The Student Room Group

Imperial or Bath for Biomed

I am so grateful to have been offered places to study Biomedical Sciences / Medical Biosciences at both Bath and Imperial. Now, I don't know which one to choose.

- In favor of Bath, I can completely see myself loving the campus and more slow-paced student life. I have only heard positive things about the course there and the university. It would be comfortably affordable for me to attend.

-In favor of Imperial, it is a well-renowned institution for research in the field, so I can only assume it would boost my future prospects (as I hope to do postgrad at Oxbridge, for example). However, I have heard many negative things about the newly designed course structure being poorly organized, though its lab-based nature interests me. It would be SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive to live in London (although I would equally love the big city life). As a girl who hopes to still be able to have a balanced social life while dedicating myself to my course, I have often heard about the high male:female ratio and the lack of social life at the uni.

Thoughts?? xx
Ok, before you make this decision, I need to ask. Do you want to go into diagnostics or research as this is a BIG thing which a LOT of people fall into trap wise and it screws them up for years!

Just giving a heads up, NEITHER are IBMS accredited.
Original post by Scienceisgood
Ok, before you make this decision, I need to ask. Do you want to go into diagnostics or research as this is a BIG thing which a LOT of people fall into trap wise and it screws them up for years!

Just giving a heads up, NEITHER are IBMS accredited.

I'm thinking like academia research... pursuing a PhD and then maybe becoming a professor or staying in a research position. (No, I do not want to be an NHS Biomedical Scientist nor work in biotech)
Ok, I can make a suggestion but please don’t take it on board too much as I have absolutely no interest in academia research, hence why I went into diagnostics.

I would say, if you’re willing to pay the extra, I think Imperial has the better reputation but as someone who went to UWE in Bristol, I visited Bath previously and can say that the city is absolutely beautiful.

That being said, I know people who attended the course in Bath (I worked in a place where people didn’t need accreditation for some of the jobs in that hospital such as associate practitioners) and they say they were very happy there.

So, if you want a uni where the course has been going for years, hence the improvements over the course’s time, I’d suggest Bath. If you want status but a potential for a course which may need improving due to it being newer meaning it may be a bit rough around the edges, Imperial.

Don’t take my word for it though as aside from me going to uni to do Biomedical Science for diagnostic purposes, I have no experience in academia as it’s not something I found all that interesting. So maybe wait for other opinions before listening to mine!
Original post by american.to.uk
I am so grateful to have been offered places to study Biomedical Sciences / Medical Biosciences at both Bath and Imperial. Now, I don't know which one to choose.

- In favor of Bath, I can completely see myself loving the campus and more slow-paced student life. I have only heard positive things about the course there and the university. It would be comfortably affordable for me to attend.

-In favor of Imperial, it is a well-renowned institution for research in the field, so I can only assume it would boost my future prospects (as I hope to do postgrad at Oxbridge, for example). However, I have heard many negative things about the newly designed course structure being poorly organized, though its lab-based nature interests me. It would be SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive to live in London (although I would equally love the big city life). As a girl who hopes to still be able to have a balanced social life while dedicating myself to my course, I have often heard about the high male:female ratio and the lack of social life at the uni.

Thoughts?? xx

Congrats on your offers! :clap2: What I would do to decide between the two would be to make a list of pros and cons of each uni and see how it weighs out. If you're able, you could also attend an offer holder day or a campus tour to get a feel for what the uni is like. Don't just look into course modules, look at accommodation, travel, transport and logistics like that too, because they're equally important! :biggrin:

Best of luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending