The Student Room Group

Should attending university lectures and classes be mandatory?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by artful_lounger
To be fair with school since under 18s are legally required to be in full time training or education, the schools might actually be legally responsible for the student on some level. At uni though students are (usually) legally adults. But as I said, for some courses you kind of need it so you can be sure your doctor/nurse/radiographer/etc has actually like, done the stuff to qualify them, and also there should be some level of the uni being aware of the students circumstances in order to support them so they don't literally just take the money from the students and then ignore them.

Nah even if they knew that you were 18 teachers were still doing the stuff that I've listed above (making sure that you'd be in school from 8:30-15:00, making sure that you used your frees for studying, folder checks, study logs etc). I just don't see the point in unis or school trying to emphasise that you need to be more independent and that you have more freedom if they're going to do stuff like this 🤷🏾*♀️ but I agree with you.
(edited 1 year ago)
I have always like to view uni attendance as "personally mandatory" to attend lectures and seminars unless its something I cant avoid. I signed up for the degree and its on my timetable so its of my interest to attend, if I don't then that should be on my back, but I don't think it should be enforced attendance depending on the degree e.g. healthcare related etc like others have said. But you are an adult so you need to develop them skills for timekeeping and punctuality sure.

I also think there is wider benefits of attending, not just academic but the social element as well as wider skills, if you get into a habit of just attending where and when, relying on recorded lectures then its going to be more a shock when you enter the workplace and have to say be at a meeting at X time or be somewhere else as a specific time. I think recorded lectures should be used as a backup for the odd times you cannot make it or are late and missed content, and for revision purposes. I think if people want to rely purely on recorded lectures and not attend timetabled sessions then a distance learning degree may be more suited for them.

I think attendance should definitely be tracked though like others have said, for wellbeing reasons, on my undergraduate and Masters, we was a very close-knit course, and the very few times I was absent, I would get an email or text from my personal tutor usually the same day asking if I am okay, however I do have bit of a unique experience where I did apply to do a second masters in a totally different subject last January, so different faculty who have never met me, but due to issues with Admissions taking too long, I missed the first 3 weeks and I was advised by my personal tutor that I should withdraw and reapply due to missed content so I did.

Its only just before Christmas, so nearly a year on I get a very generic email saying I haven't logged in or attended and to let them know what's going on basically (turns out it was verbally agreed but the communication to withdraw me formally didn't happen) that kind of shocked me that it wasn't picked up earlier I haven't attended and let 2 semesters worth of modules go unsubmitted and failed as anything could have happened to me on a personal level, so I think it should be picked up a lot earlier when people just "go AWOL" from uni.
Original post by lildannys95
I have always like to view uni attendance as "personally mandatory" to attend lectures and seminars unless its something I cant avoid. I signed up for the degree and its on my timetable so its of my interest to attend, if I don't then that should be on my back, but I don't think it should be enforced attendance depending on the degree e.g. healthcare related etc like others have said. But you are an adult so you need to develop them skills for timekeeping and punctuality sure.

I also think there is wider benefits of attending, not just academic but the social element as well as wider skills, if you get into a habit of just attending where and when, relying on recorded lectures then its going to be more a shock when you enter the workplace and have to say be at a meeting at X time or be somewhere else as a specific time. I think recorded lectures should be used as a backup for the odd times you cannot make it or are late and missed content, and for revision purposes. I think if people want to rely purely on recorded lectures and not attend timetabled sessions then a distance learning degree may be more suited for them.

I think attendance should definitely be tracked though like others have said, for wellbeing reasons, on my undergraduate and Masters, we was a very close-knit course, and the very few times I was absent, I would get an email or text from my personal tutor usually the same day asking if I am okay, however I do have bit of a unique experience where I did apply to do a second masters in a totally different subject last January, so different faculty who have never met me, but due to issues with Admissions taking too long, I missed the first 3 weeks and I was advised by my personal tutor that I should withdraw and reapply due to missed content so I did.

Its only just before Christmas, so nearly a year on I get a very generic email saying I haven't logged in or attended and to let them know what's going on basically (turns out it was verbally agreed but the communication to withdraw me formally didn't happen) that kind of shocked me that it wasn't picked up earlier I haven't attended and let 2 semesters worth of modules go unsubmitted and failed as anything could have happened to me on a personal level, so I think it should be picked up a lot earlier when people just "go AWOL" from uni.

Thank you for you opinion bit in bold might be the bit some people disagree with though.

Yeah I (me) personally would attend most lessons anyway even if they weren't mandatory and the stuff was recorded.
Original post by artful_lounger
I think the problem with enforcing attendance at uni in general is that it just turns it away from a place of indepdendent learning to just "school 2" which ultimately devalues the degree because the students don't actually learn the skills that made such degrees valuable in the first place (which is not just the content being taught, and not even purely the "transferable skills" in research, writing, planning and so on, but also the softer personal life skills).

Too many people already approach uni like that, even thought it isn't - it tends to not work out too well for them but often they can then course correct. If they're essentially coddled by being corralled into doing what they should (and need to) figure out what to do on their own, for themselves, then how will they function when eventually, at some point, those safeguards are removed?

yes You can but it is difficult to be accepted into college there are a lot of people that have been rejected by college
Original post by Spinendy888
yes You can but it is difficult to be accepted into college there are a lot of people that have been rejected by college

You can do what?

College≠University in the UK or France btw
(edited 1 year ago)
1 of my lecturers had 10% of the module based on 10 * 10 question quizzes done at the end of each lecture. The quizzes were mostly simple so an easy way to boost your overall results - plus by turning up (and paying attention to get a decent score in the quiz) you were more likely to do well in the exams/coursework anyway. And the one quiz we all did terribly on he knew he hadn’t explained that topic well so went over it another way the next lecture.

Nowadays it’d be even easier to do something similar using online quiz tools (we did it on paper and swapped with a neighbour to mark then handed them all in at the end of the lesson). Would even be possible to do remotely.
Original post by PQ
1 of my lecturers had 10% of the module based on 10 * 10 question quizzes done at the end of each lecture. The quizzes were mostly simple so an easy way to boost your overall results - plus by turning up (and paying attention to get a decent score in the quiz) you were more likely to do well in the exams/coursework anyway. And the one quiz we all did terribly on he knew he hadn’t explained that topic well so went over it another way the next lecture.

Nowadays it’d be even easier to do something similar using online quiz tools (we did it on paper and swapped with a neighbour to mark then handed them all in at the end of the lesson). Would even be possible to do remotely.

Do you think that attending uni classes should be mandatory then?
Original post by Talkative Toad
Do you think that attending uni classes should be mandatory then?

I think that it should be incentivised with a solid bonus on your results - at least in first year and maybe some of second year to help build good habits.
(Btw your sixth form sounds horrible! We had total freedom outside lessons - the common room and frees were mainly used for poker)
Original post by PQ
I think that it should be incentivised with a solid bonus on your results - at least in first year and maybe some of second year to help build good habits.
(Btw your sixth form sounds horrible! We had total freedom outside lessons - the common room and frees were mainly used for poker)

My sixth form was actually really good but just OTT on some things in my opinion.
You can do what?

College≠University in the UK or France btw

American college is hard you have to have perfect grades and smartest to be eligible for college
American college is hard you have to have perfect grades and smartest to be eligible for college

not really, just people think their local state school is beneath them
At masters level (just finished) I attended any lecture we had in person as it was small classes and you could ask questions. At undergraduate it was mandatory and due to commuting and long breaks between lectures I watched one days worth a week online I stead. With 300 in a lecture hall there was much chance for any questions (law)

Yeah, but here when we say college it means sixth form and not uni.

The question is: do you think that attending university lectures and classes be mandatory?
My first degree was a professional qualification with the degree and the governing body stated a minimum of 80% attendence which i thought was fine, it gave room for sickness, and very few people were off which worked.
My current degree is a healthcare degree with very little wriggle room, but it is very obvious that a small handful of people are either always late yet still sign in, or miss days and its really annoying.

But i think there should be a minimum attendance of say 80%
Original post by PonchoKid
My first degree was a professional qualification with the degree and the governing body stated a minimum of 80% attendence which i thought was fine, it gave room for sickness, and very few people were off which worked.
My current degree is a healthcare degree with very little wriggle room, but it is very obvious that a small handful of people are either always late yet still sign in, or miss days and its really annoying.

But i think there should be a minimum attendance of say 80%

80% for every course? and fair enough.
80% for every course? and fair enough.

I dont quite see the issue personally. I work in retail and if your sickness is over 3% they give you an attendance review... so 20% is very leiniant.
I dont mean you get instantly kicked out if you fall below 80%
On my masters at Oxford, 80% attenence is required to pass.
Original post by PonchoKid
I dont quite see the issue personally. I work in retail and if your sickness is over 3% they give you an attendance review... so 20% is very leiniant.
I dont mean you get instantly kicked out if you fall below 80%

Fair enough, do you think that pupils should be required to have 80%+ attendance to pass the module then?
Original post by Kazibar
On my masters at Oxford, 80% attenence is required to pass.

That's fair in my opinion (unless the lecturers are bad).
Quite difficult to enforce to be honest. If you have a lecture of 100 people it’s hard to sign people in, people csn do it electronically but what if you leave your pass or home or forget to swipe it?

There’s also the issue for people who live away from uni, for instance with the rail unions doing their best to make railways obsolete a bunch of students will find it hard to even get in.

Frankly of people want to pay x amount a year in fees and not even attend the lectures that’s their problem. They are old enough to make and be responsible for their own decisons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending