The Student Room Group

Application Process geared towards the privileged

I’m feeling dejected at the moment. So many people have received offers and invites to offer holder days. I’ve only received them from my two insurance choices, but the other three are saying they operate the tier system and will get back by mid May. However, offer holder days only run to the end of March, so I will miss out on attending these important events, and can’t start planning accommodation, finances etc for months. Meanwhile I read posts on here from people turning their noses up at good unis, yet they can hold onto FIVE offers until the June deadline while people like me are waiting with baited breath to get even just one offer from a good uni! I’m working so hard at my A levels and am predicted As and Bs, yet that’s still not good enough because there are people lucky enough to be at better schools (or have teachers more generous with their predicted grades) and predicted As and A*s. The irony is that education is meant to help you better yourself - but you can’t access good quality education because others (or their parents) are already ‘better’ than you. I wish the unis would look at more than just predicted grades, and give a chance to people like me who are hard working and passionate about our subject. And I wish the system for offer holder days etc was fairer, as I really wanted to attend these. I don’t understand why they only hold them until March when they know they are holding back on giving some offers until May? Like they can only be bothered to do it for the ‘better’ students. I feel like my future is in the hands of the more privileged, and I’m just waiting to receive their leftovers. There seems to be an unfair class system in education. Sorry for the rant!
(edited 1 year ago)
Your dejection is valid. Uni applications are stressful and frustrating for many :frown:

Small note though, unis don't process applications in any particular order. Just because other have received offers before you doesn't mean that you've been rejected. Unis may divide their applications into early applications, equal consideration applications and late applications, but they will send out offers in small randomized batches within these groups. Also, any offers made during this time do not fill up seats, so there's no need to worry about there not being any places by the time May rolls around :biggrin: Also, though the deadline for unis to make decisions is 18 May, most unis will make the majority of their offers before that.

Which unis did you apply to, and for what course?

If you're unable to make it to an offer holder day, maybe you could book onto a campus tour instead? You'd still be able to have a look around the uni and ask questions about what it's like. Some unis also keep an archive of virtual open days that you may find useful too. (Of course, this isn't the case for every uni.)

Best of luck to you! :smile:
Original post by Xevud
I’m feeling dejected at the moment. So many people have received offers and invites to offer holder days. I’ve only received them from my two insurance choices, but the other three are saying they operate the tier system and will get back by mid May. However, offer holder days only run to the end of March, so I will miss out on attending these important events, and can’t start planning accommodation, finances etc for months. Meanwhile I read posts on here from people turning their noses up at good unis, yet they can hold onto FIVE offers until the June deadline while people like me are waiting with baited breath to get even just one offer from a good uni! I’m working so hard at my A levels and am predicted As and Bs, yet that’s still not good enough because there are people lucky enough to be at better schools (or have teachers more generous with their predicted grades) and predicted As and A*s. The irony is that education is meant to help you better yourself - but you can’t access good quality education because others (or their parents) are already ‘better’ than you. I wish the unis would look at more than just predicted grades, and give a chance to people like me who are hard working and passionate about our subject. And I wish the system for offer holder days etc was fairer, as I really wanted to attend these. I don’t understand why they only hold them until March when they know they are holding back on giving some offers until May? Like they can only be bothered to do it for the ‘better’ students. I feel like my future is in the hands of the more privileged, and I’m just waiting to receive their leftovers. There seems to be an unfair class system in education. Sorry for the rant!

Where do you want to go to university and what s it that you are hoping to be reading?
Original post by sleep_supremacy
Your dejection is valid. Uni applications are stressful and frustrating for many :frown:

Small note though, unis don't process applications in any particular order. Just because other have received offers before you doesn't mean that you've been rejected. Unis may divide their applications into early applications, equal consideration applications and late applications, but they will send out offers in small randomized batches within these groups. Also, any offers made during this time do not fill up seats, so there's no need to worry about there not being any places by the time May rolls around :biggrin: Also, though the deadline for unis to make decisions is 18 May, most unis will make the majority of their offers before that.

Which unis did you apply to, and for what course?

If you're unable to make it to an offer holder day, maybe you could book onto a campus tour instead? You'd still be able to have a look around the uni and ask questions about what it's like. Some unis also keep an archive of virtual open days that you may find useful too. (Of course, this isn't the case for every uni.)

Best of luck to you! :smile:

Thank you for your reply. But I have actually been told by a uni that they have sent out offers to the people with the highest predicted grades first, and will now work down the list.

And the point about the offer holder days stopping too soon is real - whatever order they assess applications in, it’s unfair that they stop the offer holder days before they have even finished making offers. I think that everyone who applies before the ‘equal consideration’ deadline should also be given equal opportunity to attend any offer holder/preparation/etc events.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Trinculo
Where do you want to go to university and what s it that you are hoping to be reading?

Hi, as an example - one RG’s last Offer Holder Day is 1 April. However, their blanket email is that they are working hard to respond to applications and will do this by Mid May. It seems unfair that, through no fault of their own, people will not be given the opportunity to attend an offer holder day even if they submitted their application by the January deadline. To me, it would be more logical and fair to run these days until the students’ June deadline. I always assumed these days were to give students a taster and a chance to get to know the department, but maybe they are just a marketing opportunity to attract the A* students.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Xevud
Thank you for your reply. But I have actually been told by a uni that they have sent out offers to the people with the highest predicted grades first, and will now work down the list.

And the point about the offer holder days stopping too soon is real - whatever order they assess applications in, it’s unfair that they stop the offer holder days before they have even finished making offers. I think that everyone who applies before the ‘equal consideration’ deadline should also be given equal opportunity to attend any offer holder/preparation/etc events.

I think the general unspoken rule is that the vast majority of offers will be made by the time the last few offer holder days roll around, so that candidates can visit the uni. I know it’s really frustrating, but admissions is extremely busy right now, and are flooded with hundreds of thousands of applications :frown: Also, some unis hold subject-specific offer holder days, so it’s possible that your uni may structure it that way too. In that case, every applicant wouldn’t get an offer before the deadline.
Original post by Xevud
Hi, as an example - the last Exeter Offer Holder Day is 1 April. However, their blanket email is that they are working hard to respond to applications and will do this by Mid May. It seems unfair that, through no fault of their own, people will not be given the opportunity to attend an offer holder day even if they submitted their application by the January deadline. To me, it would be more logical to run these days until the students’ June deadline.

Universities make offers at different times depending on the subject. They have to give equal consideration to all who apply by the deadline in January. That is fairness to everybody. Some universities dont look at applications until after that date/ Some make offers or rejections to applicants who obviously are the best candidates or clearly are going to be rejected. The others are compared against all applications received by the equal opportunities deadline.

Universities receive many times more applicants than they have places and will work through these giving the best places and the weakest will be rejected if the course is oversubscribed. This can take months due to the numbers involved and offers/rejections are released all the time.

Exeter like many other universities make contextual offers. These are lower offers than the other students and are offered to students in low performing schools or where the post code is in an area where progression to university is low. These students are offered 2 grades lower eg AAB instead of A*AA. You could argue that contextual offers are advantaged not disadvataged. Rich students have to wait not just poor and this is done to give everyone the same chance.

As far as visit days are concerned if you miss them contact a university. Most will welcome you and have someone to see you outside of formal visit days.
Original post by Xevud
Hi, as an example - the last Exeter Offer Holder Day is 1 April. However, their blanket email is that they are working hard to respond to applications and will do this by Mid May. It seems unfair that, through no fault of their own, people will not be given the opportunity to attend an offer holder day even if they submitted their application by the January deadline. To me, it would be more logical to run these days until the students’ June deadline.

Counter-example: KCL’s statement on their website says that they aim to make all offers by May, but they’ve already given around 20,000 offers in total from what I know. Unis give a broad estimate so that some kid doesn’t make a fuss about not getting the offer by the date mentioned. In reality, most offers should be made a few weeks before then :smile:
Thank you for your replies to my rant, I t’s an interesting discussion. I’d just like to add that every single university staff member I have spoken to has been fantastic.
The “decisions by mid May” message is to stop emails coming through asking when a decision will be made. Every email received and answered takes time away from making decisions so minimising repeat enquiries about timescales is an easy win.

Universities still work towards the unofficial deadline of 31 March to make on time decisions (usually much quicker).
Which course are you applying for and at which universities?
Original post by ajj2000
Which course are you applying for and at which universities?

Law and business
Original post by Xevud

The reality is very few offers go out in May, the overwhelming majority of candidates get their offers in advance.

As to the system being unfair; yes its not perfect... their are systems in place to make the process fairer and more equitable; particularly for students who attend poor performing schools, postcode has traditionally low higher education enrolment, household income & background and parental educational background. It's not perfect but it does level the field to some degree.

Their is a misconception that the university name is important. The reality is you will achieve far more focusing on what opportunities you have and what you want to achieve. Once you turn 18, your destiny will be fully in your hands.

And TBH I think the system is the fairest it's ever been; i've seen lots of people from incredibly hard socioeconomic & life circumstances achieve amazing things. More people from the care system are going onto university then ever before, more people from poor schools are heading to Oxbridge & prestigious unis - normally the traits they demonstrate are grit, focus and an unrelenting attitude of progress.
Original post by Xevud
Law and business

If you are applying for the Law and Business course at Exeter that course is run at Penryn. Due to its remote location and small size this tends to not have a massive take up. If you meet the grade you will likely get an offer. If you are applyong to Law LLB at Exeter that is more competitive

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending