The Student Room Group

Would it be wise to take another A level, then reap/transfer to more comp university?

In a matter of sorts I was pressured to drop A-level maths following some catastrophic 2nd to last year results. I didn’t take the resit amidst a breakdown following a summer of bashing all the content (Y1).

I was advised to drop it - and so I did, and replaced it with one of my languages and AS maths module. Having received atm 3/5 uni offers which I’m pleased with, I can’t help but think that I should’ve been tougher.

Now, whilst also taking AS maths, I’ve discovered that the environment plays a huge part. I’ve gone though the whole course (Y1), purchased the Y2 textbook and can’t help but think that I am in fact capable.

Would there be a point (is it even possible?) in taking a full maths A level + maybe further maths - to then try give another shot at re-applying/ transferring to my dream uni + courses, (St. Andrews econ / LSE econ)

otherwise, I met the grade requirements for St Andrews (A*A*A+A(AS)), but my best guess is that students with maths were selected as better candidates.

Also taking a gap year is also not an option as 1) even explaining the idea of a gap year to my Russian parents made them chuckle 2) Difficulty with applying for visas + conscription (I have to go to some university)

(Side note: I am still somewhat a clueless teen, so any relevant factors/ personal experiences are all very appreciated, I do understand there may be fundamental misunderstanding in some re-application processes)

Thank you.
Original post by AG1414
In a matter of sorts I was pressured to drop A-level maths following some catastrophic 2nd to last year results. I didn’t take the resit amidst a breakdown following a summer of bashing all the content (Y1).

I was advised to drop it - and so I did, and replaced it with one of my languages and AS maths module. Having received atm 3/5 uni offers which I’m pleased with, I can’t help but think that I should’ve been tougher.

Now, whilst also taking AS maths, I’ve discovered that the environment plays a huge part. I’ve gone though the whole course (Y1), purchased the Y2 textbook and can’t help but think that I am in fact capable.

Would there be a point (is it even possible?) in taking a full maths A level + maybe further maths - to then try give another shot at re-applying/ transferring to my dream uni + courses, (St. Andrews econ / LSE econ)

otherwise, I met the grade requirements for St Andrews (A*A*A+A(AS)), but my best guess is that students with maths were selected as better candidates.

Also taking a gap year is also not an option as 1) even explaining the idea of a gap year to my Russian parents made them chuckle 2) Difficulty with applying for visas + conscription (I have to go to some university)

(Side note: I am still somewhat a clueless teen, so any relevant factors/ personal experiences are all very appreciated, I do understand there may be fundamental misunderstanding in some re-application processes)

Thank you.

A level maths is really hard! If it already led to a breakdown perhaps you should focus on a route you are more likely to enjoy and thus prosper in. Have you considered a foundation year? Many of the top universities offer this to students who didn’t take maths but would like to study the sciences.
Original post by AG1414

Thank you.

A level Maths is required for certain subjects at university. Other than that it wont be of help. You dont say which subject you have applied for but for things like Engineering, Computer Science and Economics it will be necessary for universities like Imperial, LSE and probably St Andrews. Other subjects such as Law and History it wont matter.

The universities you refer to have high numbers of applications and many students with excellent grades get rejected.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending