The Student Room Group

Should attending university lectures and classes be mandatory?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Andrew97
Quite difficult to enforce to be honest. If you have a lecture of 100 people it’s hard to sign people in, people csn do it electronically but what if you leave your pass or home or forget to swipe it?

There’s also the issue for people who live away from uni, for instance with the rail unions doing their best to make railways obsolete a bunch of students will find it hard to even get in.

Frankly of people want to pay x amount a year in fees and not even attend the lectures that’s their problem. They are old enough to make and be responsible for their own decisons.

Some unis make the effort to track attendance (e.g need 80% attendance to pass the module, emails sent to you if you go weeks in a row without attending classes and not giving any notice, might be threatened to get kicked off the course for lack of engagement etc) but you have a fair point.
(edited 1 year ago)
Are lectures the best use of contact time on campus? (Thinking of the classic didactic sort of lecture - or does your initial question cover all f2f stuff)

Why are some students not attending? (Aside from obvious wellbeing types of issues)

Is poor attendance reflected in these students grades?

Outside of professional courses, I'm on the fence about mandating attendance from adult learners on courses they have paid for. I think I'm against it, as I feel it's up to students to motivate themselves and allocate time to their studies as grown ups. Monitor attendance by all means and reach out to non-attenders, to both identify any wellbeing issues but to also point out that missing content being taught may have an influence on their grades.
Original post by moonkatt
Are lectures the best use of contact time on campus? (Thinking of the classic didactic sort of lecture - or does your initial question cover all f2f stuff)

Why are some students not attending? (Aside from obvious wellbeing types of issues)

Is poor attendance reflected in these students grades?

Outside of professional courses, I'm on the fence about mandating attendance from adult learners on courses they have paid for. I think I'm against it, as I feel it's up to students to motivate themselves and allocate time to their studies as grown ups. Monitor attendance by all means and reach out to non-attenders, to both identify any wellbeing issues but to also point out that missing content being taught may have an influence on their grades.

Campus lectures/both in general.
Original post by Talkative Toad
Campus lectures/both in general.

Ok, I don't think didactic lectures are the best use of campus time, but that's for another debate.

I suppose, knowing why students don't want to engage is the key here. I imagine there's a broad spectrum of reasons which could be interesting to look at (really cba to search the literature right now, but I'm sure there's loads). I just don't think cracking a whip and forcing attendance fits with the ethos of adult learning.
Ok, I don't think didactic lectures are the best use of campus time, but that's for another debate.

I suppose, knowing why students don't want to engage is the key here. I imagine there's a broad spectrum of reasons which could be interesting to look at (really cba to search the literature right now, but I'm sure there's loads). I just don't think cracking a whip and forcing attendance fits with the ethos of adult learning.

You raise a valid point. Some people might not attend lectures because of laziness or getting hungover but there could be other reasons like other users have mentioned.
Most people are voting "yes" but the replies here don't reflect this it seems.
You raise a valid point. Some people might not attend lectures because of laziness or getting hungover but there could be other reasons like other users have mentioned.

I imagine there's a spectrum of things, the hangover excuse may be for occasional one offs, laziness may only have an impact on 9am starts etc, but this may not explain constant non-attendance and a lack of engagement with f2f study. These may be more of the dislike of teaching styles, students preferring to study on their own at home, or issues pertaining to health and wellbeing and I think these need analysis and used as feedback to institutions.

You've got me interested in reading what data there is on this out there now, but I'm not going to go down that rabbit hole right now. I may have a bit of a search over the next few days and come back to this thread.
I imagine there's a spectrum of things, the hangover excuse may be for occasional one offs, laziness may only have an impact on 9am starts etc, but this may not explain constant non-attendance and a lack of engagement with f2f study. These may be more of the dislike of teaching styles, students preferring to study on their own at home, or issues pertaining to health and wellbeing and I think these need analysis and used as feedback to institutions.

You've got me interested in reading what data there is on this out there now, but I'm not going to go down that rabbit hole right now. I may have a bit of a search over the next few days and come back to this thread.

Yeah laziness and getting hungover aren't the only reasons for not attending lectures. Some people might be working on coursework instead, pulled off an all-nighter, have poor MH, felt sick, commuting issues etc.
I have voted 'no' because university students are adults who can make choices for themselves. If they wish not to attend a lecture they have paid for then that is their responsibility. Equally, if they are unable to attend, e.g. due to a medical issue, then that is something they should be able to manage for themselves, without needing to seek anybody's approval.
Original post by CatusStarbright
I have voted 'no' because university students are adults who can make choices for themselves. If they wish not to attend a lecture they have paid for then that is their responsibility. Equally, if they are unable to attend, e.g. due to a medical issue, then that is something they should be able to manage for themselves, without needing to seek anybody's approval.

Fair enough.
Yeah, but here when we say college it means sixth form and not uni.

The question is: do you think that attending university lectures and classes be mandatory?

Yes it is mandatory to study in college and get your dream job
Original post by Spinendy888
Yes it is mandatory to study in college and get your dream job

Fair enough then

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending