The Student Room Group

Which business degree would be best

Currently im looking at doing Marketing and advertising or marketing and management /business.

I love the concept of marketing and from what I can see online advertising is a part of marketing however there are no advertising modules in the marketing and business /management degrees.

Ideally I would like to learn about marketing ,advertising and management as I'm hoping to further my education by doing a fashion and textiles masters as I want to set a fashion business so it's extremely important that my undergraduate can teach me different aspects of business while allowing me to have opportunities to work for a company hopefully within the marketing , advertising, media or even journalism sector as they're the sectors I feel most connected to
Hi @Rose_99,

So I studied marketing at university and you'll find that most courses offered by different universities will cover the majority of areas you're interested in.

I did find that when I was looking for courses before I went to uni that there weren't any advertising modules as such as it tends to be integrated into modules rather than being one in itself (or at least this was the experience when I studied).

You could also look at just a marketing degree as that's what I studied and whilst I didn't outright learn the business/management side of things, it's something I became very aware of just through how all the business disciplines are connected.

I'd honestly recommend just going through the courses that are available and find one which you enjoy the sound of the most. You can also find some courses offer modules where your assignments will have a set structure but you can base it on your own area of interest. For example in my second year, we had a module where we had to conduct a brand analysis of a business and develop a new product/service but we could choose the business we wanted to do it on so I picked a menswear designer and focussed it on something I was interested on. If you could find one with modules like these then it also gives you an opportunity to tailor your learning towards your specific interests. You'll get to do this with your dissertation but you can also have additional opportunities throughout your course depending on how it's structured, but you'll need to research different universities for this.

I have no doubt though that the majority of courses available will help you achieve your long-term goals!

I hope this helps but feel free to let me know if you'd like any more insight, happy to help.

Tom - Marketing and Content Assistant - Teesside University
Reply 2
Original post by Teesside University
Hi @Rose_99,

So I studied marketing at university and you'll find that most courses offered by different universities will cover the majority of areas you're interested in.

I did find that when I was looking for courses before I went to uni that there weren't any advertising modules as such as it tends to be integrated into modules rather than being one in itself (or at least this was the experience when I studied).

You could also look at just a marketing degree as that's what I studied and whilst I didn't outright learn the business/management side of things, it's something I became very aware of just through how all the business disciplines are connected.

I'd honestly recommend just going through the courses that are available and find one which you enjoy the sound of the most. You can also find some courses offer modules where your assignments will have a set structure but you can base it on your own area of interest. For example in my second year, we had a module where we had to conduct a brand analysis of a business and develop a new product/service but we could choose the business we wanted to do it on so I picked a menswear designer and focussed it on something I was interested on. If you could find one with modules like these then it also gives you an opportunity to tailor your learning towards your specific interests. You'll get to do this with your dissertation but you can also have additional opportunities throughout your course depending on how it's structured, but you'll need to research different universities for this.

I have no doubt though that the majority of courses available will help you achieve your long-term goals!

I hope this helps but feel free to let me know if you'd like any more insight, happy to help.

Tom - Marketing and Content Assistant - Teesside University

Thank you I really appreciate your advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending