The Student Room Group

someone help me decide my future

I really, really need advice here.
I’m currently in my first year of a BSc Adult Nursing degree and when I applied to this degree, I also applied to medical school. I failed the BMAT and only got a B & C in A level Chem & Bio (but an A* in A level Psych), so I didn’t get into medical school.
A college close to me does an access course to medicine which also guarantees me an interview at my desired medical school. I don’t know whether to drop out of my nursing degree and do this.
I have a lot of issues here though with either option.
Firstly, I resent not doing medical school. I keep saying I’ll be a PA or an NP after my nursing degree…basically because I want to be a doctor and I’m trying to justify being as close to a doctor as I can, lying to myself saying I’ll be happy as a PA or NP - I won’t, I’ll envy the doctors. However, I do think I could get the grades in chem & bio (a lot of circumstances meant I didn’t first time round, namely because of me being a private candidate and working ENTIRELY from home because my dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer - I was predicted two A’s but it just didn’t figure out) but my god the BMAT was something else. I just couldn’t do it, it was IMPOSSIBLE. it terrifies me!!! I just don’t think I could pass it.
Also, I absolutely love my degree. I haven’t been happy in years and since starting my degree I’ve felt genuine happiness. I am in the best place I’ve ever been, I honestly feel complete after years of struggling with my mental health. However it’s because of the people and the uni experience, NOT the subject. I hate the subject, it is taught awfully and just doesn’t feel right - I feel so so lost when it comes to my position as a student nurse…but my new friends complete me. My uni feels like home. I haven’t had friends like this in my whole life, I haven’t felt belonging like this in forever. I’ve done one placement so far on my degree and it felt wrong, I felt lost. Although, it was in a GP surgery and I know I do not want to work there, I’ve always wanted to work in a hospital.

I don’t know what to do. And if I drop out and don’t get into medical school, I'm left having wasted thousands in an access course and a year of my nursing degree and I’d probably go back to nursing and then…I’m back at square one and should’ve just stayed.
@Emily_B

I would personally complete your adult nursing degree course first and foremost and then perhaps look into doing the PA / NP later on

You are not guarantee a place on medical course if you applied.
Original post by ssmin56
I’m currently in my first year of a BSc Adult Nursing degree and when I applied to this degree, I also applied to medical school. I failed the BMAT and only got a B & C in A level Chem & Bio (but an A* in A level Psych), so I didn’t get into medical school.
A college close to me does an access course to medicine which also guarantees me an interview at my desired medical school. I don’t know whether to drop out of my nursing degree and do this.
Firstly, I resent not doing medical school. I keep saying I’ll be a PA or an NP after my nursing degree…basically because I want to be a doctor and I’m trying to justify being as close to a doctor as I can, lying to myself saying I’ll be happy as a PA or NP - I won’t, I’ll envy the doctors. However, I do think I could get the grades in chem & bio (a lot of circumstances meant I didn’t first time round, namely because of me being a private candidate and working ENTIRELY from home because my dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer - I was predicted two A’s but it just didn’t figure out) but my god the BMAT was something else. I just couldn’t do it, it was IMPOSSIBLE. it terrifies me!!! I just don’t think I could pass it.
Also, I absolutely love my degree. I haven’t been happy in years and since starting my degree I’ve felt genuine happiness. I am in the best place I’ve ever been, I honestly feel complete after years of struggling with my mental health. However it’s because of the people and the uni experience, NOT the subject. I hate the subject, it is taught awfully and just doesn’t feel right - I feel so so lost when it comes to my position as a student nurse…but my new friends complete me. My uni feels like home. I haven’t had friends like this in my whole life, I haven’t felt belonging like this in forever. I’ve done one placement so far on my degree and it felt wrong, I felt lost. Although, it was in a GP surgery and I know I do not want to work there, I’ve always wanted to work in a hospital.

I don’t know what to do. And if I drop out and don’t get into medical school, I'm left having wasted thousands in an access course and a year of my nursing degree and I’d probably go back to nursing and then…I’m back at square one and should’ve just stayed.

You "love" your course but "hate" the subject... that doesn't make sense.
This really sounds like you don't like your course at all and only accepted a place to study nursing because you didn't get in to medicine (when nursing definitely isn't the place for failed medical students).

I would recommend seeing what your next placement is like - hospital ward nursing may make you see nursing in a different light and help you to appreciate and enjoy the vocation. If it doesn't do that for you, drop out - and whatever you do, don't go back to nursing just because you didn't then get into medicine.

If you do re-try for medicine, be careful about where you apply - some places don't accept A level (or equivalent) re-sits or access courses (assistance with this can be found in the medicine forum)
Reply 3
Original post by ssmin56

debrah?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending