The Student Room Group
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website

AMA - Film and Media Student at Staffs - Courses, Facilities and Student Life

Hi, my name is Tiff and I am a media student at Staffordshire University.

As part of my course, I study Film, Television and Radio, meaning I get to obtain a wider understanding of the industry and it many career roles. We get to participate in a mixture of creative and practical assignments, alongside those that consist of theoretical and written work surrounding the context of the industry. When we are not analysing media products, we are making our own. So far over my first year and a half of studying media, projects I have worked on include short films, live TV shows, a TV drama, radio shows, podcasts, and writing an original script. Within these projects I have been able to experience a range of roles and careers that I may want to pursue in the future, including directing, scriptwriting, lighting operator and presenting. I chose Staffs for this course due to its practical and hands-on focus when studying, sows by the amazing facilities that it has to cater or this. The university has its own TV, radio and sound studios, all full of industry-standard equipment for students to use, something I felt was missing from some other university courses that I looked at during my university application process. It also has a media stores centre equipped with cameras, lights, microphones, hard drives etc., all available for students to book and use once the required training is complete. Lecturers also push for collaboration between the media, drama and music courses, getting students used to the importance of networking when entering the industry. Here is a YouTube video where I discuss why I chose this course, so please feel free to give this a watch: Why I Chose to Study Film, Television and Radio

So far, my time here at Staffs has been a delight. Unlike a lot of students, I was not ready to take the leap and move away from home for university, and the central location of Staffs means that it is only a one-hour commute from my home in Birmingham. Very ideal and accessible. The many events and social spaces at Staffs has still allowed me to gain the full university experience and make many friends. So, if you are also thinking that commuting is the best choice for you, do not worry, you will still enjoy the student experience, even if it is slightly different to others (and the train journeys are a great way of getting work done). Like anyone, you may encounter a few low points, I know I have, but I have found that the students and staff here have always been very supportive, providing help, support and check-ins, to ensure that I enjoy my time here. It has made the small challenges I have faced, a whole lot easier to get through.

If you have any questions about being a media student, or what it's like being a media student at Staffs, please feel free to ask in this thread, and we will do our best to help. In the meantime, here are the links to our Staffordshire university website where you can take a look at the media courses that we offer:
Creative Media Production
Film Production

I hope you find what you are looking for at university.
Thanks,
Tiff (Staffordshire University Ambassador) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending