The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Pathway vs Discover Bath

I've applied for both courses and I've received a position for Pathway but the Discover Bath applications finish processing at the end of March.

I was just wondering if there is a large enough difference in the courses to make it worth the risk waiting for Discover Bath instead.

Hoping to use the summer school to improve my PS.
Good Morning!

I’m sorry to see you have not received a reply to your post yet we are really pleased you’re interested in Bath University and many congrats on your offer of a place on Pathways!

In essence the programmes both have a similar aim, to allow students to develop skills for university,

In terms of other similarities, both offer a summer school, so this will be really valuable for you in allowing you to experience Bath University’s accommodation and being fully immersed in University life. As both summer schools are supported by our current Student Ambassadors, you will also get the chance to ask them lots of questions about what studying at Bath is like, the town centre, and the general student experience. Hopefully this will allow you to answer questions for yourself such as 'can I see myself here?', 'do I like the ‘feel’ of Bath?'

Both offer subject streams in Science, Engineering, Social Sciences and Business/Business and Management, aligned with our 4 main faculties; and both both offer you the chance to get involved with undergraduate-style work (e.g. a project, research skills, lab sessions) and to go to workshops to hone some key university skills. This will give you some really valuable experience to talk about in your personal statement whichever programme you choose.

The main difference is that Pathways to Bath is a long-term programme spanning from Feb Dec 2023, in which you will have the opportunity to complete an independent research project, supported by academic tutors and supplemented by regular online and live workshops. You will as part of this have the chance to come to a fun summer school for 3 days. The workshops after this move to focus on applying for university, such as 1-2-1 personal statement support, and sessions on learning what makes a competitive application to Bath. In this way Pathways may give you the chance to become familiar with Bath and develop relationships with your academic tutors and peers on the programme over a longer period of time.

If you want to find out a little bit more about the programmes from the student perspective, please take a look at this blog post by Jasmine, who completed Pathways before successfully applying to Bath:

https://blogs.bath.ac.uk/students/2020/11/05/pathway-to-bath-one-of-the-best-decisions-ive-made/

If you would like to find out a little more about Discover, then please see Anand’s blog:

https://blogs.bath.ac.uk/students/2021/01/13/discover-bath-why-i-ended-up-choosing-bath/

In fact, Anand is still at the University and is currently on UniBuddy, and so if you wanted to chat to him about his Discover Bath experience or any other aspect of student life, then you can take a look here and scroll down our student list to find him:
https://rb.gy/hfaqq6

Good luck! 😊

Holly
University of Bath
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by Anonymous
I've applied for both courses and I've received a position for Pathway but the Discover Bath applications finish processing at the end of March.

I was just wondering if there is a large enough difference in the courses to make it worth the risk waiting for Discover Bath instead.

Hoping to use the summer school to improve my PS.

Which one did u end up choosing or are u doing both?

Quick Reply

Latest