The Student Room Group

is god real?

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if god is real or not!
Let me know please :smile:

Scroll to see replies

It's me
I am a Muslim and I believe so. I believe god triggered big bang and evolution, science and god work hand in hand.
Muslim here as well, so I believe so. I am actually a revert/convert to Islam so I became Muslim close to a year ago. It is definitely something good to look into and research. In my experience when I found Islam I was taking things slowly, looking at each side and it brought me ease, gave me a purpose in life and made me feel less alone because no matter what happened, I had Allah (God).

Definitely recommend to do some research and look into it for yourself :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by user13424524389

Which version of god are you referring to? There have been thousands.

But in general terms, whichever god we look at there is far more evidence and argument for them not existing.
It is interesting to note that even the most devout believer in god finds the existence of 99.9% of gods unreasonable or even ridiculous. In almost every case they just happen to believe in the god they were raised to believe in. Coincidence? :dontknow:
There are currently no scientific tools and methods able to test for the supernatural and the latter may not even exist. It also depends how you define God. I believe in an all-pervading intelligence and I have had many of what some would call mystical experiences. However, I recognise that this isn’t considered evidence and I’m fine with that.
I guess no one can say for certain whether God is real or not. And the anthropological history of the concept of a God in itself is quite baffling. Natural phenomena must have been attributed to a supernatural cause, rather than a natural one; hence, springs forth the concept of a God to explain the mystery (this is how I suspect things played out). As long as the vacuum of the unknown exists, the mystery will continue to sustain the idea of a God. In my opinion, the concept of a God is a convenient justification for ignorance.
(edited 1 year ago)
1. There is a tread in debate section that will have more responses on this topic than this thread will populate that is dedicated to the question "does god exist." I recommend taking a look there for anyone considering this question.

2. Before looking into an exact answer, consider what you want or need to develop an answer. There are many who will claim there is evidence for god and those who say there is not evidence for god. Some use philosophy while others look at mathmatics. Some point to miracles or scientific laws. Oral tradition can be looked at while others decide to ignore oral tradition.

I would suggest being open minded to some evidences that we otherwise might not consider. Looking at the reasonings behind such evidences. For example, if I dont think mathmatics is involved in determining god's existence, there is no harm in seeing why bob thinks it does.

3. If we look at evolution. We have creatures who have some trait that is same or similar to a previous generation. This leads back to different species converging to a single genetic link. The evolution of many species looks like a tree branching off from an origional source. This is the same for religion and faith, diversifying as man adapted and migrated.

This is part to how we see so many similarities in religions and cultures. From dragons to flood stories. For example, when settlers visited americas, some natives identifed adam and eve story to be similar if not same as their own creation stories. These things develop through oral tradition that over time changes due to variations in human wants.

Id say this develops in same way religious groups split today or 500 years ago or 1000 years ago. Different opinions vs different attitudes. I compare it often to a group of hebrews worshipping a golden calf. Unpleased with x, therefore I say/do y.

4. There is no evidence to suggest everything religious is based on filling a gap. Many aspects is not based on a therefore b. Instead we see more instances where a supernatural being is accredited with being able to do a and therefore is believed to be doing a. For example, lightning being caused by or associated with god of thunder because god of thunder is capable. Not necessarily, i see lightning therefore a god is doing it.

I am sure some may believe everything occurs as a direct cause, but even this may stem more from a god always having a direct influence. Ex: jupiter controls the weather therefore we appease him to maintain a good healthy weather forecast. If forecast is bad, then jupiter changed it because a,b,c. Here the guess work is more along the line of how do we fit into the overall equation.
(edited 1 year ago)

I was informed that AI (Artificial Intelligence) is not sentient and it say as much when asked itself. Yet machines learn and to a certain extent have knowledge that is the case. How do you know you exist? How do you know you are a sentient being? How do you know that you are not a biological version of AI. My preposition, is the only existence is in one sentient being mind? Where we and everything else are parcels vibrational energy and in this form we are an transient aspect of that pure consciousness belonging to that of point zero, where God the grand designer imagines reality.

It is us that is not!

The teleological argument is an attempt to prove the existence of God that begins with the observation of the purposiveness of nature. The teleological argument moves to the conclusion that there must exist a designer. This argument is a posteriori, as it derives its evidence from observation of the natural world, and inductive because the truth of the premises does not logically guarantee the truth of the conclusion.

Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman

All the best...
:hello:

I have been an Athiest my whole life until I met my boyfriend and he made me believe in God because he is an undercover angel.
Although I don't identify with any religion, I have had a lot of experiences science will never be able to explain. I do believe there is a God or an entity out there that oversees all. There has to be because explaining what I've experienced scientifically is impossible.

However, I don't think this being is depicted accurately in any of the religions we have today. The rules in all of them clash strongly with what I've experienced, and my ideologies. That's why I don't follow any. I just focus on being a good person and treating everyone as kindly as I can.
I've watched him from the Kop
Hi Christian here, Is God real is probably the greatest question we as people can ask. I know I’m just a random guy on TSR but I can give you my personal testimony on why I choose to be a Christian. I have been raised a Christian and although my family aren’t what you would traditionally think of as devout, we don’t attend church often (very rarely in fact) I was raised on bible stories and always was surrounded by a Christian family. A wise woman once told me that we truly live in are moments of fear, desperation and uncertainty and what we turn to in those moments is what truly matters, and for me in my darkest, saddest and most frightening moments I turned to Jesus for help and guidance and I always felt his calming and loving presence in some way. In the past couple of days my dad was called to the hospital for an emergency scan and we were told that their was a strong chance he had bowel cancer, that night I prayed hard and asked for the lords help and guidance, the next morning my dad went to the hospital and was found to have a routine infection and not cancer which could have been fatal. Now I know countless Christians and non-believers aren’t so lucky and do lose loved ones to disease, war and countless other forms of evil and I don’t pretend to truly understand Gods true reasoning for these issues, however after praying that night I felt like a worry had been lifted of my shoulders and I felt peaceful as I knew deep down that the Lord would watch over my family what ever happened the next day.
(edited 1 year ago)

No, lol
Reply 14

John 14:15-20
If ye love me, keep my commandments.
And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it sees him not, neither knows him: . . .

I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
Yet a little while, and the world sees me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.
At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you.

Jesus' commandments, the gospel directives, are to repent, i.e. admit you are wrong, missing God, be baptised, identifying with his death in the flesh, because the natural man is not God, receive the Spirit of God.
See Acts 2 for more details.
If you want to come to a meeting where these things are upheld, PM me.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 15
Original post by NJA
John 14:15-20
If ye love me, keep my commandments.
And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it sees him not, neither knows him: . . .

I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
Yet a little while, and the world sees me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.
At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you.

Jesus' commandments, the gospel directives, are to repent, i.e. admit you are wrong, missing God, be baptised, identifying with his death in the flesh, because the natural man is not God, receive the Spirit of God.
See Acts 2 for more details.
If you want to come to a meeting where these things are upheld, PM me.

Simply repeating scripture is not evidence for the god described in said scripture
Please try harder.
Reply 16
Original post by WADR
Simply repeating scripture is not evidence for the god described in said scripture
Please try harder.

Many other people have Heard the promise and invitation of God and have bothered to get up from their backside and go to Meet with people that are obedient to it ,they see the evidence. .That's the way it works.
100% does not exist in any form as a singular or multiple entity
Original post by NJA
Many other people have Heard the promise and invitation of God and have bothered to get up from their backside and go to Meet with people that are obedient to it ,they see the evidence. .That's the way it works.

Ever hear out the lord and saviour gandalf? He said to look out for him at the first light on the fifth day in the east and lo and behold he arrived. Many people saw it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 19
Original post by NJA

You are talking about "belief", not "evidence".

I appreciate that people believe in gods, but there is no evidence for those gods.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending