The Student Room Group

What is the most interesting thing you've learned while researching universities?

Researching universities to apply to can bring up a number of interesting anecdotes or key pieces of information which are vital to you and your studies. It can also just bring up really cool pieces of information about a institution that you may never had heard of before! But what's your favourite thing you have learnt when you've been researching universities?

My favourite thing I've learnt is that you can do a top up course in Contemporary Circus and Physical Theatre at Bath Spa university - as an aspiring aerial artist, I'd love to take this course!

Another one of my favourites is that the buildings at the University of Sussex were built to look like different objects - including the library being designed to look like an open book!

What's the most interesting thing you have learnt whilst researching universities, or what's your best fun fact about the university you're studying at?

Let us know your thoughts!
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Stormzy used to live in the town where everyone at my university lives :lol: pretty sure he got in a scrap.
Original post by parmezanne
Stormzy used to live in the town where everyone at my university lives :lol: pretty sure he got in a scrap.

That's a good one! Always good to have a famous face around the area :biggrin:
a few years ago my uni used a turtle to bite through a ribbon made of leaves to open up some labs, looking at the video its actually quite cute
Charles Darwin studied at the University of Edinburgh. :smile:
Albert Einstein once gave a lecture at Nottingham Trent University.
Original post by MonsoonFlower

Albert einsteins section of his blackboard is in the physics dept at Nottingham uni.
Lancaster uni has a tree in the library called Norma.
James May was in Pendle College Lancaster uni.
Lancaster uni has a varsity with York called 'Roses'
Original post by okayykayy
a few years ago my uni used a turtle to bite through a ribbon made of leaves to open up some labs, looking at the video its actually quite cute

Was that the one with Chris Packham, or have there been a spate of these turtle-based openings?
Original post by okayykayy

That sounds adorable
That university is a complete waste of time, effort and money for most young people and should be considered a scam.
one cool fact about my uni is ✨long boi✨. a special duck on campus, who even got a mention on BBC Radio 1 in December!

Spoiler

(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by simxne_
one cool fact about my uni is ✨long boi✨. a special duck on campus, who even got a mention on BBC Radio 1 in December!

Spoiler

that's so funny
I heard about this on radio 1 :lol:
My university is known to be extremely classist, there was one video on TikTok of someone making fun of working class students and those who attend state schools :frown:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by MonsoonFlower

He visitted uni of Nottingham at the formally named University College - Nottingham (Trent didn’t yet exist in a form resembling a university when he visited), as another user has pointed out the blackboard he used is still in the university (it’s even in the same building.. which still teaches physics today).
On a visit to Reading University, learned it was originally an extension college to Oxford for poorer students who's diplomas were all backed by Oxford until Reading wanted independence, as they were not allowed to attend Oxford after their diploma due to not residing close enough. So a biscuit factory owner invested in Reading Uni.

Met Long Boi also.
(edited 1 year ago)
About the Foundation Course in Circus arts, has anyone done it? What are their thoughts? Just because I am thinking of doing it! :smile:
Original post by simxne_

Spoiler

Uni of York, right? I've got an offer from York so i'll have to go for a look round (and to see if I can catch a glimpse of long boi, obviously).
Original post by janec24
Uni of York, right? I've got an offer from York so i'll have to go for a look round (and to see if I can catch a glimpse of long boi, obviously).

yeah! I just started last September : ) what have you applied for?
Original post by simxne_
yeah! I just started last September : ) what have you applied for?

I've applied for English :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending