The Student Room Group

Why does my junk mail go to my inbox on the outlook app?

My phone gives notifications and every time I get a notification I think it's important but it isn't
Original post by Anony345533
My phone gives notifications and every time I get a notification I think it's important but it isn't

Most likely because your phone (or e-mail provider) doesn't recognise it as junk mail.
Original post by DataVenia
Most likely because your phone (or e-mail provider) doesn't recognise it as junk mail.

So what setting do I change?
So what setting do I change?

What e-mail provider do you use? And what e-mail app?
Original post by DataVenia
What e-mail provider do you use? And what e-mail app?

Outlook app, not sure what you mean by email provider, if you're asking whether it's Gmail, yahoo etc then it's Hotmail/outlook
Outlook app, not sure what you mean by email provider, if you're asking whether it's Gmail, yahoo etc then it's Hotmail/outlook

That is what I meant, yes! Unfortunately, the Outlook app has no support for junk email filtering.

In the Outlook desktop application, you can choose the level of junk email filtering you want:
No Automatic Filtering (although email from senders you've specifically blocked are still sent to the Junk folder)
Low (moves the most junk emails to the Junk folder)
High (most junk e-mail is caught, but some regular e-mail might be accidentally caught too - so you need to check your Junk folder often to check)
Safe List only (you need to specify the senders from which you're happy to accept e-mail)

If you come across junk mail, you can select Junk > Block Sender from the context menu and any future e-mail from that sender will be automatically sent to the Junk folder.

In the Outlook web site (i.e. outlook.com, hotmail.com or live.com), you can choose between the following two levels of junk email filter:

Standard (moves the most junk emails to the Junk folder)
Exclusive (only trusts email from those on your "Safe senders" and "Safe mailing lists" lists)

You can also manually add entries to the "Blocked senders", "Safe senders" and "Safe mailing lists" lists.

In the Outlook app (i.e. on a phone), you can do none of the above. :frown:

The only thing you can really do is press and hold on a piece of junk e-mail and select "Move to spam" from the menu.

I know that's not the answer you wanted to hear.
It's not just you, Outlook.com is having problems with its spam filters right now: https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1627651049057026048
I’d suggest setting up an alternative account specific for junk/spam for anything you may want to use it for such as freebies given in the post, codes or subscriptions you want to make but also immediately cancel.

Do it all the time to keep my main accounts free of junk!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending