The Student Room Group

Balancing study, practise, chores, extracurriculars and excelling at all of it?

I am about to go into Year 10 and continue my GCSE course. I am one of the top 3 in my year because I work very hard. I am joining some extracurricular music groups next year outside of school which will take up a lot of time. Since my parents are busy working I have to cook dinner for the family almost every day of the week and keep the house clean. I am also a musician of 2 instruments at grade 5-6 level and I need to do regular practise. How can I be able to do all of this and still keep up my standard of work for it all?
Reply 1
Original post by Etijo
I am about to go into Year 10 and continue my GCSE course. I am one of the top 3 in my year because I work very hard. I am joining some extracurricular music groups next year outside of school which will take up a lot of time. Since my parents are busy working I have to cook dinner for the family almost every day of the week and keep the house clean. I am also a musician of 2 instruments at grade 5-6 level and I need to do regular practise. How can I be able to do all of this and still keep up my standard of work for it all?

How many hours a day would you say are taken up by cooking, cleaning, studying, music practice and school (seperately)?
Reply 2
Original post by Duckfaces
How many hours a day would you say are taken up by cooking, cleaning, studying, music practice and school (seperately)?

9 hours for school (including travel) , 2 hours for music practise, 2 hours for cooking and cleaning and then whatever is left over (about 2-3 hours) studying.
Reply 3
Original post by Etijo
9 hours for school (including travel) , 2 hours for music practise, 2 hours for cooking and cleaning and then whatever is left over (about 2-3 hours) studying.

Sorry if this isn’t helpful, but perhaps prioritise different areas of the house so you’re not cleaning the same areas every day (shortens time), and keep the studying to two hours max. You should have eight hours to sleep and that extra hour will be left to get ready but I’m not sure about free time. Are you always cooking from scratch?
Reply 4
Original post by Etijo

And on the days you aren’t cooking and cleaning, prioritise getting as much free time to yourself as possible.
Reply 5
Original post by Etijo

You need to tak to your parents. You'll need to cut down on cooking/cleaning - why aren't siblings helping? Most parents work and cook; why don't they?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
You need to tak to your parents. You'll need to cut down on cooking/cleaning - why aren't siblings helping? Most parents work and cook; why don't they?

I don't have any siblings, and my parents are at work 12 hours a day 5 days a week .each. They cook and clean on weekends though.
Reply 7
Original post by Duckfaces
Sorry if this isn’t helpful, but perhaps prioritise different areas of the house so you’re not cleaning the same areas every day (shortens time), and keep the studying to two hours max. You should have eight hours to sleep and that extra hour will be left to get ready but I’m not sure about free time. Are you always cooking from scratch?

Usually I cook from scratch, but if I don't have time (like during exams) I buy pre-cooked meals but they can be expensive so I try not to do it too often :/
Reply 8
Original post by Etijo

A tip is with cleaning unless the house is really messy just hoover every other day or every 2 days and wipe the surfaces that are being used everyday and just do a more thorough clean once a week
Reply 9
Original post by Etijo
I don't have any siblings, and my parents are at work 12 hours a day 5 days a week .each. They cook and clean on weekends though.

They cannot expect you to do the work - why are they exceeding the legal number of working hours?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 10
They cannot expect you to do the work - why are they exceeding the legal number of working hours?

They're both GPs so they stay after work to finish the paperwork they've accumulated throughout the day, so I guess it's not technically 60 hours but they don't usually get home until 8-9PM
Original post by Etijo
They're both GPs so they stay after work to finish the paperwork they've accumulated throughout the day, so I guess it's not technically 60 hours but they don't usually get home until 8-9PM

They need to organise themselves not expect you to do that. Talk to them - you need to study to do well [and I guess they would want that?]. I'm a mum and a teeacher - long hours marking but no way would I have expected my son to cook for us.
Reply 12
They need to organise themselves not expect you to do that. Talk to them - you need to study to do well [and I guess they would want that?]. I'm a mum and a teeacher - long hours marking but no way would I have expected my son to cook for us.

Thank you for the help. I will try to talk to them about it.
Original post by Etijo
Thank you for the help. I will try to talk to them about it.

Good luck - they may not realise how much time you are spending. One way would be for them to batch cook meals at the weekend then all you need to do is reheat during the week. Cleaning can be minimal during the week - just essential stuff then blitz it [everyone] at the weekend.

Quick Reply

Latest