The Student Room Group

UCAS and returning to uni

Hi all,
Im hoping to get a bit of advice as im stuck on what i need to do in order to apply for university for 2024. Basically i was in Uni studying social work but had to withdraw in june due to a medical problem that required me to move back home to receive treatment, Ive been in treatment for a while now and i feel more than ready to get back to university and get my degree. However, Im hoping to apply for a completely different course as social work just wasnt for me and ive had time to think about what i really want to do during my time out of education so I would really like to apply to a new course at unis closer to home rather than hours away like i did previously.

I applied through UCAS with my college the first time round, and now im no longer in college im just a bit unsure how i go about getting a reference or just applying in general. Am i better off explaining my circumstances to the universities directly by email first? im also a bit unclear about how student finance would work too, i never completed first year but left quite late into 3rd semester and havent heard anything from them since the university sent me an email letting me know that my last date of attendance which was 2nd of june had been sent to student finance.
Im sorry about all the info here im just not getting any clear answers on all these websites!! im hoping to apply as soon as possible so any help would be really really appreciated :smile:
Original post by funnyinnit
Hi all,
Im hoping to get a bit of advice as im stuck on what i need to do in order to apply for university for 2024. Basically i was in Uni studying social work but had to withdraw in june due to a medical problem that required me to move back home to receive treatment, Ive been in treatment for a while now and i feel more than ready to get back to university and get my degree. However, Im hoping to apply for a completely different course as social work just wasnt for me and ive had time to think about what i really want to do during my time out of education so I would really like to apply to a new course at unis closer to home rather than hours away like i did previously.

I applied through UCAS with my college the first time round, and now im no longer in college im just a bit unsure how i go about getting a reference or just applying in general. Am i better off explaining my circumstances to the universities directly by email first? im also a bit unclear about how student finance would work too, i never completed first year but left quite late into 3rd semester and havent heard anything from them since the university sent me an email letting me know that my last date of attendance which was 2nd of june had been sent to student finance.
Im sorry about all the info here im just not getting any clear answers on all these websites!! im hoping to apply as soon as possible so any help would be really really appreciated :smile:

Hey,
Firstly, contact the admissions team at other universities you are interested in and state which course you would like to apply for, give details of your modules you took at uni and the grades for them, as well as college and GCSE grades. They will tell you whether you can apply directly through the university or through UCAS. If you need to apply through UCAS, you will have to make a new application. For your reference, ask your academic tutor/mentor you had at your last uni (email/call), explaining your situation and they should be happy to provide you with one or someone from the social work department, You then put their details into your ucas form and send it. Obviously let them know as soon as possible so your application can be processed in time. Student Finance should be able to fund you as it is your first degree (they fund up to 4 years I think so your first year of your last course plus the next 3 years of your new degree). You will have to make a new application to them which can take up to 6 weeks to process so you should do this ASAP to ensure your payment comes in on time. Are you planning on starting this year or next year? Because UCAS Clearing are open until 17th October for 2023 entry so if you want to start your course now I would apply as soon as possible. Hope this helps!
@funnyinnit
Also, when applying you're allowed to use your personal statement from last year, but update it with the skills you've gained in last year (e.g. teamwork), how this will equip you for your new course, and include reasons for leaving your last course and why you want to apply to your new course.
(edited 6 months ago)
Did you get on well with any members of staff at the uni you had to leave, or have a personal tutor who knew you or anything like that? If so asking them would be your best bet. If not, one of your college teachers may still be prepared to write you a reference and let you apply through there.

More generally, there's info on the UCAS website about applying as an individual although it would be easier to do it through your old college you can. Student finance you automatically get funding for the length of your individual course plus one year so if you're still going for a three year course you should be fine. If needed you could apply to have an extra one added as you had to leave for a medical reason, but this is more complex and requires a lot more evidence etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending