The Student Room Group

Should I take a gap year?

In short, I got into a pretty good uni for my course, but my dream uni is Imperial. Now I can continue and go to the uni i got into (Bath) or I can take a gap year and apply to Imperial again. Bath is cool and all, but I don't know about the uni culture and how much I'd love it. Then again, Imperial isn't much better, but it'd keep me in that focused mindset since it's more rigorous. Then again I don't know.
In my gap year I could do loads of things I'd been wanting to do, like take care of my health, more work experience, join RAF (part time) etc etc, but I also fear this would be a wasted year where I do nothing (procrastination).
But if I am to go Bath, I feel I would be okay, but I'll always think of what it'd be like if I went to Imperial.
Like, could anyone tell me any pros and cons of gap years? Things I could do that'd ensure the gap year would be fruitful, what the culture of University of Bath and Imperial College London are like?
Reply 1
Go to Bath, it will be fine and a blast
Reply 2
Did u go bath? How was it?

Original post by Zarek
Go to Bath, it will be fine and a blast
What course did you apply for? have you checked out the university ranking for that course ?
Have you visited bath university? the open days? the city itself ?

I was once in your shoes. i got into Leicester but not Warwick and had the same thoughts as you did. i decided to go with Leicester and honestly it was fine. yes, i do still have the thought of what if i got into warwick. but at the end of the day, you’ve been given an offer for bath and who knows what may happen, you may apply again and still not be selected for imperial. my honest advice ?… go for bath. start bath with a positive mindset and attitude and before you know it three years will have gone past and that degree you would’ve obtained would’ve been worth it
Reply 4
Original post by ladyof_neptune9
What course did you apply for? have you checked out the university ranking for that course ?
Have you visited bath university? the open days? the city itself ?

I was once in your shoes. i got into Leicester but not Warwick and had the same thoughts as you did. i decided to go with Leicester and honestly it was fine. yes, i do still have the thought of what if i got into warwick. but at the end of the day, you’ve been given an offer for bath and who knows what may happen, you may apply again and still not be selected for imperial. my honest advice ?… go for bath. start bath with a positive mindset and attitude and before you know it three years will have gone past and that degree you would’ve obtained would’ve been worth it

It's for aerospace engineering. I got a reply back from Imperial pretty early on, but fluked the admissions test cuz i didn't know I had em :/
And nope I didn't go to open days, neither virtual ones, neither been in Bath, I've been basing my choice off stuff I've seen online. But I think I'll go with Bath then I can do my postgraduate in Imperial.
Hi! I have the same issue haha, but I think what’s most important is the course you are taking. Apart from the uni itself, is the course you hold and offer for what you want to do and do you think you will like how it is structured, taught and assessed? Wishing you luck for the future :smile:
Original post by adyysonline
It's for aerospace engineering. I got a reply back from Imperial pretty early on, but fluked the admissions test cuz i didn't know I had em :/
And nope I didn't go to open days, neither virtual ones, neither been in Bath, I've been basing my choice off stuff I've seen online. But I think I'll go with Bath then I can do my postgraduate in Imperial.

Hi

I saw this and I wanted to say how Bath is a really beautiful, historical city and since I live on the outskirts, I tend to overlook it because I’m local but it genuinely is one of the nicest places out there with a thriving university and night life. If going to Bath instead of Imperial really isn’t your dream I’d say try again for Imperial because yolo and you need to be where you think you’d be happiest, but if you’re not too worried then I can guarantee you will have the time of your life studying in Bath!

Quick Reply

Latest