The Student Room Group

Procrastination

genuine question from a chronic procrastinator. i cannot express to you how hard it is for me to do my work/revision. i have my a levels in a few months (predicted A*AA), my mocks in a few weeks and i just don’t seem to be able to get it done properly. when i do get it done, it’s done rushing the night before, into the evening and i always end up feeling terrible and drained afterwards. the guilt is so frequent and no matter how much i set a to do list or a target for the work i’m going to do, i always end up

a) convincing myself i’m a genius and don’t need to revise

or

b) convincing myself the work won’t take that long, so i don’t need to start it now

i’m completely aware it probably stems from spending too much time on my phone and the reduction in my attention span, but i also suffer with anxiety so my phone is where i can access everything that is an escape for me so it’s a bit of a vicious cycle (i get anxious about work/exams, look at my phone to reduce anxiety, get even more anxious about not having done the work, the cycle continues). i’ve never quite found a good, healthy way of working since covid, and during that time my workload was a big cause for a decline in my mental health since i’ve always been a good student and i hold myself to standards i normally can’t meet because of the issue i’ve mentioned.

i’m worried it’ll come across as laziness but it’s not because i can’t be bothered, i would love nothing more to be able to sit for long periods and work constantly in a healthy way, i’ve tried so many times to organise myself and do this. it might end up being unrealistic but i’m going to uni this year and my biggest problem has always been coursework and the deadlines that seem so far in the future, so i’m desperate to sort myself out so i can work properly. if anyone has any tips or a routine that has worked for them i’d be really grateful for some advice :smile:
Reply 1
i did this during my gcses too and i ended up getting 5s and 6s but i will not procrastinate anymore (i hope i dont, im trying my best) but what I'm trying to do is just revise for about 20 mins and then rest for a bit and then repeat the cycle with my other subjects. its not easy and the school has given all of us a revision timetable but it's too much for me but i do recommend one if you like being organised. you should also try and keep your phone in another room or give it to your parents so you know it will be somewhere safe. try and start with topics you're not confident with too, although it isn't easy but revising what you know is pointless.
Get off TSR
Only thing what's worked for me is deleting all social media apps off my phone and keeping my phone away from me as much as I can. Get up straight away in the morning without your phone and go to sleep off your phone.

Recently I've been addicted to TSR just like any other social media I've noticed and I've been on it way more because of uni applications, but now that I've sent off my UCAS stuff I'm probably going to be off this site for a while or just check up on it every week - or once in the morning maybe.
Are you within walking distance to a public library, your student library or café? Maybe you can spend a few hours there every other day doing your revision instead of at home? Switch off your phone when you get in, do your work and when you're finished, do all the procrastinating you want for the rest of the day. You'll probably get 9-12 hrs a week of studying done this way, without any last minute stress. Sometimes it's just a change of environment needed to help to get your head down.

The last time I went to my local public library I was shocked at how much people were there studying! All the study spaces were taken.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Get off TSR

touché
Original post by Char3313L
Are you within walking distance to a public library, your student library or café? Maybe you can spend a few hours there every other day doing your revision instead of at home? Switch off your phone when you get in, do your work and when you're finished, do all the procrastinating you want for the rest of the day. You'll probably get 9-12 hrs a week of studying done this way, without any last minute stress. Sometimes it's just a change of environment needed to help to get your head down.

The last time I went to my local public library I was shocked at how much people were there studying! All the study spaces were taken.

Thank you that’s a great idea! I’ll definitely try this tomorrow

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending