The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Human Sciences 2023

Havent really heard of anyone else who applied to this course, and most discussion of it is centered around oxford, despite the exeter humsci course frankly looking better. Was wondering if there were any other human science applicants who got offers from Exeter, and what made people interested in human sciences.
Reply 1
Any update from this year?
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by liangwenli
Any update from this year?

Hi Liangwenli,

I'm a current PhD student at the University of Exeter's Penryn Campus studying evolutionary biology. I also did my Masters and undergraduate degree here in Zoology, which has some overlap with modules from the Human Sciences programme. Did you have any specific questions concerning what the course and department is like?

Kingsley
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Reply 3
Original post by ExeterStudentRep
Hi Liangwenli,

I'm a current PhD student at the University of Exeter's Penryn Campus studying evolutionary biology. I also did my Masters and undergraduate degree here in Zoology, which has some overlap with modules from the Human Sciences programme. Did you have any specific questions concerning what the course and department is like?

Kingsley

Hi Kingsley,

Is there field work involved in some modules of the course?
Original post by lilorain
Hi Kingsley,

Is there field work involved in some modules of the course?

Hi Lilorain,

There's definitely a significant emphasis on fieldwork and practical skills throughout the degree. This includes both lab and field practicals as part of different modules. So for example, in the 2nd year Development of Behaviour module, there is a current lab practical that involves experiments to study the transmission dynamics of social learning and cultural evolution. In third year, there is also currently a bespoke field course to Kenya for Human Sciences students which focuses on field skills. You can see more of the course structure here, and this website also includes a specific section discussing fieldwork options here

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Kingsley

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending