enjoyment of the subject? As an essay writing subject, if this is not something you enjoy at GCSE then I doubt you will enjoy heavy essay-based subjects at A-level. That being said, something like economics (which is classed as an essay subject) could still be very enjoyable. I was in the same situation with GCSE English lit, didn't really love it, but I love economics A-level now.

If you are truly stuck between two routes, I would recommend taking a mix of subjects. Taking a combination including maths, FM and economics ticks most boxes. Adding another essay subject as a fourth would make you a stronger law applicant and adding something like physics would definitely strengthen any application you make for engineering or physics. Also, you have to consider specific subject requirements for different courses at different unis. For example, some unis will require a science subject for engineering. It varies between unis, some will just accept FM and others would want another science (eg physics). For law, requirements seem to be less demanding. I recommend that you start looking at courses at some unis you might be interested in, as every place says something slightly different.

Overall, I would recommend you take subjects that you think you will enjoy and be good at. There is no point trying to pick A-levels solely with a career in mind, you don't want to be stuck doing something you don't enjoy. Hope this helps!
Original post by Ponies
Hi all,
However, there are two very different paths I'd be interested in and not sure how to pick - is it better to pick one paths and a-levels surrounding that or a mixture of both? I Definitely want to do maths a-level, and likely further maths as well. The two routes I'd be interested in are Maths/Physics/Englinnering/economics (thinking maths, FM, Physics and economics a levels), or Law (would need essay writing subjects i.e history, law etc.

(for reference, I'm currently getting 9's in all of my subjects aside from English lang (8/9) and English lit (7/8)).
Original post by Ponies
Hi all,

Any help appreciated, especially from anyone who was in a similar situation(for reference, I'm currently getting 9's in all of my subjects aside from English lang (8/9) and English lit (7/8)).

Why are you taking 4 and why Economics. All universities only require 3 and Economics is never a required subject. If you want to cover your choices take an essay subject instead of Economics although most dont require an essay subject and have no required subjects for Law. Whilst FM is useful for a small amount of universities for Maths it is a requirement for very few universities for anything else.
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
Why are you taking 4 and why Economics. All universities only require 3 and Economics is never a required subject. If you want to cover your choices take an essay subject instead of Economics although most dont require an essay subject and have no required subjects for Law. Whilst FM is useful for a small amount of universities for Maths it is a requirement for very few universities for anything else.

At my college if you want to further maths, you have to do 4. I was thinking economics as it is classed as an essay subject?
Original post by Ponies
Hi all,

Heya!
For law there are no specific subjects, so taking maths and FM would be fine :h: If you want to do engineering you should take physics too. For economics degrees you just need maths+FM. So a combination of Maths, Physics and FM should be fine even for law. If you want an essay subject you can do 3 a-levels + FM (usual choice), 2 of them being maths and physic. For essay subjects you can pick any you like, I did economics and really enjoyed it, its a very heavy essay-based subject. English lit or History would be good choices too, up to you!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 7
Original post by Ponies
Hi all,

omg no way!! i was literally in the same position as u!!

might be a bit late now, but heres some advice :smile:

i was considering engineering/physics and law and ended up choosing a mix of both - maths, further maths, physics and english lit.

later i decided that engineering was the right path for me and switched from english lit to music about a term in.

my school was a bit reluctant to do so as the switch was quite late, but since i was involved in a few music clubs and was grade 8 in several instruments they allowed me to luckily.

however, i would say originally taking these a levels was such an eye opener for me. previously i had liked physics but studying it at a level literally made it my favourite subject !! i really enjoyed english lit at gcse but found a level quite boring (this doesn't mean u will!!).

u might not even want to switch subjects ! i found english lit be a nice break from the stem subjects as it was so different to my others.

another thing that helped me decide was rather than just thinking about what the end goal was (eg being a lawyer/engineer) i thought whether i actually wanted to study the subject as ur gonna be studying it in depth for minimum 3 years. i liked the idea of being a lawyer but when i thought about studying law i decided it wasnt right for me - i prefered more of a hand-on subject rather than essay based.

also keep in mind that for economics you dont necessarily need to take it for a level to study it at degree level (i think this was mentioned?) - maths is just as good. however, of course taking it for a level will provide insight about what its like studying the subject at the higher level.

it is classed as an essay subject so it would be subject for law, but keep in mind if u do decide to apply for law at top unis they would probably prefer english lit or history?

and for engineering at top unis (eg oxford) further maths is of course looked upon highly by them and it gives u a bit of an edge against other applicants (potentially). however, keep in mind that it is better to get A*A*A than AAAA, as in that case you wouldn't even be accepted into oxford!! so consider whether taking further maths would be the right choice - getting a 9 in gcse doesn't guarantee this. lots of people in my school dropped further maths and ik many people are planning on doing so at the end of year 12.

however i love maths and going at a much faster pace doesn't bother me and i plan on continuing with fm. it rly just depends on u:smile:

hope this helps!! and good luck !!

Quick Reply

Latest