The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

St John’s Durham Accommodation?

Hi -

So I’ve been allocated St John’s College and I’m really pleased about it (it was my first choice) but I’ve just been re-reading the accommodation page at the college website and it just struck me that it says they offer “accommodation during University vacations (room only, no catering)”. Does this mean that the college only offers 39 week contracts and doesn’t have 30 week contracts where we can choose to pay less but move out during Christmas and Easter? I really don’t wanna pay an extra £1000+ especially when I won’t be in the room anyway 😂😂😂

Does anyone have insight into this? I’ll email the college on Monday for a detailed answer but was kinda panicking so thought I’d ask TSR.
Reply 1
Original post by _shehryar_
Hi -

So I’ve been allocated St John’s College and I’m really pleased about it (it was my first choice) but I’ve just been re-reading the accommodation page at the college website and it just struck me that it says they offer “accommodation during University vacations (room only, no catering)”. Does this mean that the college only offers 39 week contracts and doesn’t have 30 week contracts where we can choose to pay less but move out during Christmas and Easter? I really don’t wanna pay an extra £1000+ especially when I won’t be in the room anyway 😂😂😂

Does anyone have insight into this? I’ll email the college on Monday for a detailed answer but was kinda panicking so thought I’d ask TSR.

My DD is at St John’s. Her contract is for 39 weeks - as far as I recall she didn’t have an option for a short contract (she wouldn’t have wanted to clear her room out anyway). If cost is an issue maybe consider opting to share a room?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by _shehryar_
Hi -

Hiya

The 39 weeks is non-negotiable as it is the standard letting period for most colleges. Some may have a shorter let available, but even that is not something you can actively choose- it's just allocated to you. In case of evidence to the contrary, I'd say you should stick to the belief that the tenancy will be for 39 weeks no matter which college you go to.

-Himieka
Reply 3
Original post by Durham Students
Hiya

The 39 weeks is non-negotiable as it is the standard letting period for most colleges. Some may have a shorter let available, but even that is not something you can actively choose- it's just allocated to you. In case of evidence to the contrary, I'd say you should stick to the belief that the tenancy will be for 39 weeks no matter which college you go to.

-Himieka

Oh, that's interesting...I thought most colleges offer 30-week contracts since the Durham Uni accommodation charges webpage showed 30-week contracts as well, and I thought the standard for home students was 30 weeks and you could choose 39 weeks if you wanted to (i.e. if u were intl etc).

Original post by Anonymous
My DD is at St John’s. Her contract is for 39 weeks - as far as I recall she didn’t have an option for a short contract (she wouldn’t have wanted to clear her room out anyway). If cost is an issue maybe consider opting to share a room?

Thanks for the response! No cost isn't thankfully *that* big of an issue, and I'm sure as you point out I'll appreciate not having to clear out the room three times a year, but was just wondering whether a 30 week contract is possible. Apparently not, but oh well!

Quick Reply

Latest