The Student Room Group

Dentistry after a gap year

Deleted Post
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
im going to assume you are starting year 13 in a couple of weeks if so this will be the timeline:

Sept 2022 - July 2023* = This is your Year 13, during which you revise and get the best grades you can. You may also want to volunteer, work experience, read books and basically anything to fill a personal statement. AND REVISE UCAT

May - June 2023** = UCAT registration opens - so sign up and book a date. Book a date early enough so if you don't do well you can re-route

August 2023 = You get your A-Level result and have smashed it.

August 2023 - Sept 2023 = Write your personal statement and start your UCAS application. Your school is able to still be your reference just ask them. You may want to start interview prep

15th October 2023 = This is the deadline for Oxbridge/Med/Dentistry applications.

15th October 2023 - June 2024 = Interview and offers.

July - September 2024 = Finally have a relaxed summer

September or October 2024 = You start dentistry

* I don't know if you still want to apply with the rest of your cohort, if so just do what your school wants you to do - then follow this timeline
** The dates for UCAT changes every year so just keep an eye out for this.
Original post by IBRAHIM378
Hi guys,

I have a few questions about my application to university.

Due to slacking off at the start of Y12 I doubt I will meet the minimum predicted grades to apply to dentistry this year. However, I know, and my teachers have confirmed, that with my current effort I can get the grades in my real summer exams. For this reason, I plan on taking a gap year after Y13, doing my work experience etc, and applying with my actual grades.

Could someone please explain the application process if I plan on going this way? Could you please include key dates I will have to take into account.

I also know I need to revise for and sit the UCAT, when does this have to be done by?

Any help will be much appreciated
Thank you

Study hard ... the dates above are solid...

Just study hard ... coming from a doctor!
Moved to dentistry and title amended to make the topic clearer.
Post #2 provides a good outline.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Mesopotamian…
Moved to dentistry and title amended to make the topic clearer.
Post #2 provides a good outline.

hi please direct me to the original post
send me a link if possible

Quick Reply

Latest