The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Sussex, or Essex ?

Hi!
I’m going to study sociology and politics in the UK. I’ve got offers from Essex and Sussex for sociology and politics, yet I can’t decide which university to attend. When I looked up for all the modules they have, both seemed very exciting
As I’m an international student from Japan, I cannot visit there during open days to find out more about those universities including an atmosphere of the school and the town. I’d like to hear about the university and the course from current students or graduates from Sussex or Essex, especially those who majored in sociology and politics.
Choose Sussex, that's where I'm going in September

It's a better University overall and it has a great night life
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by Anonymous
Hi!
I’m going to study sociology and politics in the UK. I’ve got offers from Essex and Sussex for sociology and politics, yet I can’t decide which university to attend. When I looked up for all the modules they have, both seemed very exciting
As I’m an international student from Japan, I cannot visit there during open days to find out more about those universities including an atmosphere of the school and the town. I’d like to hear about the university and the course from current students or graduates from Sussex or Essex, especially those who majored in sociology and politics.

Hey Anonymous,

Have you had a chance to take the virtual tour of campus yet?
https://www1.essex.ac.uk/virtual-tours/colchester/

You would be based at the Colchester campus which has a lot more going on than our other campuses at Southend and Loughton. As we're not located in the city of Colchester itself, just a little bit outside near Wivenhoe, the campus is pretty self-contained. We've got loads of restaurant and cafe options, an onsite theatre and cinema and our very own sub-zero underground club. We're just a 10-15 minute bus ride outside of the city which is scattered with original Roman walls and architecture. The train line from Colchester to London takes just over an hour so we're really close to the capital while still having plenty of green space around.

Brighton is also a really fun environment but Sussex university isn't located near the seafront or the best parts of the city so your nights out would involve a fair bit of commuting and some expensive late night taxis!

The decision is yours and I'm obviously biased towards Essex as I study here :wink: I would advise weighing up other things like the cost of living in each area, how much rent is both on and off campus and that sort of thing, because it does come down to where you see yourself living for the next 3-4 years

Best of luck wherever you choose to go, but let me know if you have any questions about Colchester and the campus. I study biomedical science so I can't say much course-specific about sociology and politics I'm afraid

Best wishes,
Essex Student Rep - Hayley
where do you want to hang out. Brighton or Colchester :smile:
Original post by jimmybonds007
where do you want to hang out. Brighton or Colchester :smile:

Colchester has lots of really fun and interesting place to go to - we even have a castle!

There is lots to do here including theatres, cinemas, bars (some fun and quirky and others with great music and night life), vintage shops, games cafes, restaurants (which are so tasty!) and we're only a 20 minute drive away from the nearest beach!

Colchester if both full of amazing History (being the oldest recorded town in the UK) but thriving with lots to do and a great mix of things for everybody.

Have a look here at more of the great things you can do in and around Colchester: https://www.essex.ac.uk/life/colchester-campus/local-area

We love it here and hope you would too. :smile:

Essex Official Rep - Connar
Reply 5
Sussex.

Its a good Uni for social sciences, and Brighton has lots to do and would be a good choice for an International student.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending