The Student Room Group

How to stay focused whilst studying?

I often procrastinate during revision sessions how can i stay focused like those people who do study with me videos
Reply 1
Time yourself, and do short bursts of say ten minutes. Reward - drink or quick walk. Return and revise the key facts in the last ten minutes. Then restart the clock for another ten minutes. Use TSR revision guides.
What personally works for me is using Pomodoro method videos (check out Peaceful Ambience on YouTube for an example). This is either working for 25 mins with a 5 min break, or (the one I prefer) working for 50 minutes with a 10 minute break. If that seems intimidating then start with 25:5 videos.

During the time, make sure the space you're working in is set up for study. Put your phone on silent and somewhere else, and associate the sounds from the video with a place of work, such as a library. It helps me to almost 'gamify' study. There are also study apps you can get from your phone which will start a timer, and that app has to stay active for it to work. So that could be a solution if you find yourself reaching for your phone.

I think your main challenge though will be to address why it is you're procrastinating in the first place. Are you not enjoying the work, and if not is there a way you can approach it in a more engaging way? If it seems like a daunting task (if you're telling yourself you'd have to sit down and do a massive amount of work at once), then break it down into manageable chunks, and/or set a timer for 5 minutes. You'll manage that no problem, which will be a motivation boost and you can begin extending the duration of your distraction-free study sessions.

Personally speaking, a rewards system doesn't work for me, because then I'm just focused on the reward and not the study itself. That can sometimes cause me to bypass the study altogether, get the 'reward' and then I just feel bad and I'm no further along in my studies! I think focusing on making the most of the study so you enjoy it, whether through using nice stationery, having a nice chilled out video in the background, lighting a candle, etc. is more effective, at least for me. :smile: I hope this helps.
Original post by EarlyGrey
What personally works for me is using Pomodoro method videos (check out Peaceful Ambience on YouTube for an example). This is either working for 25 mins with a 5 min break, or (the one I prefer) working for 50 minutes with a 10 minute break. If that seems intimidating then start with 25:5 videos.

During the time, make sure the space you're working in is set up for study. Put your phone on silent and somewhere else, and associate the sounds from the video with a place of work, such as a library. It helps me to almost 'gamify' study. There are also study apps you can get from your phone which will start a timer, and that app has to stay active for it to work. So that could be a solution if you find yourself reaching for your phone.

I think your main challenge though will be to address why it is you're procrastinating in the first place. Are you not enjoying the work, and if not is there a way you can approach it in a more engaging way? If it seems like a daunting task (if you're telling yourself you'd have to sit down and do a massive amount of work at once), then break it down into manageable chunks, and/or set a timer for 5 minutes. You'll manage that no problem, which will be a motivation boost and you can begin extending the duration of your distraction-free study sessions.

Personally speaking, a rewards system doesn't work for me, because then I'm just focused on the reward and not the study itself. That can sometimes cause me to bypass the study altogether, get the 'reward' and then I just feel bad and I'm no further along in my studies! I think focusing on making the most of the study so you enjoy it, whether through using nice stationery, having a nice chilled out video in the background, lighting a candle, etc. is more effective, at least for me. :smile: I hope this helps.

My problem is with pomodoro sometimes I'll be in a flow and then once the timer hits I stop working and my flow is gone
I use the Forest app, you can put it on deep focus mode so your tree will die if you click off the app. I think there are other apps equivalent of this like Flora. Doesn't work for all people but it does really help me along with eliminating other distractions in your study space, and I also really like the fact I can track how long I've revised for and which subjects.
Original post by Rohan007best
My problem is with pomodoro sometimes I'll be in a flow and then once the timer hits I stop working and my flow is gone

Ah I can see how that could be annoying. I try and plan my breaks to do something that gives my brain a 'break', but is still productive (so I still feel in my flow, if that makes sense!). E.g. make a cup of tea or some other drink, put my laundry on, feed the birds, put recycling out, bring some firewood in, do the dishes, etcetera.

That's why I do prefer the 50:10 though, because 5 minutes just isn't enough time for me to do most of those things!
Original post by EarlyGrey
Ah I can see how that could be annoying. I try and plan my breaks to do something that gives my brain a 'break', but is still productive (so I still feel in my flow, if that makes sense!). E.g. make a cup of tea or some other drink, put my laundry on, feed the birds, put recycling out, bring some firewood in, do the dishes, etcetera.

That's why I do prefer the 50:10 though, because 5 minutes just isn't enough time for me to do most of those things!

So do u like set a timer for 50mins? I'm personally thinking I revise one lesson in a topic then take a five minute break then another lesson and a 5 min break etc until I finish the topic wdyt?
Original post by Rohan007best
So do u like set a timer for 50mins? I'm personally thinking I revise one lesson in a topic then take a five minute break then another lesson and a 5 min break etc until I finish the topic wdyt?

I use youtube videos that have built in timers, so I don't need to physically start a timer for each session. But you can definitely set your own timer if you prefer. The changing background music/ sounds prompt me instead, like this one. :smile: Peaceful Ambience, Merve and The Sherry Formula are some of my favourite channels to use.

One thing to be mindful of is that each lesson for you might take a variable amount of time to study, but you won't know until you try. Give it a whirl and see how you get on!
Reply 8
I haven’t fully cracked it yet; procrastination is an evil beast. A few ideas: revise the most difficult topics when you’re freshest; set breaks and rewards at regular (but sensible) intervals; imagine how you’ll feel when the revision is over and has all paid off; let the pressure of the impending exams focus your mind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending