The Student Room Group

Has anyone ever been happy that you left a stressful environment?

So say for me drop out of A Levels?
Dropping out of A Levels is a big decision. Unless you have thought of the pros and cons and have a back up plan on how to achieve whatever your end goal is, don't make a rash decision. Perhaps speak to someone you trust like a parent, teacher or guidance counselor. And I don't mean a friend. Most friends often wish best for us but sometimes they don't have the maturity or foresight like an adult with more experience might have. A Levels has always been stressful but sometimes its our environment that makes it even more stressful. If so think about how you could change that instead of quitting A Levels altogether.
Well yeah, but I don't see much connection between people being happy to leave stressful situations in general and the consequences of you dropping out of education.
Reply 3
Original post by Obsidian♡Hart
Dropping out of A Levels is a big decision. Unless you have thought of the pros and cons and have a back up plan on how to achieve whatever your end goal is, don't make a rash decision. Perhaps speak to someone you trust like a parent, teacher or guidance counselor. And I don't mean a friend. Most friends often wish best for us but sometimes they don't have the maturity or foresight like an adult with more experience might have. A Levels has always been stressful but sometimes its our environment that makes it even more stressful. If so think about how you could change that instead of quitting A Levels altogether.

If it's stressing you out to the point where you stop eating, drinking and taking care of yourself, and damaging your physical and mental health I think it's best you leave, and the only reason I would leave is if mental health is a problem.
Reply 4
Original post by StriderHort
Well yeah, but I don't see much connection between people being happy to leave stressful situations in general and the consequences of you dropping out of education.

Education is stressful, and there's a little bit of stress and too much stress to the point where you cry and have multiple breakdowns and have panic attacks, heart pounds out of your chest and can't sleep. That's when it's best that you leave or do other courses that have less exams, exams are stressful but one could argue that coursework is also stressful.

There are also many stressful things in life like stresses with being a student, a teacher, having a baby and becoming a parent and much more but unfortunately you can't just run away from the stress like you can with dropping out of education and avoiding stress with education. When you become a parent you can't just abandon your child/baby can you?
Anyone in a stressful situation is likely to want to leave it.
I'd say personally the most helpful thing I've found with finding a good solution is to shift my thinking.

Instead of thinking about what I want to stop doing/leave I've tried to think about what I want to start doing instead.
Focus on the pull factors for a new positive situation instead of focusing on all the reasons I want to leave.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Anyone in a stressful situation is likely to want to leave it.
I'd say personally the most helpful thing I've found with finding a good solution is to shift my thinking.

Instead of thinking about what I want to stop doing/leave I've tried to think about what I want to start doing instead.
Focus on the pull factors for a new positive situation instead of focusing on all the reasons I want to leave.

Well yeah that's focusing on the positive rather than the negative and then you just leave.
Original post by Anony345533
Well yeah that's focusing on the positive rather than the negative and then you just leave.

Do you have any thoughts about what you'd like to do instead of A levels? A different course? A job? An apprenticeship? Volunteering?
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
Do you have any thoughts about what you'd like to do instead of A levels? A different course? A job? An apprenticeship? Volunteering?

A job

Quick Reply

Latest