The Student Room Group

CompSci/Maths courses for Year 11s?

I am currently a year 11 girl aiming for oxbridge in maths and/or computer science. I would really like to do some reputable courses to help my skills and put towards my application.
I am at a grammar school and do not meet any of the criteria to be at a disadvantage, but all programmes and courses that are not free and aimed at disadvantaged students seem to be astronomically expensive. I just cannot afford anything over around £500 (and that would be for the perfect course).
Even a course which is expensive but you can apply for bursary for would be great.
Does anyone have any recommendations?
(p.s. i have no idea how to change the forum to something more relevant so hopefully this will do)
Reply 1
I can recommend a few online courses on the computing side of things, if that's what you're looking for:

- Nand2Tetris: building a computer from first principles
- Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (this is a book, but there are several online lectures to accompany it)
- Google's machine learning crash course
- Crypto[graphy] 101

If you're looking at college courses, I can't help you much there unfortunately, but the ones I listed may be helpful to have anyway as supercurriculars. They (alongside A-levels) got me an interview at the very least :smile:
Original post by lucyy06
I am currently a year 11 girl aiming for oxbridge in maths and/or computer science. I would really like to do some reputable courses to help my skills and put towards my application.
I am at a grammar school and do not meet any of the criteria to be at a disadvantage, but all programmes and courses that are not free and aimed at disadvantaged students seem to be astronomically expensive. I just cannot afford anything over around £500 (and that would be for the perfect course).
Even a course which is expensive but you can apply for bursary for would be great.
Does anyone have any recommendations?
(p.s. i have no idea how to change the forum to something more relevant so hopefully this will do)

Doing free competitions/challenges like ukmt, bio, project euler, advent of code, ritangle, cipher .... are the usual way to practice on harder problems/problem solving rather than trying to cram learning new stuff.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Thank you very much!! This is very helpful and i will be sure to check them out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending