The Student Room Group

Kings College London offers

If you do Kplus I was in the law stream does it mean you have a higher chance in getting an offer?
Original post by ttharmika._
If you do Kplus I was in the law stream does it mean you have a higher chance in getting an offer?

No, it means that if you receive an offer, it "may be up to two A-Level grades (or equivalent) lower than the advertised entry requirements found on the course pages." (Whether or not the "two A-Level grades" reduction applies varies from course to course; it does apply to Law LLB.)
Original post by DataVenia
No, it means that if you receive an offer, it "may be up to two A-Level grades (or equivalent) lower than the advertised entry requirements found on the course pages." (Whether or not the "two A-Level grades" reduction applies varies from course to course; it does apply to Law LLB.)

I believe that if they’ve done a course such as “KPlus” then they’re likely going to receive more consideration as it places them into the Widening Access category where they are legible for an enhanced contextual offer. Also, I’ve noticed and seen many responses where people who have done similar programmes and have gotten contextual offers, they were allowed in with LNAT scores of 16 even.

Overall, I believe that they will be in a more secure position because of their situation, but will obviously have to have provided a substantial application etc
Original post by DystopianArena
I believe that if they’ve done a course such as “KPlus” then they’re likely going to receive more consideration as it places them into the Widening Access category where they are legible for an enhanced contextual offer. Also, I’ve noticed and seen many responses where people who have done similar programmes and have gotten contextual offers, they were allowed in with LNAT scores of 16 even.

Overall, I believe that they will be in a more secure position because of their situation, but will obviously have to have provided a substantial application etc

Getting a contextual offer - i..e a reduced grade requirement (which KPlus does provide) - is not the same thing as "a higher chance in getting an offer", which is what OP asked. It simply means that if they are fortunate enough to received an offer, then that offer will be lower that it might otherwise have been. It's similar to a lottery rollover. The fact that the prize fund is larger does not increase your chance of getting whatever combination of numbers is required to win the jackpot. It simply means that if you win, you win more (if we ignore the fact that there will likely have been more entrants!).

Also, KPlus does not mean that they will receive "more consideration". Check Kings' contextual admissions page here. It has a heading entitled "Eligibility criteria for contextual offers" which says, "Contextual offers may be up to two A-Level grades (or equivalent) lower than the advertised entry requirements found on the course pages." and lists successful completion of KPlus as one of the criteria which would allow a candidate to be considered for a contextual offer.

There is the a separate section entitled "Eligibility criteria for additional consideration", which talks about the fact that "Additional consideration is given to applications from students who may have experienced barriers that have impeded their academic progress." KPlus is not listed with the eligibility criteria here.

At King's (and perhaps elsewhere, I don't know) the concept of a contextual offer is not synonymous with the concept of additional consideration.

Suppose, for example, that OP has presented achieved grades of A*AA for Law LLB. The fact that they have completed KPlus is irrelevant to the likelihood of an offer, as the reduced grade requirement within the contextual offer has no impact, as they've achieved the standard offer grades anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending