The Student Room Group

Muslims and SFE

Salamu Alaikum all,

So I entered university in 2020 and took the loan for sfe as I didn’t think it was Haram to be honest. Everyone at school and the really religious Muslims did, and I had no idea what riba was at that stage but Alhdamdilah I am more religious this year. I come from a poor family and I have two years left of university until I become Medically qualified. I’ve spoke to a sheikh about taking tuition fees this year as I have no other means to pay and if I don’t pay I can be expelled from university with no degree after already wasting three years. The sheik said i can take the tution fee if in urgent need. I was planning to not take maintenance loans but even with my household income buying clothes, groceries, travel is not easy. I thought maybe I should take the maximum loan too, but leave it in my card and use for emergencies. For example my laptop broke last year and my phone was stolen and without maintenance loan, I wouldn’t have managed to recover that. I have a job nhs related but it doesn’t pay enough. I have a hardship bursary too but it comes later in the year and I’m grateful for it but it isn’t substantial.

Scroll to see replies

Don’t worry about it, the loan is fine and virtually no one in this country could afford to pay uni themselves. And you obviously need a degree to become a doctor so you shouldn’t potentially ruin your future by dropping out due to some extremists who say any kind of loan is forbidden. SFE is necessary for pretty much everyone.
Reply 2
I appreciate the responses but please only respond with an Islamic perspective, i directed the question to MUSLIMS.
Counter-intuitively the more loan you take out the higher the chance that you will not repay the loan in full (or if you do will not repay the commercial interest charged on the loan).

If you started in 2020 and take out the full tuition and maintenance loans then you are unlikely to repay in full if your salary immediately after graduation is below £40k - most people don’t repay.
Original post by Catlova67
Salamu Alaikum all,

So I entered university in 2020 and took the loan for sfe as I didn’t think it was Haram to be honest. Everyone at school and the really religious Muslims did, and I had no idea what riba was at that stage but Alhdamdilah I am more religious this year. I come from a poor family and I have two years left of university until I become Medically qualified. I’ve spoke to a sheikh about taking tuition fees this year as I have no other means to pay and if I don’t pay I can be expelled from university with no degree after already wasting three years. The sheik said i can take the tution fee if in urgent need. I was planning to not take maintenance loans but even with my household income buying clothes, groceries, travel is not easy. I thought maybe I should take the maximum loan too, but leave it in my card and use for emergencies. For example my laptop broke last year and my phone was stolen and without maintenance loan, I wouldn’t have managed to recover that. I have a job nhs related but it doesn’t pay enough. I have a hardship bursary too but it comes later in the year and I’m grateful for it but it isn’t substantial.

For tuition based fees and the maintenance loan that supports like cost of living accommodation, as well as the money to which it can be spent on food and drink the loan is perfectly fine to take you would have to earn a exceptional amount going above the threshold in order to then therefore pay it back.
Original post by Mohammed_80
For tuition based fees and the maintenance loan that supports like cost of living accommodation, as well as the money to which it can be spent on food and drink the loan is perfectly fine to take you would have to earn a exceptional amount going above the threshold in order to then therefore pay it back.

Don’t you start paying it back once you begin earning over £21k or something similar?
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Don’t you start paying it back once you begin earning over £21k or something similar?

I think it’s £27,000 over more
Original post by Mohammed_80
I think it’s £27,000 over more

That’s not a very high salary, most people should be earning that or close to it by their mid 20s.
Reply 8
Don’t worry about it, the loan is fine and virtually no one in this country could afford to pay uni themselves. And you obviously need a degree to become a doctor so you shouldn’t potentially ruin your future by dropping out due to some extremists who say any kind of loan is forbidden. SFE is necessary for pretty much everyone.

You giving out fatwas now? Please don’t give out advice that isn’t backed up by Islamic evidence.

otherwise this is just your own thoughts, unless you are our god, we don’t follow your teachings
Original post by Mollyfwwes
You giving out fatwas now? Please don’t give out advice that isn’t backed up by Islamic evidence.

otherwise this is just your own thoughts, unless you are our god, we don’t follow your teachings

Yes, I am giving out a fatwa, problem? And I see, you’ve been banned which means you’re precisely one of the extremist trolls I was talking about. I stand by what I said: the loan’s fine. What are you expecting, that Muslims not go to uni and end up in dead end, unskilled jobs their whole lives? That’s really what your god wants for you? Grow up and realise that a degree is pretty much essential to do well and that most people need SFE to do one.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 10
I am not a scholar or sheikh so I am not really qualified to give out any fatwa or rulings. But I have to agree with what has been said so far. Yes, interest is haram, but tuition loans and maintenance loans are taken out of necessity as most people don't really have any other suitable choice. If you DO have the income, and the flexibility to avoid taking out these loans, don't find excuses to take them out. Interest is still interest, regardless of the way you phrase it, and if you can avoid committing sin then you should.
Reply 11
I’m starting uni this year and i think it’s fine to take out a loan. Unlike normal bank loans, student loans are only paid back if u make money above a certain threshold. I think it’s changing this year but it’s around 20k annually. If you don’t make that much you don’t have to pay it back - and it gets cleared after 30 years. Normal bank loans have also have interest, but they need to paid back no matter how much u make and they wont get cleared until after death (and even then only personal loans are cleared, not joint ones). Therefore I don’t think going to uni is haram - most people in the uk can’t afford to pay it off fully themselves so the opportunity has been given to us in order to help us. Education is valued in Islam so just go for it. Even if there is interest, paying it back isn’t guaranteed so you won’t always get sin for it.
Reply 12
Yes, I am giving out a fatwa, problem? And I see, you’ve been banned which means you’re precisely one of the extremist trolls I was talking about. I stand by what I said: the loan’s fine. What are you expecting, that Muslims not go to uni and end up in dead end, unskilled jobs their whole lives? That’s really what your god wants for you? Grow up and realise that a degree is pretty much essential to do well and that most people need SFE to do one.

I agree with the logic behind the take but not the attitude bud. I'll be honest, it's giving discord therapist vibes. By all means share your thoughts, but don't assert them as if they've been verified if you aren't qualified to impose them.
Original post by Abz3900
I agree with the logic behind the take but not the attitude bud. I'll be honest, it's giving discord therapist vibes. By all means share your thoughts, but don't assert them as if they've been verified if you aren't qualified to impose them.

They have been verified: by logic and common sense.
Reply 14
They have been verified: by logic and common sense.

I'm aware. But you seem to have forgotten that people don't take unsolicited advice from non-professionals, regardless of the field or whether they're merely parroting what the consensus says. I wouldn't take medical advice from someone who isn't a doctor, and neither would I take religious advice from a stranger on the internet. Good day to you.
Original post by Abz3900
I'm aware. But you seem to have forgotten that people don't take unsolicited advice from non-professionals, regardless of the field or whether they're merely parroting what the consensus says. I wouldn't take medical advice from someone who isn't a doctor, and neither would I take religious advice from a stranger on the internet. Good day to you.

I don’t give a fig what you or anyone else does. This is a public thread where people can give their opinion on the matter and the OP is free to take it or leave it. And I have repeated what other Muslims themselves have said on this thread, plus, like I already stated, it’s common sense. Practically no one can afford to pay for uni themselves so taking the loan is absolutely OK and allowed.
Reply 16
Original post by Catlova67
Salamu Alaikum all,

Wa alaikum salaam. I can’t really add much other than to say that it is best to talk about your specific scenario to your sheikh, and if he has said it is fine, then follow his opinion. I’m not sure how many people replying on tsr will have sufficient Islamic knowledge to answer such questions so their opinions may not be very useful. We know that riba is categorically haram so the issue is not so clear cut.
Reply 17
I don’t give a fig what you or anyone else does. This is a public thread where people can give their opinion on the matter and the OP is free to take it or leave it. And I have repeated what other Muslims themselves have said on this thread, plus, like I already stated, it’s common sense. Practically no one can afford to pay for uni themselves so taking the loan is absolutely OK and allowed.

I don't disagree with your take, but you seem intent on superimposing your opinion as a fact. I'm no pedant, but it isn't hard to slap an "in my opinion" on the end of your takes because that's fundamentally what it is. There's a reason I personally stated, that I wasn't qualified to give a solid ruling on the matter, but encouraged using your own common sense and understanding of the religious ruling. That much is expected within Islam: knowing how to extrapolate rulings in unknown contexts.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Abz3900
I don't disagree with your take, but you seem intent on superimposing your opinion as a fact. I'm no pedant, but it isn't hard to slap an "in my opinion" on the end of your takes because that's fundamentally what it is. There's a reason I personally stated, that I wasn't qualified to give a solid ruling on the matter, but encouraged using your own common sense and understanding of the religious ruling. That much is expected within Islam: knowing how to extrapolate rulings in unknown contexts.

I repeat, I can give my opinion which I believe to be fact and the OP is free to accept or leave it, no one is forcing them to take anyone’s word as gospel. Taking the loan is perfectly permissible and OK.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 19
I repeat, I can give my opinion which I believe to be fact and the OP is free to accept or leave it, no one is forcing them to take anyone’s word as gospel.

If you "believe" something to be a fact, then cite your references. Barely takes 10 minutes to learn how to do it, and makes you seem far more credible as a source.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending