The Student Room Group

Biochemistry Application

I’m planning on applying for a biochemistry course in university while currently doing BTECH applied science and A level maths. I just wanted to ask, those who are doing a biochemistry course what key things do you need on your personal statement to stand out with no work experience?
(edited 8 months ago)
For me I put texts that I had read around the subject but also what you've learnt from them
Also rather than just reading the "common" books maybe try reading some free articles online from journals as I found a journal I really enjoyed wrote about it and then what I did from that such as more research to show that you're being active around the subject and have an interest for learning rather than just reading it
I know you've said that you haven't done any work experience but have you been able to do any free online learning courses like on the open university as it shows you want to know more about the subject and in a more active way than just reading a text
Also as well as subject specific it is useful to have other things such as clubs etc and skills you've learnt form them and how those skills would help you at university
Reply 2
Well to be honest my school didn’t have any clubs regarding science but I have done some outside club stuff that have nothing to do with science. I am reading articles and blogs about the subject so that I am fully informed and that’s about all I have been doing to get ready. I was told to ask students who are already Doing the course as this can be seen as a good alternative to work experience.
Original post by Mc Doublee
Well to be honest my school didn’t have any clubs regarding science but I have done some outside club stuff that have nothing to do with science. I am reading articles and blogs about the subject so that I am fully informed and that’s about all I have been doing to get ready. I was told to ask students who are already Doing the course as this can be seen as a good alternative to work experience.

Are you meaning they suggested speaking to people on the course instead of doing work experience
I'm currently doing biochemistry and genetics at Sheffield
Also it doesn't have to be science clubs it could have been any club but it's about the skills you developed like organisation and team work it doesn't matter if they aren't scientific and you could also add in the outside of school clubs
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
Yes they suggested speaking to someone who does the course, so they can tell you what it’s like and the qualities that are appreciated on the course. Well I used to play basketball for the arrows and I did Dofe and NCS and I currently have a part time job. Should this all be things I include on my personal statement.
Original post by Mc Doublee
Yes they suggested speaking to someone who does the course, so they can tell you what it’s like and the qualities that are appreciated on the course. Well I used to play basketball for the arrows and I did Dofe and NCS and I currently have a part time job. Should this all be things I include on my personal statement.

I would include these things but more than what you've done it's about what you've learnt from them and how you've implimted the skills into general life rather than just a list of things you've done
Reply 6
Original post by Jess_Lomas
I would include these things but more than what you've done it's about what you've learnt from them and how you've implimted the skills into general life rather than just a list of things you've done

Ok thank you for your advice. One last thing how long did it roughly take you to write your personal statement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending