The Student Room Group

Will going slightly over my calorie limit affect my diet?

So I've been dieting and exercising since New Year's Day, today is the first time since then I've eaten something unhealthy (a KFC) and the second time I skipped the gym. I definitely ate more than 1500 calories today (which you're supposed to eat when dieting) and might have ate more than 2000 (which you're supposed to eat daily to maintain your weight). If I did eat more than that am I going to put weight on? I'm so ****ed off with myself, I was doing quite well.
(edited 1 year ago)
I wouldn't worry and overstress about one day going over your calorie deficit, a lot of people incorporate 'cheat days' into their cuts anyway which is perfectly normal and makes things less stressful.

You sound like you're doing really well so keep it up and keep consistent, eating above your deficit every now and again isn't going to impact your progress everyone does it otherwise losing weight would be miserable! Plus you've got 7 days in a week and eating healthier for 6 of them is an incredible achievement as it is, that one day isn't going to negate your progress. 2000 calories is the recommended AVERAGE for adults anyway, that will differ with every person and everyone has different intakes to maintain weight. It's a healthy amount of calories to consume anyway, so again I wouldn't overstress.
Reply 2
Original post by toon2121
I wouldn't worry and overstress about one day going over your calorie deficit, a lot of people incorporate 'cheat days' into their cuts anyway which is perfectly normal and makes things less stressful.

You sound like you're doing really well so keep it up and keep consistent, eating above your deficit every now and again isn't going to impact your progress everyone does it otherwise losing weight would be miserable! Plus you've got 7 days in a week and eating healthier for 6 of them is an incredible achievement as it is, that one day isn't going to negate your progress. 2000 calories is the recommended AVERAGE for adults anyway, that will differ with every person and everyone has different intakes to maintain weight. It's a healthy amount of calories to consume anyway, so again I wouldn't overstress.

I guess you're right, but I've tried dieting/exercising before and gave up because the food was disgusting and the gym too hard, so I don't want to do that again. I promised myself I wouldn't eat rubbish except for birthdays/Christmas etc or miss the gym unless something important came up, so I am quite annoyed with myself.
Diet is about consistency. One or two bad days & not compounding bad days with more bad days is what’s important.
I mean I’m not sure but honestly if you do eat more calories than you need than you can burn it off by exercise
Original post by NB_08
So I've been dieting and exercising since New Year's Day, today is the first time since then I've eaten something unhealthy (a KFC) and the second time I skipped the gym. I definitely ate more than 1500 calories today (which you're supposed to eat when dieting) and might have ate more than 2000 (which you're supposed to eat daily to maintain your weight). If I did eat more than that am I going to put weight on? I'm so ****ed off with myself, I was doing quite well.

you gain weight over time. you dont wake up, look in the mirror and see your body has completly altered the way it looks do you? one day wont make a difference. dont stress over it! you got this
Original post by NB_08
I guess you're right, but I've tried dieting/exercising before and gave up because the food was disgusting and the gym too hard, so I don't want to do that again. I promised myself I wouldn't eat rubbish except for birthdays/Christmas etc or miss the gym unless something important came up, so I am quite annoyed with myself.

Try to use that annoyance with yourself to channel discipline, you're annoyed at yourself for breaking that promise. So use that annoyance to go to the gym tomorrrow and make up for it, starting out is the hardest part. Once you get into a routine it becomes more and more enjoyable.
Reply 7
It's about consistency. If you ate well over your calorie allowance every day and didn't exercise, then you would gain weight. But one day of eating more than usual won't make you gain weight, the same way that just one day of eating less than usual won't make you lose weight. Don't beat yourself up!
Moved to life and style

Quick Reply

Latest