The Student Room Group

Applying for medicine after a gap year?

Im in year 13 and I want to apply for medicine. My grades need a little brushing up. I haven't sat the UCAT yet. I know I can achieve the right grades by the time I sit my A levels, but I probably won't get predicted high enough. Im not very confident about the UCAT either as I left preparation til late.
I'm debating on applying for 2023 rather than 2022. By that time I will have got my A level results, and ofcourse I can cancel my UCAT and sit it next year as it has to be done the year before.
Should I take a gap year? Would the application process be any different and how?
Reply 1
Original post by ieatfoodtocope
Im in year 13 and I want to apply for medicine. My grades need a little brushing up. I haven't sat the UCAT yet. I know I can achieve the right grades by the time I sit my A levels, but I probably won't get predicted high enough. Im not very confident about the UCAT either as I left preparation til late.
I'm debating on applying for 2023 rather than 2022. By that time I will have got my A level results, and ofcourse I can cancel my UCAT and sit it next year as it has to be done the year before.
Should I take a gap year? Would the application process be any different and how?

You could, if your predicted grades aren't high enough, applying with good achieved grades can help. Doing a gap year also allows you time to get more experience, which can really improve your application. What are your predicted grades now? How much time have you spent on the UCAT and how well are you scoring? You can also talk to teachers at your school for more advice - they are likely way more experienced at this and may be able to help you decide.
My predicted grades as of now are ABC. I've only looked at the UCAT briefly 3 times so I'm very unprepared (I booked it for the 25th, I don't think that's sufficient time). I don't know if this is possible, but could I apply for another course this year and medicine for 2023, so that if I don't do so well I can start another course in 2022? I just think I can achieve better with more time and strengthen my application as you said, it will be a lot less stressful for me too.
Reply 3
I apply for another course this year and medicine for 2023, so that if I don't do so well I can start another course in 2022?

That seems sensible. Realistically with those predicted grades and doing the UCAT with no prep it will be hard to get through to medicine interview stage.
Thanks for your help guys, appreciate it.

I'm gonna see my careers adviser asap so I can make the relevant changes.
Original post by soundslikesam13
Hi,

I am finding myself in a similar position; what did you end up doing in the end, and would you recommend taking a gap year?

Hi,

I’d love to help you but I’m not sure if I’m able to given that, following a work experience I undertook at a pharmacy, my aspirations changed. I ended up applying for pharmacy in the end. If you still have questions I’d be more than happy to answer them :smile:

Hi there,

I am finding myself in a similar situation this year. How did everything for you? Did you get in the end

I am debating whether to take a gap year, so anything you could share with me, I'd very much appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending