The Student Room Group

Are these GCSEs good enough for LSE?

I achieved 999988765 today with the 5 being in Foundation Maths, LSE states that a minimum 6 in Maths is required. Would the 5 prevent me from having a successful application into Politics and IR?

For context, I attended a mid-low performing state school where the average grade is roughly around a 4.5.
Reply 1
Original post by detectable-dress
I achieved 999988765 today with the 5 being in Foundation Maths, LSE states that a minimum 6 in Maths is required. Would the 5 prevent me from having a successful application into Politics and IR?

For context, I attended a mid-low performing state school where the average grade is roughly around a 4.5.

First of all, congrats for those grades. You could attend the LSE summer school program which will allow you to be enrolled with lower grades or you may have to re-do maths but at a higher level to get a 6/7.
Original post by IscoM.
First of all, congrats for those grades. You could attend the LSE summer school program which will allow you to be enrolled with lower grades or you may have to re-do maths but at a higher level to get a 6/7.

Thank you! I definitely do not want to resit Maths. I've never heard of the summer school program, but it appears to be more geared to international/postgrad applicants as it has no mention of the UCAS/A Level process on its application website? Do domestic applicants typically get lower offers through it?

Note that if they state a minimum of a 6 is required in maths this will normally be a hard requirement and you would typically be automatically rejected without it. Usually English language/maths GCSE requirements are firm conditions set by unis.

You should aim to retake maths if needed.
Original post by artful_lounger
Note that if they state a minimum of a 6 is required in maths this will normally be a hard requirement and you would typically be automatically rejected without it. Usually English language/maths GCSE requirements are firm conditions set by unis.

You should aim to retake maths if needed.

Oh, I see. So even if I were to apply without retaking would there really be no chance at all despite other grades being good?
Oh, I see. So even if I were to apply without retaking would there really be no chance at all despite other grades being good?

Yes, and the same would apply for any uni asking for a 6 or above in GCSE Maths usually. Generally unis are very inflexible about those specific kinds of GCSE requirements as they're considered minimum requirements to succeed on the course (typically because GCSE English language/Maths outcomes are used as a literacy/numeracy metric).
Thank you! I definitely do not want to resit Maths. I've never heard of the summer school program, but it appears to be more geared to international/postgrad applicants as it has no mention of the UCAS/A Level process on its application website? Do domestic applicants typically get lower offers through it?

there will be other schemes at other universities
( think for example at Leeds&Exeter) and worth emailing admissions or ideally having a thorough look at university websites
and Sutton Trust for starters.
You got great grades.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 7

Domestic applicants also get lower offers through it. Best thing to do would be contact the office and ask.

read here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7390265

Quick Reply

Latest