The Student Room Group

Is it Haram to do this?

Okay so basically , I'm a man in my early 20s and I consider myself as a muslim but not a strict muslim at all. I do the basics (pray 5x a day,fast,give charity and try to be a good person) but to be honest, thats basically it. I go to partys,have opposite sex friends and do alot of stuff that is considered haram.

Now Im not a good muslim by any degree but at the very least , i try to keep my faith and ask god to help guide me and also the religion helps me to be very grateful for all the little things that I have been blessed with and to always be happy even if you have little.

Now the problem with my faith is that I'm fed up with having fellow Muslims act like they are superior humans because they follow the religion more than I do.

I have done an honest self-assessment and I have come to the conclusion that strict judgmental muslims have pushed me further away from the religion , then closer to it. People telling me that im a horrible person because i don't follow the religion perfectly is just pushing me further away because I just feel that I will never be good enough so why bother even practising it in the first place?

So basically I wanna ask if it is haram to avoid strict muslim friends and just to practise and discuss religion by myself, as thats when I feel the closest to god and feel less judged.
I don’t think that’s haram at all.
Original post by GalactusPrime250
Okay so basically , I'm a man in my early 20s and I consider myself as a muslim but not a strict muslim at all. I do the basics (pray 5x a day,fast,give charity and try to be a good person) but to be honest, thats basically it. I go to partys,have opposite sex friends and do alot of stuff that is considered haram.

Now Im not a good muslim by any degree but at the very least , i try to keep my faith and ask god to help guide me and also the religion helps me to be very grateful for all the little things that I have been blessed with and to always be happy even if you have little.

Now the problem with my faith is that I'm fed up with having fellow Muslims act like they are superior humans because they follow the religion more than I do.

I have done an honest self-assessment and I have come to the conclusion that strict judgmental muslims have pushed me further away from the religion , then closer to it. People telling me that im a horrible person because i don't follow the religion perfectly is just pushing me further away because I just feel that I will never be good enough so why bother even practising it in the first place?

So basically I wanna ask if it is haram to avoid strict muslim friends and just to practise and discuss religion by myself, as thats when I feel the closest to god and feel less judged.

You should not relate with negative people. However, you should consider what they have told you and reflect whether they are right. The truth can hurt sometimes.
Original post by Wired_1800
You should not relate with negative people. However, you should consider what they have told you and reflect whether they are right. The truth can hurt sometimes.

Have you ever considered that every person has different levels of desires? if i have a extreme desire to listen to music and unfortunatly , I currently don't have the willpower to not listen to it due to religion, Am I now a bad person? because Im not sure about you but i defiantly didn't get a choice when I born on how much willpower and dedication I would have.
Have you ever considered that every person has different levels of desires? if i have a extreme desire to listen to music and unfortunatly , I currently don't have the willpower to not listen to it due to religion, Am I now a bad person? because Im not sure about you but i defiantly didn't get a choice when I born on how much willpower and dedication I would have.

This might be better off in religion (not faith and spirituality), because threads like these often descend into Islamophobes v. Salafis, with no useful middle ground.
Original post by Reality Check
This might be better off in religion (not faith and spirituality), because threads like these often descend into Islamophobes v. Salafis, with no useful middle ground.

Yeah In hindsight , that would have been smarter because I can see this thread becoming a "anti-muslim and ex-muslim vs muslim" thread. thanks man.
Yeah In hindsight , that would have been smarter because I can see this thread becoming a "anti-muslim and ex-muslim vs muslim" thread. thanks man.

Yes, exactly - no problem :smile: I've requested the mods to move your thread for you.

If you lack dedication and willpower then don't follow a religion that requires dedication and willpower.
Original post by Wired_1800
If you lack dedication and willpower then don't follow a religion that requires dedication and willpower.

by this logic , 98% of muslims should leave the religion as the vast majority don't have the willpower to follow everything in the religion. this reply lacks major critical thinking.
by this logic , 98% of muslims should leave the religion as the vast majority don't have the willpower to follow everything in the religion. this reply lacks major critical thinking.

Ok
Nah, what you're doing is totally fine and allowed and halal. Ditch those self righteous friends who want you to be trapped in the same ideological prison they are. They can't stand seeing someone who's more free and liberated.
No. :smile:

You are not obligated to make friends with people who bombard you with constant criticisms and unsolicited advice- dumping all their own negativity into your life.
Nor listen to their preachings or any attempts to play God by sitting in judgement of the faith/thoughts/intentions/fates of other people.

Remember that life is too short to waste your valuable time and emotion on those that don't deserve any of either.
Good luck!
Reply 12

Yes that’s haram.

“O believers! Do not take disbelievers as allies instead of the believers. Would you like to give Allah solid proof against yourselves?“

I’m not at all a strict Muslim myself but I’d still like to tell you the truth

If you avoid Muslims and stick with non Muslims then you’re non Muslim

“And whoever has friendship with them, he is one of them.” (5:51)

Ask yourself why you’re Muslim in the first place. Is it to please the community and so people can like you or is it to worship your lord and enter jannah? Don’t let the shaitan trick you.

And if you hate that the Muslims hate what you do, then stop doing it. I’m not gonna act like I’m better than you, because I’m probably not. I sin too. But I don’t like to sin. And I keep my sins private, between me and Allah.

The Muslims that you “hate,“ that are advising you to give up your sinful lifestyle are your true friends. So if you’re Muslim and love god then realize that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending