The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College - Personal Statement Specificity Query

I've emailed Imperial about this and as they've yet to respond, I thought I might as well put my question on here :smile:

I'm applying mostly to Biomedical Science courses therefore have written a biomed-centric PS. However, the Imperial Molecular Engineering course appeals to me far more than their Biomed course. Honestly, if there were more courses like Imperial's Mol Eng, that would be my most common choice. However, the course is pretty unique (unlike Biomed Eng, it takes a bottom-up approach to engineering, building upon biological principles, which I really like), hence the biomedical science applications.

How likely is it that Imperial will read my Personal Statement and reject me straight away based on the fact that it doesn't mention engineering at all? I have mentioned my aptitude for coding, love of research, have a chunk on radiology/physics principles and talk about multi-pronged approaches to problem solving, all of which seem to align with the mol eng curriculum, but I don't think it's as specific as they'd want, and in all, it's still clearly a biomed statement.

Imperial is my 2nd choice (1st being Oxford Biomed). I love the vibe of it and I don't want to waste the choice by applying to the wrong course. Despite liking the mol eng course way more than the biomed, I'd apply to biomed so I can still get into Imperial. Can someone tell me if I should go for Mol Eng or play it safe with Biomed?

(btw it's really the PS that worries me. Academically I'm secure, with 12*9s at GCSE and 4*A*s predicted. I just need to avoid an immediate rejection and get to the interview stage tbh)
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Calliope5Chalice
I've emailed Imperial about this and as they've yet to respond, I thought I might as well put my question on here :smile:

I'm applying mostly to Biomedical Science courses therefore have written a biomed-centric PS. However, the Imperial Molecular Engineering course appeals to me far more than their Biomed course. Honestly, if there were more courses like Imperial's Mol Eng, that would be my most common choice. However, the course is pretty unique (unlike Biomed Eng, it takes a bottom-up approach to engineering, building upon biological principles, which I really like), hence the biomedical science applications.

How likely is it that Imperial will read my Personal Statement and reject me straight away based on the fact that it doesn't mention engineering at all? I have mentioned my aptitude for coding, love of research, have a chunk on radiology/physics principles and talk about multi-pronged approaches to problem solving, all of which seem to align with the mol eng curriculum, but I don't think it's as specific as they'd want, and in all, it's still clearly a biomed statement.

Imperial is my 2nd choice (1st being Oxford Biomed). I love the vibe of it and I don't want to waste the choice by applying to the wrong course. Despite liking the mol eng course way more than the biomed, I'd apply to biomed so I can still get into Imperial. Can someone tell me if I should go for Mol Eng or play it safe with Biomed?

(btw it's really the PS that worries me. Academically I'm secure, with 12*9s at GCSE and 4*A*s predicted. I just need to avoid an immediate rejection and get to the interview stage tbh)

id ask if they would like a seperate personal statement for mol eng but wouldnt risk it applying with your current one which doesnt specify mol eng. From personal experience, all the ps ive seen of people who got into imperial are very specific to their course.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by azbycxdw
id ask if they would like a seperate personal statement for mol eng but wouldnt risk it applying with your current one which doesnt specify mol eng. From personal experience, all the ps ive seen of people who got into imperial are very specific to their course.

Thank you sm for the reply, I definitely got that vibe from reading Imperial PS' but Mol Eng is so niche anyway, both in terms of work ex/ shadowing opportunities and courses. I couldn't write a mol eng specific PS because there wasn't any uni in the UK that provided an engineering course that was bio enough (so I didn't apply for those courses and instead picked Biomed).

They replied to my email saying "I can add a few lines to the end of my PS about mol eng" and that "I wouldn't be at a disadvantage compared to other applicants" but I've submitted my PS for the early deadline so can't edit it. I emailed back asking if I could email in a separate paragraph to the department about my interest in Mol Eng and am awaiting a response. I reaaaaaally want to apply to this course but Imperial is my 2nd choice no matter what so I do need to be sensible about this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending