The Student Room Group

Architecture subject requirements???

Soo I picked my alevel subjects which are art, chem, graphics communication and btec in the built environment. I’m planning to study architecture in uni and my top choice is UCL, however I’m unsure if my subjects are acceptable together, it may seem like a strange mix but I was told that architecture is a combination of science and art and believe I can make some sort of connection with chem in my personal statement. But I’m still not sure if these subjects are good enough. In Gcses I got a grade 7 for maths but didn’t feel confident enough to Persue it in alevel thus why I didn’t pick it. Can anyone let me know if my subjects are okay ??
Entry requirements are listed on university websites.
I put "UCL architecture entry requirements" into a search engine and it came up with this: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/architecture-bsc - it tells you whether or not your subjects are OK.
Oh, and just remember to link everything to architecture in your PS - you don't have to link all your A level subjects into it.
"No specific subjects. Comprehensive portfolio of creative work required at interview stage. At least two A level subjects should be taken from UCL's list of preferred A level subjects."

Assuming your art AL is one of the Art & Design programmes listed, you'll be fine.

Are you doing 3 x AL's and a BTEC?
Reply 3
Original post by Admit-One
"No specific subjects. Comprehensive portfolio of creative work required at interview stage. At least two A level subjects should be taken from UCL's list of preferred A level subjects."

Assuming your art AL is one of the Art & Design programmes listed, you'll be fine.

Are you doing 3 x AL's and a BTEC?

Thank you for replying, yes I’m doing 3 a levels and a btec. I’m just a bit worried since my careers advisor keeps saying that students doing alevel maths are preferred for the UCL architecture course, but as you’ve quoted there’s no specific subject requirements. My btec in the built environment does however have a separate examination for maths?
Original post by masfia_p
Thank you for replying, yes I’m doing 3 a levels and a btec. I’m just a bit worried since my careers advisor keeps saying that students doing alevel maths are preferred for the UCL architecture course, but as you’ve quoted there’s no specific subject requirements. My btec in the built environment does however have a separate examination for maths?

They wouldn't hide a preference for Maths if they had one, it doesn't benefit them to encourage applicants who aren't suitable or who are going to be disadvantaged because of their subject choices.

If you want a bit more comfort, there is no harm in emailing them just to confirm - [email protected].

The vast majority of architecture courses don't require specific subjects. There are a few exceptions (UCL is not one of them):

Strathclyde requires maths or physics
Some Cambridge colleges require maths or physics or essay-based subject
Bath prefers maths and/or physics plus art/design
Manchester "A mixture of science or maths and humanities or arts subjects is preferred, but not essential"
Robert Gordon "To include maths or a science and preferably art"

That still leaves a lot of very good architecture courses that don't require specific A levels. However, art and graphic communication might be too similar for some unis - check the entry requirements on the uni websites. Choose subjects you enjoy and will get the best grades in. You only need three A levels so not sure why you are doing the btec? You will need time to develop a portfolio during year 12/early yr 13.
Reply 6
Original post by normaw
The vast majority of architecture courses don't require specific subjects. There are a few exceptions (UCL is not one of them):

Strathclyde requires maths or physics
Some Cambridge colleges require maths or physics or essay-based subject
Bath prefers maths and/or physics plus art/design
Manchester "A mixture of science or maths and humanities or arts subjects is preferred, but not essential"
Robert Gordon "To include maths or a science and preferably art"

That still leaves a lot of very good architecture courses that don't require specific A levels. However, art and graphic communication might be too similar for some unis - check the entry requirements on the uni websites. Choose subjects you enjoy and will get the best grades in. You only need three A levels so not sure why you are doing the btec? You will need time to develop a portfolio during year 12/early yr 13.

Thank you for the reply. I’m doing the btec since it helps my understanding with my knowledge in the built environment and have found it helpful although I know it’s not needed since I already have 3 alevels (I’m thinking about dropping it). Another concern is that graphics and art may be too similar as you’ve pointed out, but most unis don’t really have specific subject requirements except the handful. I really want to go to a russel group uni which is why I’m concerned about the subject choices- beforehand I had no knowledge, I was just told to pick creative + a science/math.
Thank you for the reply. I’m doing the btec since it helps my understanding with my knowledge in the built environment and have found it helpful although I know it’s not needed since I already have 3 alevels (I’m thinking about dropping it). Another concern is that graphics and art may be too similar as you’ve pointed out, but most unis don’t really have specific subject requirements except the handful. I really want to go to a russel group uni which is why I’m concerned about the subject choices- beforehand I had no knowledge, I was just told to pick creative + a science/math.

Sounds like you’re getting some very poor careers advice tbh. Are they also responsible for pushing you towards RG universities even though they don’t have particularly good architecture courses?
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
Sounds like you’re getting some very poor careers advice tbh. Are they also responsible for pushing you towards RG universities even though they don’t have particularly good architecture courses?

Well going to a Russell group uni like ucl and Sheffield is out of my own interest, they have mentioned other unis. I’m aware not all RG unis offer the best course for architecture.
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
Sounds like you’re getting some very poor careers advice tbh. Are they also responsible for pushing you towards RG universities even though they don’t have particularly good?

Are my combination of subject really that bad? I intend to study at a uni more creative based rather than technical like bath so I thought it was okay… I’m really stressed out now lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending