The Student Room Group

Traumatised! Saw a cat get killed this morning!

On the way to work I see a cat run across the road, only to get struck under the wheel of the car in front. I could just see it frantically squirming in pain with blood coming from its mouth. I started panicking in the taxi I was in, yet the driver took no notice; everyone continued as if nothing had happened!

I know these kinds of things happen often and the cat would've died as a result of its extensive injuries or have been put out of its misery if someone had taken it to the vets as an emergency. Yet I can't seem to get the images out of my head of what I saw, and I feel extremely guilty in that I could've done something to help it.

I have 3 cats myself, and this incident just tore my heart!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Me and my partner once witnessed this sort of thing too and we have four cats, so it really shook us up and we both broke our hearts :cry2: we felt guilty, heartbroken, shocked and overall helpless after witnessing that. We went back to the scene 10 mins later since we were on an one way road when it happened so couldn't turn back instantly, to pick the cat up and take it to the vet, although I don't think it would have survived that kind of injury but we wanted to see if the cat had a microchip so we could let the cats owner know but when we went back, the cat was gone so I hope someone took the poor cat to the vet :frown:

It is a very hard thing to witness when you are an animal lover and especially a pet owner and I know its hard to accept that there was nothing you could have done. As hard as it is, try and focus on other things today. I know its hard to get the image out of your head :frown: Spend as much time as you can with your own cats tonight and give them extra cuddles.

I truly am so sorry you had to see this incident and my thoughts are with the cat's humans :frown: :hugs: my inbox is open if you need to talk
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
I saw the same thing with a squirrel :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My friends cat loved playing with his clothes washing line tied to the garden fence.

Then he came home and found it had got tangled up with it and had hung itself.

Unfortunately, cats will be cats.

It's traumatic for sure and I still shudder when I think of the cat I ran over when it darted under my car. I noticed it went into a front garden, so I parked up and knocked on the door and her owner appeared. She was distraught so I offered to take them both to the vets. Nothing could be done except euthanasia - I even paid the bill though it was not my fault. :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by Jin3011
On the way to work I see a cat run across the road, only to get struck under the wheel of the car in front. I could just see it frantically squirming in pain with blood coming from its mouth. I started panicking in the taxi I was in, yet the driver took no notice; everyone continued as if nothing had happened!

I know these kinds of things happen often and the cat would've died as a result of its extensive injuries or have been put out of its misery if someone had taken it to the vets as an emergency. Yet I can't seem to get the images out of my head of what I saw, and I feel extremely guilty in that I could've done something to help it.

Well, this kinda ruined my day...
Reply 5
Original post by Spock's Socks
Me and my partner once witnessed this sort of thing too and we have four cats, so it really shook us up and we both broke our hearts :cry2: we felt guilty, heartbroken, shocked and overall helpless after witnessing that. We went back to the scene 10 mins later since we were on an one way road when it happened so couldn't turn back instantly, to pick the cat up and take it to the vet, although I don't think it would have survived that kind of injury but we wanted to see if the cat had a microchip so we could let the cats owner know but when we went back, the cat was gone so I hope someone took the poor cat to the vet :frown:

It is a very hard thing to witness when you are an animal lover and especially a pet owner and I know its hard to accept that there was nothing you could have done. As hard as it is, try and focus on other things today. I know its hard to get the image out of your head :frown: Spend as much time as you can with your own cats tonight and give them extra cuddles.

I truly am so sorry you had to see this incident and my thoughts are with the cat's humans :frown: :hugs: my inbox is open if you need to talk

Thank you for this. Thankfully I have a conference in my hometown tomorrow so I'm going to spoil my little mittens with their favourite snacks!
I'm sorry you saw something so traumatic.
Even the thought will disturb my sleep, never mind seeing it!!!
Hopefully the suffering was over quick
A similar thing happened to mine a few years ago. Fortunately for her she died in seconds and didn't suffer. I got to bring her home and bury her.
And the boy racing idiot that did it, driving at 50 through a very small family estate may or may not have noticed lots of scratches on his car a few days later. How they got there ive no idea!!
Reply 7
Original post by Jin3011

:console:

I saw a cat killed a couple of years ago, took everything I had not to crack up as I love cats. And, I'm afraid to say, I was in the car once when my dad ran one over... he, like my mum and me, is a big cat lover, and he was inconsolable for ages afterward.

:sad: :cry2:
It has 8 more lives, relax
Yeah my cat died by being run over although it was a head injury so I assume he died a quick death. Really sad about that and it was almost a year ago but I've pretty much gotten over it now. A few years before, there was this cat that used to visit me at the bus stop but one morning I saw some guy throw it into a :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:ing dog :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: bin. If I wasn't like 12 I would have flipped my :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:.
The best thing to do is reverse back over it to put it out of its misery.
Reply 11
so what? one less furry little :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:er in this world
Reply 12
when I was in primary school I was walking home and suddenly heard this loud bang and and a cat like scream....., and so turned to look and saw fur flying everywhere and a white van speeding past.

The saw a bloody cat howling and limping across the road, he didn't make it that far and got slower and slower till eventually he collapsed and stopped moving. It was still in the road. A random man came by and picked the dead cat up [out of the road] and leaned it against someone's wall.

I felt sorry for that cat...
Original post by Jin3011

Ohhh, that's horrible. :console:

I would suggest talking about the incident with people who can listen to you a bit, it's really hard otherwise to get things like this out of your head.
Original post by Sammylou40
I'm sorry you saw something so traumatic.
Even the thought will disturb my sleep, never mind seeing it!!!
Hopefully the suffering was over quick
A similar thing happened to mine a few years ago. Fortunately for her she died in seconds and didn't suffer. I got to bring her home and bury her.
And the boy racing idiot that did it, driving at 50 through a very small family estate may or may not have noticed lots of scratches on his car a few days later. How they got there ive no idea!!

Similar thing happened to my dad's dog when he was little, except that his fell into a train track.
Coincidentally, a train came by that very second.
No need to go any further. :cry:
Original post by ClearSky
Similar thing happened to my dad's dog when he was little, except that his fell into a train track.
Coincidentally, a train came by that very second.
No need to go any further. :cry:

Oh no!!
Original post by Valkyrie975
It has 8 more lives, relax

What if the same thing happens to you and someone tells the same thing for u?
Original post by Nerry
so what? one less furry little :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:er in this world
could say the same about people you evil nutter
Original post by Tootles
:console:
I saw a cat killed a couple of years ago, took everything I had not to crack up as I love cats. And, I'm afraid to say, I was in the car once when my dad ran one over... he, like my mum and me, is a big cat lover, and he was inconsolable for ages afterward.
:sad: :cry2:
Its horrible for sure
Would you say the same about a person ?, humans are just animals ( primates). Cats are sentient beings also

Quick Reply

Latest