The Student Room Group

Should nurses be paid more?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quady
So about a 40% pay rise for senior nurses?
Plus free housing/Council tax/bills.
So they'd be better off by about 55-60%

So that all fully qualified nurses would be significantly better off perks wise during their years working within the NHS.
But no change to basic salaries beyond the tax and national insurance exemptions.
Reply 41
Original post by londonmyst
So that all fully qualified nurses would be significantly better off perks wise during their years working within the NHS.
But no change to basic salaries beyond the tax and national insurance exemptions.

Yes, although the nurses would cost 55-60% more upfront at least their pensions wouldn't be an increased cost.
Original post by Rakas21
Define fair.

Even I support public sector pay rises however it is simply not 'fair' to ask the taxpayer to stomach double digit pay rises. They should be offered 7% (in line with current private sector wage rises).

Nurses are not to blame for our current inflationary shock but neither is the taxpayer.

We could of course tie nursing pay rises to cuts elsewhere in the NHS. If the NHS would agree to remove non-essential things like second abortions then that would free money in the budget.

Yes 7% pay rise is fair.
15% or something similar would be considered a bit over the top and greedy.
Original post by Quady
What would an unfairly high pay rise be?

So about a 40% pay rise for senior nurses?
Plus free housing/Council tax/bills.
So they'd be better off by about 55-60%

I'd say doubly digits would be a bit high. 7-8% would be about right.
Original post by Mess.
What do you constitute as a fair pay rise and does anyone else in the NHS deserve this or just nurses?

A 7-8% pay rise is fair.
There are others in the NHS who deserve a decent pay rise too.
Reply 45
Original post by Emma:-)
A 7-8% pay rise is fair.
There are others in the NHS who deserve a decent pay rise too.

So 9% wouldn't be fair in your eyes
Original post by Quady
So 9% wouldn't be fair in your eyes

Well 9% would be yeah. 7-8% was a round about figure.
It's the double figure pay rises that are a bit much.
The good ones should be paid more and the bad ones shouldn’t be. I think there needs to be some system in place in which patient satisfaction feeds into the pay reviews of individual nurses. A nurse who actually strives to provide the highest quality care shouldn’t get paid the same as someone who just does the bare minimum.
Reply 48
Well 9% would be yeah. 7-8% was a round about figure.
It's the double figure pay rises that are a bit much.

So you think a fair pay settlement is a real terms pay cut for nurses.
Original post by Quady
So you think a fair pay settlement is a real terms pay cut for nurses.

To be fair most workers (no matter what job they do or what sector they work in) have not been lucky enough to have a double digits pay rise. I certainly do not know of anyone. Not saying nurses don't deserve it, but we have to be realistic here.
To be fair most workers (no matter what job they do or what sector they work in) have not been lucky enough to have a double digits pay rise. I certainly do not know of anyone. Not saying nurses don't deserve it, but we have to be realistic here.

That's not true though is it?

According to the ONS, average pay has risen by 6.7%. So half have received more and half, less. I would hedge a decent guess that the half that haven't received more than 6.7% are the lowest half of earners e.g. those who are struggling the most.

Now sure, someone who went to university, studied hard, got into a high paying job and has become proficient at that job certainly deserves their pay, but we must not forget that nursing is now a professional job requiring a degree and ongoing training and accountability. It is certainly much more than wiping people' bottoms. Did you know for example that when all the consultants and senior doctors are on the golf course of an evening / weekend, the hospitals are pretty much run by nurses?

Given the fact it is a professional job, I think £27k to £32k is horrendous given the level of responsibility and accountability nurses have.
https://www.nhsemployers.org/articles/pay-scales-202223
Reply 51

Most workers didn't have numpies banging pots and and pans every week 'in support of them'.

Realistic and fair are two different concepts.
I do think they should be paid more but there should be a stipulation that before they get any extra pay they have to explain how come there was time for all those dancing video on TikTok and loads of videos of hospital corridors and rooms completely empty at a time they were claiming to be completely overwhelmed with covid.
Reply 53
Original post by Megacent
I do think they should be paid more but there should be a stipulation that before they get any extra pay they have to explain how come there was time for all those dancing video on TikTok and loads of videos of hospital corridors and rooms completely empty at a time they were claiming to be completely overwhelmed with covid.

So you don't agree.
Original post by Quady
So you don't agree.

I don't like nurses since the pandemic, but I do think they should be paid more. There's a lot of jobs that don't pay what they should be for the level of work being put in, and that is one of them in my opinion.
Reply 55
I don't like nurses since the pandemic, but I do think they should be paid more. There's a lot of jobs that don't pay what they should be for the level of work being put in, and that is one of them in my opinion.

OK so no conditionality on them being paid more.
Reply 56

They had time to dance because not all nurses were on ICU/ventilation wards.

Quite a lot we’re on low intensity wards looking after people who couldn’t be released.

The dancing was absolutely pathetic and should never have been done/celebrated but it doesn’t take a genius to work out how there was time for certain nurses to do idiotic TikTok’s.
Original post by Mess.
They had time to dance because not all nurses were on ICU/ventilation wards.

Quite a lot we’re on low intensity wards looking after people who couldn’t be released.

The dancing was absolutely pathetic and should never have been done/celebrated but it doesn’t take a genius to work out how there was time for certain nurses to do idiotic TikTok’s.

Wait, any sources?

Annd if this is so... I question the need for pay rises, especially with these kinds of nurses. Maybe a 5% pay rise?
Reply 58
Original post by justlearning1469
Wait, any sources?

Annd if this is so... I question the need for pay rises, especially with these kinds of nurses. Maybe a 5% pay rise?

So 15% nominal?
Reply 59
Original post by justlearning1469
Wait, any sources?

It’s not sources it’s just common ******* sense that any idiot would realise if they thought about it for a second.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending