The Student Room Group

Which college offer I should choose?

I have offers from University of Manchester , University of Leeds , University of Lancaster which one should I choose I want to pursue financial technology as masters . Which among these is the most reputed college?
(edited 1 year ago)
university of manchester i think, haven’t heard much about lancaster. i think the most important thing is which one is ranked first in your area of study
Reply 2
Original post by spongebob73784
university of manchester i think, haven’t heard much about lancaster. i think the most important thing is which one is ranked first in your area of study

Yes, i am exploring online but just asking for some University insights that some students might know.

Thanks for the answer.
Original post by Aryan_9
I have offers from University of Manchester , University of Leeds , University of Lancaster which one should I choose I want to pursue financial technology as masters . Which among these is the most reputed college?

Visited Leeds with daughter on open day, and she studies physics at Lancaster. All of them are good unis. Lancaster city is a smaller city compared with the other two cities. Manchester being the biggest. Theres still plenty to do there with the castle, williamson park, morecambe, the lakes, and she catches the train to manchester as well. Lots of bars, 3 clubs. She likes pub quizzing and also goes to the herbarium cafe for board games night on occasion. She also does the badminton on a sunday at the Lancasters sport centre, and was part of the disney society in first year. there are lots of societies there. She is an undergrad, but she has a lot of postgrad friends, some who live in the same flat in private company halls in the city (penny street). You can live on campus as well. Lancaster has 9 colleges, but if its just masters for a year or so, you will probably be in graduate college. Each college has its own bar as well. Lots of eateries on campus, and a couple of mini market shops for essentials. Theres main supermarkets in the city. City is 15 mins away on a bus, and if living in the city, its worth having a 'stagecoach' bus pass, not so much if you live on campus as you might not travel as frequently. Library is enormous, one of the biggest ive seen on the open days. With it being finance you will likely to be in the swanky 'LUMS' Lancaster uni management school, which is really new. I know they do quantative finance there.
Lancaster uni itself is big as well with a lake and a woodland walk which goes around the uni for 2 miles. If you want a city thats not so big and overwhelming, but has all you need still, then Lancaster is the place for you.
Reply 4
Original post by Ghostlady
Visited Leeds with daughter on open day, and she studies physics at Lancaster. All of them are good unis. Lancaster city is a smaller city compared with the other two cities. Manchester being the biggest. Theres still plenty to do there with the castle, williamson park, morecambe, the lakes, and she catches the train to manchester as well. Lots of bars, 3 clubs. She likes pub quizzing and also goes to the herbarium cafe for board games night on occasion. She also does the badminton on a sunday at the Lancasters sport centre, and was part of the disney society in first year. there are lots of societies there. She is an undergrad, but she has a lot of postgrad friends, some who live in the same flat in private company halls in the city (penny street). You can live on campus as well. Lancaster has 9 colleges, but if its just masters for a year or so, you will probably be in graduate college. Each college has its own bar as well. Lots of eateries on campus, and a couple of mini market shops for essentials. Theres main supermarkets in the city. City is 15 mins away on a bus, and if living in the city, its worth having a 'stagecoach' bus pass, not so much if you live on campus as you might not travel as frequently. Library is enormous, one of the biggest ive seen on the open days. With it being finance you will likely to be in the swanky 'LUMS' Lancaster uni management school, which is really new. I know they do quantative finance there.
Lancaster uni itself is big as well with a lake and a woodland walk which goes around the uni for 2 miles. If you want a city thats not so big and overwhelming, but has all you need still, then Lancaster is the place for you.

Thank you so much , it was very helpful.
Original post by Aryan_9

Hi @Aryan_9 [br] [br] Lancaster is a small homely town but still manages to have quite a few large retailers in town. There are many nice cafes and pubs. Lancaster is a collegiate uni and as a postgraduate you would be part of graduate college.

Let me know if you have any questions about student life at Lancaster.

Hope that helps!

- Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Reply 6
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @Aryan_9 [br] [br] Lancaster is a small homely town but still manages to have quite a few large retailers in town. There are many nice cafes and pubs. Lancaster is a collegiate uni and as a postgraduate you would be part of graduate college.

Let me know if you have any questions about student life at Lancaster.

Hope that helps!

- Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador

Hey Tineke,
Thank you for the answer but I really want to know more about the student clubs and community at Lancaster. What percentage of students are international ? How far is Lancaster from the major cities ?
Original post by Aryan_9
Hey Tineke,
Thank you for the answer but I really want to know more about the student clubs and community at Lancaster. What percentage of students are international ? How far is Lancaster from the major cities ?

Hello! I am a 3rd-year Computer Science student at Lancaster Unversity. There is "Sugarhouse" which is a student-run club in town, and there are also a lot of different societies which build up great communities among students and staff. The college system also allows us to meet students studying different subjects and years.

For the percentages of international students, I would say it depends on the subject and the intake from that year. In my course, there are a number of international students. I am also an international student, and I met friends from Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Poland, other parts of Europe, and different parts of Asia.

Lancaster is about an hour away by train to Manchester, 2-3 hours by train to Edinburgh, around 2 hours to Birmingham, and 2-4 hours by train to London(depending on how many changes on your journey, it is quite fast if the train is direct).

I hope my reply can help you with choosing the university that suits you most. All the best to you!! :smile:

- Miyuki (Lancaster University FST Student Ambassador)
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending