The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

Days and hours of study

Hi I’m a potential mature student looking to apply to Derby university to do occupational therapy ( undergraduate) . I’m just trying to find out the rough days and hours that you would be in uni . I appreciate it won’t always be the same , but just wondered is it 5 days 8-5 in uni and 5 days placement? Or split between the 2 ? Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hello! Also a mature student and have applied for occupational therapy at Derby. Have you heard anything back yet re interview?
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi 👋

No but I applied after the deadline , so I’m
Doubtful to be honest that I will get one !
How about you ? X Laura
Original post by LD80
Hi 👋

No but I applied after the deadline , so I’m
Doubtful to be honest that I will get one !
How about you ? X Laura

I only just got it in on time as was waiting for my reference! I’ll be touching lots of wood for you. They’ve contacted me to ask to send certificates to them but not heard anything else! 🙈x
Original post by LD80
Hi I’m a potential mature student looking to apply to Derby university to do occupational therapy ( undergraduate) . I’m just trying to find out the rough days and hours that you would be in uni . I appreciate it won’t always be the same , but just wondered is it 5 days 8-5 in uni and 5 days placement? Or split between the 2 ? Thanks

Hi @LD80
I've had a chat with the Occupational Therapy programme lead, Angela Payne, about this.
Our BSc programme is currently being redesigned for this September but generally attendance will be similar to the current programme running now.
For each year, you will have two terms taught at University and one term taught through a practice-based placement.
When you are on campus studying, you are likely to be timetable 2-3 days out of the week. This can be made up of half days or long days and depends how timetabled). The other days are for self study. These days/times change each term.
When on placement, you have 10 weeks in an OT setting where you work full time for the duration of the placement. The placements occur at the end of year 1, middle of year 2 and beginning of year 3.
I hope this helps.
All the best. :thumbsup:
Toby
Reply 5
Thank you so much , that sounds perfect ! I really hope I get in 🤞

Thanks again

Laura
Has anyone heard anything yet? Interviews etc?
Reply 7
No , but as I applied after the deadline I’m feeling doubtful 🙈
Laura x
Reply 8
Original post by Philippa84
I only just got it in on time as was waiting for my reference! I’ll be touching lots of wood for you. They’ve contacted me to ask to send certificates to them but not heard anything else! 🙈x

Have you heard anything yet? I had the email asking for the proofs this week like you . xx
No nothing:-(
Reply 10
No nothing:-(

Keeping my fingers crossed for you xx🤞
Thank you! I emailed to see if they could check progress in general applications but haven’t had anything back…I’m guessing just sheer volume of applicants? X
I am a second Year OT student at Derby doing OT. In the first year, first term it was 12.30 until around 4pm on Mondays, Tuesday PM and then Friday for a couple of hours. We had Tuesday and Wednesday off. I didn't find the first time very intense at all.

Second term was around three days with an extra day where we went in for 2 hours for placement prep. We would be in Monday around 9am-1pm, same on Tuesday, Placement prep on Wednesday for 2 hours and Thursday was usually 10am-3pm. No Uni on Fridays. The Wednesday placement prep session was not every week; there were a couple of weeks where we didn't need to go in. Sometimes there are occasional weeks where there is no on campus stuff and you might drop to 2 days here and there.

The third term was full-time placement for 10 weeks.
I've got two children and have to travel 20 miles to campus and managed it well with a part-time job doing round 12 hours week.

Good luck with your application.

Original post by LD80
Reply 13
Original post by Wilma1993
I am a second Year OT student at Derby doing OT. In the first year, first term it was 12.30 until around 4pm on Mondays, Tuesday PM and then Friday for a couple of hours. We had Tuesday and Wednesday off. I didn't find the first time very intense at all.

Second term was around three days with an extra day where we went in for 2 hours for placement prep. We would be in Monday around 9am-1pm, same on Tuesday, Placement prep on Wednesday for 2 hours and Thursday was usually 10am-3pm. No Uni on Fridays. The Wednesday placement prep session was not every week; there were a couple of weeks where we didn't need to go in. Sometimes there are occasional weeks where there is no on campus stuff and you might drop to 2 days here and there.

The third term was full-time placement for 10 weeks.
I've got two children and have to travel 20 miles to campus and managed it well with a part-time job doing round 12 hours week.

Good luck with your application.

Thank you so much ! That’s really helpful and it sounds like it would be very manageable with children too which was a concern I had . I’m a similar distance away too . Thanks again and. Really hope I get it , the more I hear ,the more I want to be there !! I currently work full time in school with SEN children but I have the possibility to drop hours .
Thanks again for taking the time to reply and good luck with your studies :smile: Laura x
It’s so reassuring to hear of someone with children also doing the course! I’m about 45 mins away and that’s been a bit of a concern but I guess I would just have to deal with it! Also two children and a hubby who has a high pressured job but really would like to have something for me. Previously been a primary school teacher for 12 years but need a change. Are you enjoying the course content?
It’s so reassuring to hear of someone with children also doing the course! I’m about 45 mins away and that’s been a bit of a concern but I guess I would just have to deal with it! Also two children and a hubby who has a high pressured job but really would like to have something for me. Previously been a primary school teacher for 12 years but need a change. Are you enjoying the course content?

I'm really enjoying the course content. I've just finished my second placement and for me, the placements are the best part of the course - really interesting and I've enjoyed every minute.. There are quite a few parents on the course and I am sure there will be plenty in your cohort too. It's nice to have other people in the same boat.
Original post by Wilma1993
I'm really enjoying the course contents. I've just finished my second placement and for me, the placements are the best part of the course - really interesting and I've enjoyed every minute.. There are quite a few parents on the course and I am sure there will be plenty in your cohort too. It's nice to have other people in the same boat.

Thanks for such a lovely message! Great to hear!
Has anyone heard anything? Still nothing this end! I was contacted to ask for my GCSE certificates again- however I submitted these over a month ago! Feels a long wait.
Reply 18
I went to the applicant open day and was the only one that hadn’t hit a place .. so I retracted my application as I thought it meant it was unsuccessful as I hadn’t heard 😢 maybe next year 🤞
Oh no, I’m so sorry. How was the open day? I have emailed Karen Newberry. I was contacted to ask for my GCSE results, which I submitted. Over a month later, I’ve been contacted again to ask for exactly the same information. It hadn’t been attached to my file!! I have no idea what to think at the moment! Had applicants all had interviews etc?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending