The Student Room Group

UCAS advice, who should I make my reference?

Long story short, I've began to study biomedical science at the University of Westminster, I realised that instead of biomed, studying mathematics was a better fit instead, so I dropped out of the course and wrote a personal statement for mathematics. I thought the deadline was for 26th January when in fact it was the 25th, but I'm trying to stay as calm as possible, even though i'm freaking out.

I'm making another application and I don't know who to make my refee.
Well the deadline for submission was 6pm I’m pretty sure…
Original post by Muhammad012
Long story short, I've began to study biomedical science at the University of Westminster, I realised that instead of biomed, studying mathematics was a better fit instead, so I dropped out of the course and wrote a personal statement for mathematics. I thought the deadline was for 26th January when in fact it was the 25th, but I'm trying to stay as calm as possible, even though i'm freaking out.

I'm making another application and I don't know who to make my refee.

Most courses stay open after Jan 25th, so you may still be considered, even post-deadline. Maths is a bit sketchier as it's popular, but it just depends on the unis you're applying to.

Ideally, unis would want a reference from UoW, but it depends how long you were there and whether they could say anything of note. I'd usually recommend contacting your choices and checking if they have any preference, but in this case it would be best to submit the app ASAP with whichever ref is easiest for you to obtain, (either UoW or your previous place of study). If you're asked for a more recent ref, or one with more detail, you can always sort that out later.
Even if you thought the deadline was the 26th I got no idea why you thought you could get a reference in a single day. As the above reply has said contact whichever potential referee asap via phone NOT email if you're able to. Worst case if both say they can't provide a reference or cannot provide it that quickly then (I'm thinking this is good advice) contact each uni you're thinking of applying to, explain your situation and ask if you can submit your application and upload your reference in a week or two when onto their application portal or whatever they are using.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by alanb21
Even if you thought the deadline was the 26th I got no idea why you thought you could get a reference in a single day. As the above reply has said contact whichever potential referee asap via phone NOT email if you're able to. Worst case if both say they can't provide a reference or cannot provide it that quickly then (I'm thinking this is good advice) contact each uni you're thinking of applying to, explain your situation and ask if you can submit your application and upload your reference in a week or two when onto their application portal or whatever they are using.

- My personal tutor for University wouldn't have anything to say about me. I barely knew him.
Okay, I'll call and ask them if I cant get those refrences. If I'm honest, I completely forgot about the reference untill I saw it in my UCAS application.
Original post by Muhammad012
- My personal tutor for University wouldn't have anything to say about me. I barely knew him.
Okay, I'll call and ask them if I cant get those refrences. If I'm honest, I completely forgot about the reference untill I saw it in my UCAS application.

It's alright, take it as a lesson to just double or triple check things like this in the future.

I also checked your current course and see that the entry requirements are CCC / BBB. To be honest even though I'm only just applying to uni for this year I would be pretty confident that you would be able to get into a lot of universities for mathematics with those similar entry requirements through clearing even if you don't get a offer by May. What grades did you achieve in your A Levels?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by alanb21
It's alright, take it as a lesson to just double or triple check things like this in the future.

I also checked your current course and see that the entry requirements are CCC / BBB. To be honest even though I'm only just applying to uni for this year I would be pretty confident that you would be able to get into a lot of universities for mathematics with those similar entry requirements through clearing even if you don't get a offer by May. What grades did you achieve in your A Levels?

I recieved BBB, but Queen Mary (the uni I want to go to) requires ABB. I'm applying there anyways as I know people who didn't get the required grades but still got accepted in unis. It's not the only university I'm applying to, but it's the only one I want to get accepted in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending