The Student Room Group
Original post by ArifHussain2004
A 10 μF capacitor stores 4.5 mJ of energy.
It then discharges through a 25 Ω resistor.
What is the maximum current during the discharge of the capacitor?
A 1.2 A
B 18 A
C 30 A
D 36 A

Start with an expression for stored energy, solve to give you a voltage. That is the max voltage at the start of the discharge, so sub that into ohm's law to get a corresponding max current.
can u show me how to do it please?
Original post by Mr Wednesday
Start with an expression for stored energy, solve to give you a voltage. That is the max voltage at the start of the discharge, so sub that into ohm's law to get a corresponding max current.

TSR is not a "do my homework" machine, I have suggested a possible method, if you want more help, give it a go and set out your workings.
A 10 μF capacitor stores 4.5 mJ of energy.
It then discharges through a 25 Ω resistor.
What is the maximum current during the discharge of the capacitor?
A 1.2 A
B 18 A
C 30 A
D 36 A

I would recommend that you go through the following materials:
https://www.ibphysicstutor.net/induction_hl#13
More details note in the google slide
https://www.iitianacademy.com/ib-physics-unit-11-electromagnetic-induction-capacitance/

You can check the answer using the following link:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/capdis.html
TSR is not a "do my homework" machine, I have suggested a possible method, if you want more help, give it a go and set out your workings.

Unnecessarily passive-aggressive response.
Original post by username6199731
Unnecessarily passive-aggressive response.

How much teaching experience do you have, the art is in giving students what they need to make progress, not what they want. Oh, and just handing out answers is against the TSR rules.
thank you so much for the solution , I got the answer but I wanted to double check why ohms law can be applied to capacitors because I thought there is no resistance in the capacitor ? or are we saying that the Vmax found for the capacitor is exactly the same value as for the resistor so we are actually applying ohms law to the resistor
Original post by 1234kelly
thank you so much for the solution , I got the answer but I wanted to double check why ohms law can be applied to capacitors because I thought there is no resistance in the capacitor ? or are we saying that the Vmax found for the capacitor is exactly the same value as for the resistor so we are actually applying ohms law to the resistor

Note that there is a resistor connected in series with the capacitor.

Latest