The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Start your undergrad degree first before you think about postgrad would be my advice :smile:
Reply 2
Do you actually want to go into journalism (as a profession)?
Reply 3
River85
Do you actually want to go into journalism (as a profession)?

Yes, as a journalist or critic. Mostly I want to write, whatever form that comes in but journalism makes sense since I'm mostly clued in to and interested in what's happening in the world :wink:
Reply 4
Depends entirely on your undergraduate degree, and I wouldn't personally look into postgraduate English with an undergraduate vocational Journalism degree as its going to be pretty useless. If you've been taught for 3years to write in basic and understandable English (what news journalism is all about, right?) to go and do a postgraduate in English seems strange to me unless you don't wan't to be a journalist and are interested in academia.

To be a journalist you don't really need a masters if you're taking a vocational undergraduate degree thats accredited by NCTJ (as much as I think these degrees are a waste of time) as with enough experience you should in theory be able to walk into a local paper.

If your doing a theory based degree (while ofcourse participating thoroughly in student media while at university) a local paper might take you on after your undergraduate and pay for you to take a short course with NCTJ, or if not you could always do a 1year MA/Pgdip.
is it possible to take an undergrad journalism and then Politics/International relations as a post graduate ?

Latest

Trending

Trending