The Student Room Group

People obsessed with a babies looks e.g. green greyish eyes fair skin

We have recently had a baby in the family and the babies is cute god bless her but I have noticed a lot of obsession with her looks in the Indian family like they see her fair skin and green greyish eyes and just say oh she's going to be beautiful and are soo happy that she's fair and got light eyes. I just find this absolutely sad how people can be soo obsessed with a babies looks than anything. In particular having light features.
I don't think this is so much an obsession with the baby as an obsession with light, typically Caucasian colouring. This kind of idolisation is quite widespread in Asia and particularly prevalent in India. There are even skin lightening creams that have tradenames such as ''fair and lovely.'' In any case, having fair skin and light eyes doesn't mean you're going to be beautiful, there are plenty of pale, ugly trolls in this world.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
I don't think this is so much an obsession with the baby as an obsession with light, typically Caucasian colouring. This kind of idolisation is quite widespread across Asia and particularly prevalent in India. There are even skin lightening creams that have tradenames such as ''light and beautiful.'' In any case, having fair skin and light eyes doesn't mean you're going to be beautiful, there are plenty of pale, ugly monsters in this world.

It's honestly horrible I think about people who are more darker and have dark features within the Asian community it's sad how people can be soo focused upon these features than anything. I personally think every baby is beautiful and we shoujldg be soo focused on their looks instead we should be happy they are healthy
Reply 3
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
I don't think this is so much an obsession with the baby as an obsession with light, typically Caucasian colouring. This kind of idolisation is quite widespread in Asia and particularly prevalent in India. There are even skin lightening creams that have tradenames such as ''fair and lovely.'' In any case, having fair skin and light eyes doesn't mean you're going to be beautiful, there are plenty of pale, ugly monsters in this world.

Can't lie it brought a slight insecurity in myself sign my brown eyes. It's stupid but I just feel the Asian community need to wake up it makes us young girls insecure and makes us feel inadequate if we don't have certain features
Original post by Anonymous
Can't lie it brought a slight insecurity in myself sign my brown eyes. It's stupid but I just feel the Asian community need to wake up it makes us young girls insecure and makes us feel inadequate if we don't have certain features

Are the baby's eyes actually green though?? It's quite common for babies to have grey eyes, even babies of a dark ethnicity...the colour usually darkens in the subsequent days and weeks. I agree, it's absolutely silly but I guess the idolisation of typical Western-centric beauty is something that's been going on for centuries. It's sad you have that insecurity and I sincerely hope you can get over it, after all, something such as your eye colour is so unimportant and has no impact on your life.
The features will darken don’t worry, I went from being blonde to having brown hair at the end of childhood

The thing is I am caucasian and am ok with that but other people point out how pale I am (including Asian people) and often say I look poorly. I have just always been naturally pale but it just goes to show that not all light skin is attractive.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 6
True. Even in some African communities, colorism runs deep. I find the obsession with paleness sad. There is so much beauty in diversity and the world would be boring if we all looked the same.

When I was born, I was ridiculously pale and folks there were so obsessed with paleness that random hospital workers were stopping by my mom's room just to look at me. My ears were the only darkened part of me so they made comments like 'she's so beautiful but her ears. It's a shame she might be dark'. I didn't turn out dark but it's sad knowing that most of the people back home who find me attractive will look the other way if I was just a few shades darker. They also made comments about my nose because that's the one part of my face that doesn't lean towards Western standards. I'm 1000% African. I'm not supposed to look Western. Why should I be held to non-African standards? I don't get it.

But I'm glad I've grown past insecurities and don't hold myself to those standards. Different features are beautiful. Never let anybody tell you otherwise.
Reply 7
Original post by Awaitingquavers
The features will darken don’t worry, I went from being blonde to having dark hair at the end of childhood

That's the thing like when features darken I feel like we are no longer considered beautiful inn the Asian community it's upsetting
That's the thing like when features darken I feel like we are no longer considered beautiful inn the Asian community it's upsetting

There are many men whom if you ask what women they find attractive will say Asian women, my uncle being one of them
Original post by DarylO
True. Even in some African communities, colorism runs deep. I find the obsession with paleness sad. There is so much beauty in diversity and the world would be boring if we all looked the same.

When I was born, I was ridiculously pale and folks there were so obsessed with paleness that random hospital workers were stopping by my mom's room just to look at me. My ears were the only darkened part of me so they made comments like 'she's so beautiful but her ears. It's a shame she might be dark'. I didn't turn out dark but it's sad knowing that most of the people back home who find me attractive will look the other way if I was just a few shades darker. They also made comments about my nose because that's the one part of my face that doesn't lean towards Western standards. I'm 1000% African. I'm not supposed to look Western. Why should I be held to non-African standards? I don't get it.

But I'm glad I've grown past insecurities and don't hold myself to those standards. Different features are beautiful. Never let anybody tell you otherwise.

Another point is I remember an Asian girl telling me that in her culture once women are age 30-35 they are considered ‘past it’. You can sort of pick up on this in the western culture but this view seems a lot stronger in Asian communities. So if women (of all cultures) loose their appeal and spend the rest of their lives being old after this age anyway does skin colour really make a difference.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 10
Original post by DarylO

That's honestly crazy It makes me feel soo sad how little babies can be picked on for their appearance. It's really shallow world, every skin colour and feature is beautiful. But the obsessision of pale features is prevailing still which is shocking.
Reply 11
Another point is I remember an Asian girl telling me that in her culture once women are age 30-35 they are considered ‘past it’. You can sort of pick up on this in the western culture but this view seems a lot stronger in Asian communities. So if women (of all cultures) loose their appeal and spend the rest of their lives being old after this age anyway does skin colour really make a difference.

That is soo true, if we don't get married by 30 everyonw is worrying "who's going to marry her". It's sad.
Reply 12

That's another point I absolutely relate with. It's surprising how similar our issues are. Back home, by the time you're 21, they're already pressuring you about getting married and talking about your future kids. Those who wait till 30-35 are mocked and treated like they have personality issues. It's like you have not succeeded until you have a ring and a bunch of kids. But men there are allowed to joke around till their 40s.

I speak to childhood friends from there. They're already asking me when I plan to find a husband. I also had a lot of older men trying to ask my parents for my hand in marriage. I'm 20. I don't want to talk about marriage or children.
Reply 13
That's honestly crazy It makes me feel soo sad how little babies can be picked on for their appearance. It's really shallow world, every skin colour and feature is beautiful. But the obsessision of pale features is prevailing still which is shocking.

Exactly! I can't imagine looking at a baby and thinking 'she's too dark' or 'he would look better if he was pale'. That's crazy. It's hurting our younger ones. I still remember a neighbor that came up to me crying and saying she was ugly because she was dark. She was only 5. That shattered my heart.

I've always found beauty in all shades, and I hope with time, colorism will fade out. It's not as bad as it used to be so I have hope that things will get better.
Original post by DarylO
That's another point I absolutely relate with. It's surprising how similar our issues are. Back home, by the time you're 21, they're already pressuring you about getting married and talking about your future kids. Those who wait till 30-35 are mocked and treated like they have personality issues. It's like you have not succeeded until you have a ring and a bunch of kids. But men there are allowed to joke around till their 40s.

I speak to childhood friends from there. They're already asking me when I plan to find a husband. I also had a lot of older men trying to ask my parents for my hand in marriage. I'm 20. I don't want to talk about marriage or children.

So women basically spend most of their lives being old : D If you live till you are 90 and old and unattractive at 30, that’s a good 60 years being old. So I wouldn’t pay much attention to peoples views on age, I would place importance on health and skills join some sport/fitness clubs etc.
Reply 15
So women basically spend most of their lives being old : D If you live till you are 90 and old and unattractive at 30, that’s a good 60 years being old. So I wouldn’t pay much attention to peoples views on age, I would place importance on health and skills join some sport/fitness clubs etc.

We're old before we're even middle-aged. Can we start claiming pension? :rofl:.

You're absolutely right. I refused to join their obsession with age, and I'm sooo much happier. I'm just focused on doing what I love and achieving my goals. Whether I get married at 30 or 40 or never, I just want to be happy and healthy.
Reply 16
darker skin tones are often associated with lower caste status and have been for a thousand years or more, and so Brahmin-heritage families in particular can be very weird over desiring light skin.

Traditionally the Brahmins have described themselves as 'white-skinned' and the assumption was that the darkest skins were for the sudras. This sort of bias was reinforced by centuries of conquest, colonialism, and outsider rule, even with the Mughals.

This history is deeply ingrained in Indian culture, unfortunately.
Reply 17
Original post by DarylO

That literally sums it up. The marriage talks are going about for me and I'm turning 21 next week can't lie I'm dreading it, it's like a new added pressure each year of things I should be doing. Absolutely annoying and sad.
Reply 18
Original post by gjd800
darker skin tones are often associated with lower caste status and have been for a thousand years or more, and so Brahmin-heritage families in particular can be very weird over desiring light skin.

Traditionally the Brahmins have described themselves as 'white-skinned' and the assumption was that the darkest skins were for the sudras. This sort of bias was reinforced by centuries of conquest, colonialism, and outsider rule, even with the Mughals.

This history is deeply ingrained in Indian culture, unfortunately.

It is sadly just upsets me thinking of these young children thinking they are not adequate because of their looks.
Reply 19
That literally sums it up. The marriage talks are going about for me and I'm turning 21 next week can't lie I'm dreading it, it's like a new added pressure each year of things I should be doing. Absolutely annoying and sad.

Oh no :frown:. They make me so uncomfortable. It makes you feel like your actual accomplishments in life mean nothing. Don't be scared of letting them know you don't want to talk about it or try to change the subject whenever they bring it up. I'm wishing you strength on this journey of adulthood in our cultures. We got this :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending