The Student Room Group

Which University should I choose for BSc Mathematics and Physics

Which University should I choose for BSc Mathematics and Physics in the UK from UCL, Manchester, Birmingham and Lancaster? Any suggestion, advice or sharing personal experience will be really helpful. Thanks.
Have you got offers from all 4?
Original post by PQ
Have you got offers from all 4?

I am actually asking for my daughter. She has got offer from three and waiting for UCL's decision.
Original post by pamelachatterjee
I am actually asking for my daughter. She has got offer from three and waiting for UCL's decision.

Has she visited them yet?
She's got until May at the earliest to decide so there's plenty of time to visit. Most universities will have offer holder days for applicants to visit in the next few months.

Picking a firm choice is a very personal decision - it's really difficult to advise on which to choose without knowing your daughter's priorities and preferences for a course and study and living environment.
Original post by PQ
Has she visited them yet?
She's got until May at the earliest to decide so there's plenty of time to visit. Most universities will have offer holder days for applicants to visit in the next few months.

Picking a firm choice is a very personal decision - it's really difficult to advise on which to choose without knowing your daughter's priorities and preferences for a course and study and living environment.

We live in India and she is an international applicant so visiting universities is not possible for us. She applied based on the university ranking and the course. That’s why advice from personal experiences would be really helpful for her to decide firms and insurance choices.
I am a Year 2 Mathematics student at Lancaster so I can tell you what I know about it.

The A Level requirements to get into Lancaster are A Levels AAA, with an A in Mathematics and an A in Physics. This might be reduced significantly in clearing.

Lancaster University is a campus of about 12000 full time students, as well as some people who are doing terms abroad in Lancaster. It is a concentration of modern buildings in a historic town, although a small part of the accommodation is historic. The university is mostly surrounded by farms, and there is a mountain nearby to the university but it is hard to walk there.

It is divided into 8 undergraduate colleges, which each have their own common room, mail room, music room, and bar. There are also a lot of staff members who work for a college. Each year, students have to pay a £40 college membership fee, which means they can attend all the college events. Each college also has teams for various sports.

The term dates at Lancaster are:
Welcome Week 2-6 October 2023
Michaelmas term 6 October 2023 15 December 2023
Lent term 12 January 2024 22 March 2024
Summer term 19 April 2024 28 June 2024 (although in years 2 and above there are no academic events near the end of the summer term)

Lancaster also has catered accommodation, a large indoor swimming pool on campus, and lots of support services and things to do.

For Mathematics, the teaching is divided into lectures and workshops. In the first term of Year 1, there is also a weekly support session, and in the first term and a half of Year 1, there are "problem solving" sessions where the questions are more open-ended. Each week, students will also have to submit up to two assessments. They submit fewer assessments at a time as they progress through the course, but they are also expected to work more independently as they progress through the course. I don't know what the teaching structure of Physics is, but in the first year three fifths of the content will be from the Mathematics side of the course.

You can find out about Lancaster by going on the website of the course or the university in general.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
(edited 1 year ago)
We live in India and she is an international applicant so visiting universities is not possible for us. She applied based on the university ranking and the course. That’s why advice from personal experiences would be really helpful for her to decide firms and insurance choices.

What sort of study and living environment is she looking for?
Any preferences/pros and cons already on her list?
Which University should I choose for BSc Mathematics and Physics in the UK from UCL, Manchester, Birmingham and Lancaster? Any suggestion, advice or sharing personal experience will be really helpful. Thanks.

On my perspective and experience i think if you can take Manchester you will be good i have been a tutor for different students in the school and actually the angagement with the administration was amazing
Original post by fredrick_musyoki
On my perspective and experience i think if you can take Manchester you will be good i have been a tutor for different students in the school and actually the angagement with the administration was amazing

Manchester treated their students appallingly during covid restrictions and afterwards.

Their students are currently on rent strike due to the abysmal conditions in student accommodation https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2023-01-25/students-in-rent-strike-over-mould-and-rat-infested-halls
(edited 1 year ago)
ohw so sorry to hear this which camous do you feel you can go for?

Original post by PQ
Manchester treated their students appallingly during covid restrictions and afterwards.

Their students are currently on rent strike due to the abysmal conditions in student accommodation https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2023-01-25/students-in-rent-strike-over-mould-and-rat-infested-halls

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending