The Student Room Group

Do I have to mention that I dropped out of university?

Hi Again, I've asked this question before and I've been told "yes" by a lot of people in the student room, however, when I called in on UCAS, they said that I didn't have the mention the fact that I dropped out of university in the education section. (I was there only for 3 months and didn't achieve any qualifications or go through any examinations)

What do I do? Shall I listen to UCAS and not mention it?
Reply 1
Update: I called in twice, they both said I don't have to mention it. Also, for the second time, I recorded the entire conversation through my other iPhone. Included the calling process, this is just to make sure that if someone asks me why I didn't mention it in the future, I have that as evidence.

I plan to submit the application now without making reference to the 3 months that I was in the first term at my previous university. Still think I'm making a bad choice? anyone?
Original post by IWINTWIN
Update: I called in twice, they both said I don't have to mention it. Also, for the second time, I recorded the entire conversation through my other iPhone. Included the calling process, this is just to make sure that if someone asks me why I didn't mention it in the future, I have that as evidence.

I plan to submit the application now without making reference to the 3 months that I was in the first term at my previous university. Still think I'm making a bad choice? anyone?

You've received dreadful advice from UCAS on both occasions I'm afraid. In all honesty I would consider submitting a formal complaint, as the guidance that they've given you could see any of your offers withdrawn or you being given the boot from the entire application cycle.

It's written plain as day in their own Applicant Guidance:

"If you studied at a uni or college but didn't finish the course, you still need to enter these details. Include the start and finish date, and state that you didn't receive any qualifications there."

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/filling-your-ucas-undergraduate-application

To set your mind at ease, it's perfectly normal to reapply for a new course, and unis rarely if ever care about this.

Did you ask for and record the name and job title of both people on the UCAS call centre? Unless you can hold them responsible when it comes to light that you've withheld information then I wouldn't recommend following their advice.

UCAS are terrible for employing temp staff who will spout any old crap to people on the phone.

When you submit your application you agree that the information you've provided is true and complete.

Universities aren't stupid - they'll see that you have a gap in your education and assume you've withheld information about what you did during that year.

You MUST complete a full education history in the Education section. If you don't then your application will be technically fraudulent and you risk losing any offers (I have known of students being told to leave their course when omitted application information came to light 1 year into their course). This isn't optional.

Lying will damage your application.
Listing a university course that you didn't finish will not.
I understand employers ask about gaps in your CV and could do with this one. Suspicions can be aroused that you were a member of a protest or terrorist group.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
Did you ask for and record the name and job title of both people on the UCAS call centre? Unless you can hold them responsible when it comes to light that you've withheld information then I wouldn't recommend following their advice.

UCAS are terrible for employing temp staff who will spout any old crap to people on the phone.

When you submit your application you agree that the information you've provided is true and complete.

Universities aren't stupid - they'll see that you have a gap in your education and assume you've withheld information about what you did during that year.

You MUST complete a full education history in the Education section. If you don't then your application will be technically fraudulent and you risk losing any offers (I have known of students being told to leave their course when omitted application information came to light 1 year into their course). This isn't optional.

Lying will damage your application.
Listing a university course that you didn't finish will not.

Thanks PQ, I've sent my application through and have added my time at Exeter in the education section. Following the advice of the admission staff at the universities I applied too, I positively made a reference to my short time at Exeter and what I did after I left as well as what makes me different now coming back to university.

These UCAS people really are confusing. Anyone who is reading this who happens to be in the same situation as I, take this as a warning.
Thanks PQ, I've sent my application through and have added my time at Exeter in the education section. Following the advice of the admission staff at the universities I applied too, I positively made a reference to my short time at Exeter and what I did after I left as well as what makes me different now coming back to university.

These UCAS people really are confusing. Anyone who is reading this who happens to be in the same situation as I, take this as a warning.

That's good to know

Best of luck with your application and your new degree :smile:
Reply 7

did you get any offers, how did the unis respond to you, as i am too thinking of dropping out
Reply 8
Original post by greussy
did you get any offers, how did the unis respond to you, as i am too thinking of dropping out

Yeah pal, ended up getting an offer in the end. Wasn’t even an issue in the slightest. In retrospect I was too worried for basically nothing. On my second year now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending